The morons Have Been at it Again.

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Chris Lowe said:

image.png.e6a55e0ca799dd3b7301a00d1b1ae4fd.png

I asked when this happened because the post saying it happened over the weekend was posted Saturday lunchtime, also it says the Volocies can't work until they get new lifejackets and they dont start till March anyway. I wonder if its old news. I will be there in an hour so should see the damage

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I asked when this happened because the post saying it happened over the weekend was posted Saturday lunchtime, also it says the Volocies can't work until they get new lifejackets and they dont start till March anyway. I wonder if its old news. I will be there in an hour so should see the damage

The CRT post in that was yesterday, Sunday.

I've checked to the end of that thread & no mention of it being sorted he says the windows will take ages to sort, hopefully not  you can confirm whats happened.

I thought the vollies there just carried on though winter off their own backs.

Ive seen them each time Ive been down pre Xmas and one even set locks all the way down to Baddesley Basin for me 🙂👍

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, PaulJ said:

I thought the vollies there just carried on though winter off their own backs.

Ive seen them each time Ive been down pre Xmas and one even set locks all the way down to Baddesley Basin for me 🙂👍

You must be paying them with something to get them that far

• Haha 1

OK, They have smashed the windows and damaged the door in the old coal yard office, these have been boarded up no to make them weather tight and "secure". Why they leave stuff in there when they have a solid lockup beside the old lock cottage I don't know, It wouldn't have been hard getting into the yard as they have left a handy footbridge in the way of a flat to step round the end wall. If it happened on Sunday it must have been last week end not yesterday 

DSCF8912s.jpg

DSCF8913s.jpg

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK, They have smashed the windows and damaged the door in the old coal yard office, these have been boarded up no to make them weather tight and "secure". Why they leave stuff in there when they have a solid lockup beside the old lock cottage I don't know, It wouldn't have been hard getting into the yard as they have left a handy footbridge in the way of a flat to step round the end wall. If it happened on Sunday it must have been last week end not yesterday 

DSCF8912s.jpg

DSCF8913s.jpg

Is it vlockie stuff or is it still used by The Rothen group so is there stuff

31 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Is it vlockie stuff or is it still used by The Rothen group so is there stuff

Volockie sue it. They also use the building attached to the lock cottage which looks more secure 

15 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Atherstone is probably my favourite lock flight, but there are unfortunately some real lowlife in the area.

Be extra careful if single handing either end of the day.

Not single handing but never seen anything to raise concerns 

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Atherstone is probably my favourite lock flight, but there are unfortunately some real lowlife in the area.

Be extra careful if single handing either end of the day.

Simply curious, what makes the Atherstone flight your favourite?

It’s ok, easy enough and pleasant but I wouldn’t have it as a favourite.

Made me wonder if I have a favourite,

I’ll have to have a think 🤔 

29 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Simply curious, what makes the Atherstone flight your favourite?

It’s ok, easy enough and pleasant but I wouldn’t have it as a favourite.

Made me wonder if I have a favourite,

I’ll have to have a think 🤔 

They're easy to work, have a decent overnight mooring down the bottom near the old footbridge, but I think it's the changing scenery I like. Also interested in the architecture of the canalside buildings, bridges, sideponds etc.

Mooring at the top ok for a stroll into town but I wouldn't stop overnight there.

Stourbridge isn't bad either..

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

They're easy to work, have a decent overnight mooring down the bottom near the old footbridge, but I think it's the changing scenery I like. Also interested in the architecture of the canalside buildings, bridges, sideponds etc.

Mooring at the top ok for a stroll into town but I wouldn't stop overnight there.

Stourbridge isn't bad either..

I think you are right there, but I have never had a problem when stopping at the top, like last night. Normally going up we would go on a bit further towards Mancetter 

Twenty five years ago we had a lock gate fall off, in the second lock up the Atherstone flight, narrowly missing the stern of our boat. A disgruntled BW employee had removed the collar😱

Vandalism is nothing new

Edited by GUMPY
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you are right there, but I have never had a problem when stopping at the top, like last night. Normally going up we would go on a bit further towards Mancetter 

I can't think why anyone would moor behind the houses opposite the knackered hat factory when you can be out in the open country again in 10 minutes.

We had an evening walk up the lane through the woods to the Church End brewery tap last time, most enjoyable if a little further than I thought!

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I can't think why anyone would moor behind the houses opposite the knackered hat factory when you can be out in the open country again in 10 minutes.

We had an evening walk up the lane through the woods to the Church End brewery tap last time, most enjoyable if a little further than I thought!

I tend to moor out by the BW yard, quiet and peaceful 

Church End brewery tap sounds good, I’ll make a point of visiting there next time.

I usually drink their Stairway to Heaven in the Swan at Brewood if they ain’t got the Sarah Hughes on. 

35 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Church End brewery tap sounds good, I’ll make a point of visiting there next time.

I usually drink their Stairway to Heaven in the Swan at Brewood if they ain’t got the Sarah Hughes on. 

Straight up the lane from Mancetter bridge, but take a torch for the stumble back. I discovered their excellent ales in the George & Dragon at Stoke Golding, it's worth a trip up the Ashby just to go there.

Have you sampled the Golden Glow in the Plum Pudding lately?

16 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Straight up the lane from Mancetter bridge, but take a torch for the stumble back. I discovered their excellent ales in the George & Dragon at Stoke Golding, it's worth a trip up the Ashby just to go there.

Have you sampled the Golden Glow in the Plum Pudding lately?

Ah, yes I know the George and Dragon well and it’s lovely list of beers 

Might be in the Plum Pudding at the end of the month but otherwise haven’t been in since last summer. 
The Golden Glow has always been on good form the few occasions I’ve been in. 

Seeing as you mention the Ashby, have you been in the Lime Kilns the past year? It’s under new management and I’m wondering how it’s doing. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

19 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Ah, yes I know the George and Dragon well and it’s lovely list of beers 

Might be in the Plum Pudding at the end of the month but otherwise haven’t been in since last summer. 
The Golden Glow has always been on good form the few occasions I’ve been in. 

Seeing as you mention the Ashby, have you been in the Lime Kilns the past year? It’s under new management and I’m wondering how it’s doing. 

More than 30 years ago we were in there enjoying a rather nice pint of Pedigree and a packet of crisps, at which point we found out that the dog with another customer at the bar could not only understand English but spell...

As soon as we said "...and a packet of crisps..." he jumped up and looked hopeful while drooling. His owner said "You really shouldn't have used the C-word", so we asked if we should have spelled it out instead. "Nope doesn't work -- let me show you". Turns to the barman and says "Could I have some plain C-R-I-" -- and he'd only got three letters out before the dog jumped up again... 😉

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

The best pint of dark mild I have ever had was Church End Gravedigger Dark Mild.

It was a guest beer in a local pub, but can't  remember which one.

I’ve moored above Atherstone locks and I’ve also moored below the town locks many times and left my boat there unattended overnight. Access to shops and the station is why people choose to moor in the town rather than the countryside. I’ve also single handed the flight at various times of day including early and late and in near darkness. Never had even the slightest hint of a problem there.

I also have no expectation of encountering Volockies after 1400, below lock 5, in inclement weather, or in winter.