End of my stupid stupid fuse

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, MtB said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UKCable-Ties-Auto-Glass-Fuses-30mm/dp/B07D39WSNJ/ref=sr_1_8

Psssst. Everything after the question mark is not required in your link. Please remember this in the future to try and save the planet.

I only quoted your post cos I don't give a s**t about the planet. If I did, I wouldn't chug all over the place in a diesel propelled steel box.

Thank you

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
Bad language.
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Psssst. Everything after the question mark is not required in your link.

Yeahiknow. You've mentioned this before thanks!

I just posted the whole lot to be annoying ;) 

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It is very bad practice to bypass a fuse with wire, nails or silver-foil. You then have no protection in the event of overload

People post that in jest but those with less knowledge may take it at face value. Yes I have seen tinfoil fuses before now.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

People post that in jest but those with less knowledge may take it at face value. Yes I have seen tinfoil fuses before now.

Not something to say even in jest, I agree.

Practices like these can and do result in fires and fatalities.

For anyone who may have thought that these were a clever substitute for a fuse can I reiterate, never substitute anything for the correctly rated fuse no matter how desperate the circumstances.

• Greenie 3

You need to bear in mind that the current rating of automotive fuses is the current at which the fuse will blow. Fuses for virtually all other uses, such as the 13A fuse for your mains plug, are rated by the maximim current they can carry indefinitely. This is generally around half of the automotive fuse rating. I have a few vintage 1 1/4" glass fuses that are marked with both types of current rating. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

For anyone who may have thought that these were a clever substitute for a fuse can I reiterate, never substitute

Hence why I said what I did :

"Or some silver-foil (cigarette pack stuff was good) wrapped around the old fuse will get you going.

But you will have no fuse protection".

15 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Psssst. Everything after the question mark is not required in your link. Please remember this in the future to try and save the planet

And (potentially) your own account. The "stuff" after the question mark can include (for badly designed websites) your account details etc...

• Horror 1

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not something to say even in jest, I agree.

Practices like these can and do result in fires and fatalities.

For anyone who may have thought that these were a clever substitute for a fuse can I reiterate, never substitute anything for the correctly rated fuse no matter how desperate the circumstances.

This reminds me of the time I was at boarding school.

It was lights out at 9pm and the headmaster would turn of the power with a lever on the fuse box.

We would creep out of the dorm and switch it back on. The headmaster soon found out about this so he took the fuses out of the box.

We the used "pennies" to bridge the gap so we had power again.

The headmaster went ape shit with us but thought it was very clever of us to do this.

He explained to us the risk of fire etc. He agreed to have lights out at 9.30pm if we would leave the fuse box alone.

We won 30 mins !!! 

:)

On 18/01/2024 at 11:40, Slim said:

That's exactly how my dad kept our television going when, with friends and neighbours gathered around, it failed on Coronation Day.

Mind you, it was the Queens coronation and the television a 9" screen Pye resplendent in a wooden cabinet.  Last time I went the Imperial War Museum had one as part of a display.  

We had a Pye 12" :P

On 18/01/2024 at 11:48, MtB said:

Curious, because I don't think I've ever seen 30mm glass fuses used in a car. 

Not since about 1960 that is. Modern cars seem to use spade type fuses, and prior to that, those horrendous 'bullet' fuses.

They tend to be used in after market in-line fuseholders

21 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

We had a Bush TV12.

Our second TV was a 12" Bush (with a chunky rotary channel change on the righthand side).

To be fair, in early days screens were measured laterally rather than diagonally.

6 minutes ago, Slim said:

Our second TV was a 12" Bush (with a chunky rotary channel change on the righthand side).

To be fair, in early days screens were measured laterally rather than diagonally.

There was only one channel!   When ITV started there was a converter fitted which operated by a push-pull knob on the back right of the cabinet.  The reason for the tube measurements was because they were round tubes. 

On 18/01/2024 at 11:48, MtB said:

Curious, because I don't think I've ever seen 30mm glass fuses used in a car. 

Not since about 1960 that is. Modern cars seem to use spade type fuses, and prior to that, those horrendous 'bullet' fuses.

Muggy minors for one minis old ones and many others

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There was only one channel!   When ITV started there was a converter fitted which operated by a push-pull knob on the back right of the cabinet.  The reason for the tube measurements was because they were round tubes. 

We obviously had a different 12" model 'cos the rotary switch gave access to 2 channels 1=BBC and 9= ITV.  

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

We obviously had a different 12" model 'cos the rotary switch gave access to 2 channels 1=BBC and 9= ITV.  

It was a long time before we got ITV in Norfolk and as my granny called it BBCU

The Hilman Imp was ok but I had to do some serious mods. Early models king pins seized up, swollen nylon bushed, the mod was to fit and ream proper bushes with grease nipples. Pneumatic throttle control converted to ordinary cable. Overheating, water pump or head gasket.

• Greenie 1

Indeed, the king pins were sealed "for life", but the life wasn't long!  I retrofitted mine with grease nipples but it didn't improve things greatly.  When I replaced them for the first time  on my then 5 year old Imp, I couldn't shift them and had to remove the hinge assembly and tip one of the technicians in the lab workshop at Plessey to remove the king pin using a fly press.  I had a similar experience with the Harvey Spicer UJs on the rear wheels. The Rootes workshop manual instructed you to "tap gently on the ears of the yoke and the shells will emerge". In practice, removal of the half axle assembly to a heavy vice and slogging on the ears of the yoke with  lump hammer was necessary.   

Edited by Ronaldo47

10 hours ago, bizzard said:

The Hilman Imp was ok but I had to do some serious mods. Early models king pins seized up, swollen nylon bushed, the mod was to fit and ream proper bushes with grease nipples. Pneumatic throttle control converted to ordinary cable. Overheating, water pump or head gasket.

I found most overheating was caused by the fan drawing engine bay heat  through the radiator along with oils etc, my clan was the same, I retro fitted a front radiator and electric fan problem sorted same for imps.

9 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Indeed, the king pins were sealed "for life", but the life wasn't long!  I retrofitted mine with grease nipples but it didn't improve things greatly.  When I replaced them for the first time  on my then 5 year old Imp, I couldn't shift them and had to remove the hinge assembly and tip one of the technicians in the lab workshop at Plessey to remove the king pin using a fly press.  I had a similar experience with the Harvey Spicer UJs on the rear wheels. The Rootes workshop manual instructed you to "tap gently on the ears of the yoke and the shells will emerge". In practice, removal of the half axle assembly to a heavy vice and slogging on the ears of the yoke with  lump hammer was necessary.   

I have king pins on my citroen 2CV based lomax fully rebuilt by someone, that's all the suspension, so I am going to try greasing it this week 

17 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I found most overheating was caused by the fan drawing engine bay heat  through the radiator along with oils etc, my clan was the same, I retro fitted a front radiator and electric fan problem sorted same for imps.

I have king pins on my citroen 2CV based lomax fully rebuilt by someone, that's all the suspension, so I am going to try greasing it this week 

The Kingpins on the 2CV and Dyane are a terrible design. They are sposed to be greased every 1500m or so, and the wheels lifted off the ground to do so. I have changed them on Mrs Rs Dyane a number of times, and it isn't a pleasant job.A number of years ago some chap was offering a ball joint conversion, but it meant sending the swinging arm assembly off for welding and conversion. I never did have it done because the cost was prohibitive, though I'm beginning to wish I had.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The Kingpins on the 2CV and Dyane are a terrible design. They are sposed to be greased every 1500m or so, and the wheels lifted off the ground to do so. I have changed them on Mrs Rs Dyane a number of times, and it isn't a pleasant job.A number of years ago some chap was offering a ball joint conversion, but it meant sending the swinging arm assembly off for welding and conversion. I never did have it done because the cost was prohibitive, though I'm beginning to wish I had.

Reduced weight and increased access might help in my case? But I had forgotten my Ami and the fun and games!

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Reduced weight and increased access might help in my case? But I had forgotten my Ami and the fun and games!

I guess a Lomax is light enough, you wouldn't need to bother jacking it up. Just get someone to lift the front end while you get your grease gun out.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I guess a Lomax is light enough, you wouldn't need to bother jacking it up. Just get someone to lift the front end while you get your grease gun out.

True, I have to be honest it's a candidate for an ev conversion.................😁😁😁😁😁😁