Boat Blacking Recommendations 2024

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, Augustamay60 said:

Good morning, I can do blacking and 2pk epoxy at our yard at Sawley marina. I have a date free next month due to cancellation. Let me know if you want a price and more info. Cheers James. 

River levels permitting!!!

Do you offer gritblasting too?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

This is encouraging! Have your cruising routes been relatively kind in that period or has it just stood up incredibly well to the scrapes and dings which are practically unavoidable in some areas?

Many many narrow locks, lots of BCN stuff. We like locks! The rubbing strakes get scraped of course, and they may go a bit rusty, but that is what they are for. The main thing I notice with bitumen blacked boats is the line of rust at the waterline. You don’t get that with a 2-packed boat.

Even when you scrape it a bit, if the surface is properly prepared (blasted) the stuff is sort of ingrained into the surface so whilst it might look a bit scratched, it doesn’t rust much.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

River levels permitting!!!

Do you offer gritblasting too?

We can do grit blasting but we have a scabbler and a bristle blaster which takes boats down to bare steel also for 2pk epoxy most of the 2pks we do are done this way. It also saves you £1000 for sand blasting. We apply 2 coats of jotamastic 90 and a 3rd at the waterline. Around £1600 for the sides on a 57ft boat without blasting and £3000 including blasting. Let me know if you want a proper quote. 

Thank you, Augustamay60, and everyone who responded. I'd put a 'greenie' on your posts, but I'm not quite sure what it means! Haha!

I tried Trevetheck, no joy, and I'm now booked in with Langley Mill Boatyard on the Erewash for early June.

Excellent result. Thank you all. :D

3 minutes ago, Lovemyboat said:

I tried Trevetheck

I'm not really surprised, I know that because of their reputation and 'quality' I had to book 18 months in advance.

I'm sure it'll all go well for you, Langley Mill have a strong following so they must be doing "summat right"

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not really surprised, I know that because of their reputation and 'quality' I had to book 18 months in advance.

I'm sure it'll all go well for you, Langley Mill have a strong following so they must be doing "summat right"

The price is VERY right, its £5 a foot and more expensive down the main GU.!!

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Lovemyboat said:

Thank you, Augustamay60, and everyone who responded. I'd put a 'greenie' on your posts, but I'm not quite sure what it means! Haha!

I tried Trevetheck, no joy, and I'm now booked in with Langley Mill Boatyard on the Erewash for early June.

Excellent result. Thank you all. :D

I'm glad we were able to fit you in, we look forward to seeing you soon!

On 11/04/2024 at 12:59, nicknorman said:

Many many narrow locks, lots of BCN stuff. We like locks! The rubbing strakes get scraped of course, and they may go a bit rusty, but that is what they are for. The main thing I notice with bitumen blacked boats is the line of rust at the waterline. You don’t get that with a 2-packed boat.

Even when you scrape it a bit, if the surface is properly prepared (blasted) the stuff is sort of ingrained into the surface so whilst it might look a bit scratched, it doesn’t rust much.

Thanks Nick, that helps. You hear so many evangelists one way or the other, but it's hard to assess when their usage patterns are unknown and might be extra light or harsh. Got mine coming out for a blast and 2 pack with Norton Canes later this year.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

No availability this year

We’ve one slot in November this year, but I’ve sent off two quotes this week, so hopeful of filling it soon… book is already open for next year.

21 minutes ago, sarahavfc said:

We’ve one slot in November this year, but I’ve sent off two quotes this week, so hopeful of filling it soon… book is already open for next year.

The second quote was me