Baton Twirlers Stage Protest (again)

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe there should be a list of "Inland Waterways Ships Papers" (as per sea-going cruising boats) that must be carried by the boat / skipper at all times.

1) Insurance

2) BSS

3) Mooring status

4) Licence

I'm out a lot.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Our marina has issued us a new style receipt this year which shows the marina details, boat details and the number of nights paid for which is 364 so we can provide evidence to CRT when renewing our licence.

I have not gone through this yet. How do you actually SEND the prof of mooring contract to CRT, is your marina issuing it electronically so you can forward it

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have not gone through this yet. How do you actually SEND the prof of mooring contract to CRT, is your marina issuing it electronically so you can forward it

If it comes on 'paper' just photograph it (or scan it) and you have an electronic copy to provide to anyone who asks.

I expect that most marinas will email the mooring contract to he moorer who can then email it to C&RT.  We certainly got our contract with park Fam by email several years ago. Marinas might provide a shorter version just giving the info C & RT will need . We didn't have that problem when we renewed our licence as we don't plan to leave the marina yet 🙂 

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Do you all have to ship out on one night then??

Maybe the way they have quoted it is misleading as it runs 1st April to 31st March which is 364 days.

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes they emailed us a PDF, as license doesn't renew until October won't find out until then if we need to provide that to CRT.

2 hours ago, Momac said:

Or perhaps C&RT should bring their online system up to date so the boater can share the insurance certificate and receipt for the moorings.

If this is a challenge for some boaters then perhaps simply requiring the boater to have evidence available in case of being asked for it by a C&RT employee.

They should also require that a uptodate photo of the boat is upload with the application. This is the case with Waterways Ireland as it makes is easyier to spot a boat with a choned licence afterall most boat checkers don't known how to tell who the builder was. Ireland also has two types of licence depending on how long you plan to moor on Visiter moorings at any one time, with a lower licence fee for a stay under five days.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe there should be a list of "Inland Waterways Ships Papers" (as per sea-going cruising boats) that must be carried by the boat / skipper at all times.

1) Insurance

2) BSS

3) Mooring status

4) Licence

And a copy of the rules of navigation as well.

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

They should also require that a uptodate photo of the boat is upload with the application. This is the case with Waterways Ireland as it makes is easyier to spot a boat with a choned licence afterall most boat checkers don't known how to tell who the builder was. Ireland also has two types of licence depending on how long you plan to moor on Visiter moorings at any one time, with a lower licence fee for a stay under five days.

It would also be allow CRT to identify boats which display neither name or registration number, (as required in their bylaws) and perhaps take action.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It would also be allow CRT to identify boats which display neither name or registration number, (as required in their bylaws) and perhaps take action.

You can aready hear the screams of outrage from the 'Bargees' about their human rights not to be identfiled or recorded. 

On 30/03/2024 at 10:34, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I hear Council Tax is going up, 👍

It’s been such a bargain for such a long time it’s well over due a good increase,

I always thought CT was supposed to reflect the value of the house?

perhaps CT ought to rise at the same rate as the value of the house?

Popular misunderstanding. From Gloucestershire website (as an example)

Business Rates are worked out based on your property’s rateable value. A property's rateable value is an assessment of the annual amount the property would rent for if it were available to let on the open market at a fixed valuation date. 

The estimate is made by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). 

Until 31 March 2023, the rateable value will be based on a valuation date of 1 April 2015
From 1 April 2023, the rateable value is based on the valuation date of 1 April 2021
What is my rateable value?

Just now, nbfiresprite said:

You can aready hear the screams of outrage from the 'Bargees' about their human rights not to be identfiled or recorded. 

They would scream even louder if CRT ever found a way to revoke unidentified boats licences in the same way to do persistent overstayers.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

They would scream even louder if CRT ever found a way to revoke unidentified boats licences in the same way to do persistent overstayers.

I doubt that find a way to do it is the hard bit - find the money to enforce it, is

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Our marina has issued us a new style receipt this year which shows the marina details, boat details and the number of nights paid for which is 364 so we can provide evidence to CRT when renewing our licence.

But it is a leap year so you are one night short

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I doubt that find a way to do it is the hard bit - find the money to enforce it, is

True, finding the money to do any maintenance, let alone enforcement now seems to be a challenge.

29 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Popular misunderstanding. From Gloucestershire website (as an example)

Business Rates are worked out based on your property’s rateable value. A property's rateable value is an assessment of the annual amount the property would rent for if it were available to let on the open market at a fixed valuation date. 

The estimate is made by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). 

Until 31 March 2023, the rateable value will be based on a valuation date of 1 April 2015
From 1 April 2023, the rateable value is based on the valuation date of 1 April 2021
What is my rateable value?

Umm.... that exert is for Business Rates. 

Business Rates are assessed on a different basis from Council Tax. 

6 hours ago, Momac said:

Or perhaps C&RT should bring their online system up to date so the boater can share the insurance certificate and receipt for the moorings.

If this is a challenge for some boaters then perhaps simply requiring the boater to have evidence available in case of being asked for it by a C&RT employee.

The Middle Level require that you sent copies of both the insurance certificate and the BSS with the licence application either by post or email. As there are only three marinas on the Middle Level. They are checked often by the enforcement officer for unlicenced boats. Boats without moorings don't have a licence as to get one you need to have a mooring. Which the NBTA claim is unfair as is the licence for their members are poor.    

21 minutes ago, Lady M said:

We did.

:o Unbelievable!

I posted that tongue in cheek.

Your mooring people don't miss a trick do they?

When the calendar was altered by one of the Roman Emperors the plebs rioted because they thought they were losing part of their life, I think you should do the same! :)

It's not only the Bristol end of the K&A that is overun with CMers, it is now Bristol itself ................

Bristol becomes van dweller capital of the UK with 800 people living at the side of the street struggling in the cost of living crisis.

Bristol has been named the van dweller capital of the UK with 800 people living at the side of street as families continue to struggle with the cost of living crisis. 

There has been a surge of people living in motorhomes, caravans and converted vans in the last year as they battle not only with the economic climate but the nation-wide housing crisis.

Amongst the new community are David and Daniela Fernandes, who moved to the UK from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Mr Fernandes, 51, said: 'It's easy to move from place to place and we don't have to pay rent and all the other things.'

Bristol has been named the van dweller capital of the UK with 800 people living at the side of street

His daughter Anna, 17, is planning to move from Portugal to study law at the University of Bristol, said she will likely follow suit and live in a van if she's accepted. 'When I work I will have less bills to pay, so it's easy,' she told the Times.

According to a report by Bristol City Council, the number of vans has quadrupled since 2020, with only 100-150 people living in vans three years ago. 

Bristol has become the most expensive place to rent in the UK outside of London - with the average monthly rent costing £1.734. It came after the pandemic when people left the capital for cheaper and more rural alternatives. 

Residents living near the Downs in the leafy village of Clifton want to see 'tougher enforcement action' on those dwelling in vehicles, according to councillor Steve Smith.

And the same complaint as the NBTA have ...................

In May, van dwellers accused the council of trying to 'criminalise our lifestyle'.

Gareth Jones, 28, a clerical assistant who lives near Clifton Downs told MailOnline: 'It is concerning, not just for the lack of clarity in the wording of it. It is indicative of a drive to criminalise our lifestyle.

'I am generally concerned about an overly intrusive state apparatus and this makes you feel unwelcome. As soon as anyone raises a fuss, there tends to be a clamp down. I am surprised the locals are as okay as they are with us being here.'

Full article and pictures here Bristol becomes van dweller capital of the UK with 800 people living at the side of the street struggling in the cost of living crisis (msn.com)

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

You are assuming that most of the stealth boats bother applying for a licence ... can't really see them uploading a photo if they're not.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Umm.... that exert is for Business Rates. 

Business Rates are assessed on a different basis from Council Tax. 

I may have the thread tangled up but I thought the post was about marina moorings and I also thought that they are generally subject to CT on the business, although there is, I think, an option to charge it on individual moorings.

However, from Wikipedia for Council Tax:

Each dwelling is allocated to one of eight bands coded by letters A to H (A to I in Wales) on the basis of its assumed capital value (as at 1 April 1991 in England and Scotland, 1 April 2003 in Wales). Newly constructed properties are also assigned a nominal 1991 (2003 for Wales) value.

Same point, though, it is based on a value at a fixed point in time.