Squeak! Squeak!

Featured Posts

Had this odd noise under the shed, a rhythmic bumping sound. Had a look and it squeaked!

One of the rat traps that I put out last December had trapped a brown rat. I baited them with sweet corn and this is the first capture.

So now I had a very much alive rat in the cage to get rid of.

No point in rehoming it, they only cause grief elsewhere, and I am not paying to have it put down. Can't get it out of the trap safely to bash it to death, besides I don't want it splattered everywhere.

Mindful of Weils disease, I dunked the trap in the canal for half an hour. Then dropped the corpse into the cut.

The end.

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Had this odd noise under the shed, a rhythmic bumping sound. Had a look and it squeaked!

One of the rat traps that I put out last December had trapped a brown rat. I baited them with sweet corn and this is the first capture.

No point in rehoming it, they only cause grief elsewhere, and I am not paying to have it put down. Can't get it out of the trap safely to bash it to death, besides I don't want it splattered everywhere.

Mindful of Weils disease, I dunked the trap in the canal for half an hour. Then dropped the corpse into the cut.

The end.

Makes one wonder why you use a humane trap in the 1st place - why not just get one that breaks their neck - saves you a lot of bovver.

• Greenie 3

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Makes one wonder why you use a humane trap in the 1st place - why not just get one that breaks their neck - saves you a lot of bovver.

Simple. I don't want a dead rat stinking the place out where I cannot get at it, for the same reason that poison is no good.

This way its one less and I can be sure it won't get smelly. Have you ever smelt a dead rat after a few days? Its a stench that you can never forget.

32 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Simple. I don't want a dead rat stinking the place out where I cannot get at it,

Surely if you can get the humane trap into place and get it out with a Rat in it, then you could get a non-humane trap in the same place.

I agree - whilst poison is effective, having a dead Rat hidden away, rotting, is not pleasant.

We do have quite a lot of Rats, streams combined with fields of Maize gives them a super place to live, but when they come around the buildings its time for poison, traps, or ....................................... (The 410)

C4.jpg

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely if you can get the humane trap into place and get it out with a Rat in it, then you could get a non-humane trap in the same place.

I agree - whilst poison is effective, having a dead Rat hidden away, rotting, is not pleasant.

We do have quite a lot of Rats, streams combined with fields of Maize gives them a super place to live, but when they come around the buildings its time for poison, traps, or ....................................... (The 410)

C4.jpg

If you have maise around, its a waste of money and time using rat poison as the antidote to the popular poisons is maise!

The rats know this and will go to eat maise straight after eating the poison. 

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Simple. I don't want a dead rat stinking the place out where I cannot get at it, for the same reason that poison is no good.

This way its one less and I can be sure it won't get smelly. Have you ever smelt a dead rat after a few days? Its a stench that you can never forget.

Why wouldn't you be able to get to a trap that you put in a particular location in the first place? It wouldn't get smelly if you check your traps every couple of days.

I agree with Alan, it's pointless using a humane trap if you then kill it.

Edited by blackrose

My uncle used to have a metal cage rat trap in his shed that he said they used to use before the war when they lived next door to a stable. He said they always used to drown them in a bucket of water.  However, there was a newspaper  report last year of someone being prosecuted for drowning a caged rat, as it was not considered to be a humane way of killing it.  

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo

12 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My uncle used to have a metal cage rat trap in his shed that he said they used to use before the war when they lived next door to a stable. He said they always used to drown them in a bucket of water.  However, there was a newspaper  report last year of someone being prosecuted for drowning a caged rat, as it was not considered to be a humane way of killing it.  

As was the way years ago.

28 minutes ago, MtB said:

WHAT is that?!!!!

Is it a really big rat or a really small bloke holding it? 

Its alleged to be a giant rat caught in a house in Johannesburg, in reality it's a rat caught in Tooting about three years ago but photo is using forced perspective by holding the rat much closer to the camera on the end of a litter picker.

It'd still give me the yips though 😬

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Its alleged to be a giant rat caught in a house in Johannesburg, in reality it's a rat caught in Tooting about three years ago but photo is using forced perspective by holding the rat much closer to the camera on the end of a litter picker.

Youd be wanting that C&H spike for that one 😀

34 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Brilliant!!!

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The end.

Needless cruelty, and nothing to boast about. 

Inaccessible traps can be placed with a wire to retrieve the now dead rat caught in a conventional trap.

So the bleeding hearts don't approve. They are vermin, often hunted out with terriers, poisoned to a slow death, battered to death with a spade. If you lived in the countryside you would just exterminate them any way at all.

5 hours ago, BWM said:

Needless cruelty, and nothing to boast about. 

Inaccessible traps can be placed with a wire to retrieve the now dead rat caught in a conventional trap.

I agree and i suspect the original post was intended to trigger a row, so ignored it.

It's perfectly possible to find a kill trap big enough to take a rat, I actually have a couple, although I tend to deal with rats with the air rifle, the mice on the other hand love peanut butter

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So the bleeding hearts don't approve. They are vermin, often hunted out with terriers, poisoned to a slow death, battered to death with a spade. If you lived in the countryside you would just exterminate them any way at all.

Saw a dead pigeon floating in its back with its legs up in the air today, that weren’t your doing was it?

yesterday it was a dead rabbit I passed,

and a few days before there was a dead dear,

is there no stopping you?

2 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Saw a dead pigeon floating in its back with its legs up in the air today, that weren’t your doing was it?

yesterday it was a dead rabbit I passed,

and a few days before there was a dead dear,

is there no stopping you?

Don't let me catch you sleeping..................................................

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I agree and i suspect the original post was intended to trigger a row, so ignored it.

It's perfectly possible to find a kill trap big enough to take a rat, I actually have a couple, although I tend to deal with rats with the air rifle, the mice on the other hand love peanut butter

Fenn Mk 4 was what I used but they won't kill a Mink

image.thumb.png.ddaf9146762aa85e90aee61505ffa990.png

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

as a rule I tend not to kill anything,

the spiders get a free run on the boat ‘cause they kill the flies,

thing with a trap how can you guarantee it’ll kill something out right ? and the victim ain’t gonna die an agonisingly slow death,

and then you got deal with the mess,

I used to go out shooting rabbits till I realised I was maiming more than I was killing. 

used to live on a farm and farmer would put down poison,

killed the rats ok but then they rotted and the smell took a few weeks to a month to disappear,

mind with the dogs that’d rolled in badger and fox shit one got used to the awful smells