What are the latest views on the usage of Easy Start

GBW

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

We used to use burning newspaper to start tractors on a frosty morning. Worked a treat

Reminds me of a Waterway Recovery Group dig on the Wilts & Berks sometime in the 1990s. One frosty morning someone attempted to start the dumper by pre-heating it, and melted through the plastic fuel inlet pipe...!

Alec

I'd listen to @Tony Brooks if I were you.
Having previously owned a boat with a 1.5 I know of your pain. That said, I removed the plugs after watching a YT video on the topic and gave them a good clean. After that I lightly greased a drill bit - can't remember the exact size but it was very close to the bore size - I used that to clear the bores (carefully) with the grease holding the dislodged carbon and stopping it dropping on to the piston crown. Once done the engine started much easier. You could also use new plugs if yours aren't too burnt away.

On those really cold days the blowlamp will get you going if the plugs don't. Also make sure your starter battery is up to the job of cranking effectively, a sluggish crank will make for a difficult startup.

2 minutes ago, Journeyman36 said:

can't remember the exact size but it was very close to the bore size

I think the drill size is 7/64", but I always seem to get it wrong, perhaps @Tracy D'arth will conform or correct.

Don't use an electric drill unless it is a low power battery one.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think the drill size is 7/64", but I always seem to get it wrong, perhaps @Tracy D'arth will conform or correct.

Not sure, I think I used a metric size as advised in the YT video. Good point about the power drill - I inserted it and rotated it by hand only, so used only the drill bit, not the drill. It was difficult to turn on a couple of the bores so I locked on a pair of mole grips for leverage. I should also add that on no account must the drill bit be pushed so far in that it could possibly drop into the bore! Same goes for ensuring that the end won't snap off - go slowly with all of this and do not force it.

• Greenie 1

Total piece of madness, but I used to work for Gardners making parts for their diesel engines, never knew what a 7/64 flange was then, but I've reamed out more than I care to remember.

K

Used to be able to use the low octane unleaded as a starter spray............worked well to get an engine primed without burning up the starter ...........the octane has now been upped to 95 ,and its useless ......so back to the ether spray.

8 hours ago, john.k said:

Used to be able to use the low octane unleaded as a starter spray............worked well to get an engine primed without burning up the starter ...........the octane has now been upped to 95 ,and its useless ......so back to the ether spray.

Me thinks someone does not know what the octane rating means. Using a spray of petrol to help start a diesel would be better with a higher octane because it is  a little more resistant to detonation, so would be less likely to produce the shockwave that can damage the pistons/rings.

This does not mean I think it is a good idea or something I would do.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It's actually a 11/64 drill Tony . Cleaning the carbon out made a huge difference to the starting on my BMC 1.5.

21 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

It's actually a 11/64 drill Tony . Cleaning the carbon out made a huge difference to the starting on my BMC 1.5.

Which in metric is 4.37mm. A size unlikely ever to be available so the imperial drill is the one to use. Or 4.3mm possibly as the carbon probably won't notice the missing 0.07mm.

16 hours ago, kevinl said:

Total piece of madness, but I used to work for Gardners making parts for their diesel engines, never knew what a 7/64 flange was then, but I've reamed out more than I care to remember.

K

I filmed a 6L2 Gardner some years ago which had a small hinged pan at the end of the air filter, the late great Jim MacDonald  said 'that's a very cold start'. for extreme climates, fill it with meths, light, and offer it up and crank the engine..... film is on UTube....handcranking a Gardner 6L2.....

4.2mm drill bit is used when you're going to tap a 5mm metric thread, got one in my tapping set, so they are available. Not exactly right but should do the job. A decent engineering shop should stock them.

K

34 minutes ago, kevinl said:

4.2mm drill bit is used when you're going to tap a 5mm metric thread, got one in my tapping set, so they are available. Not exactly right but should do the job. A decent engineering shop should stock them.

K

4.4mm will do the job but take your time and don't force it, take it in a back it off frequently. You need to keep going in until you feel it break through into the precombustion chamber, which is further than the length of the preheater. Hence the long series drill.

The big Rustons in cranes used to have little bowls that swung aside in the intake manifold of each head ....each bowl had a coil of wicking in it,which was saturated with diesel , and lit on fire...........I have never seen one used ,and one of my jobs was to remove the bowls ,and make blanking plates for the holes ,as the manager did not like the idea of crane drivers having permission to light fires in the cranes.

On 04/01/2024 at 12:06, Stilllearning said:

My first boat had a Lister LPWS4 with manifold heater, no glow plugs, and always started even with thick ice round the boat and mooring lines freezing if I was careless enough to drop one in the cut - damhik. 

The LPWS has glow plugs the LPW has manifold heaters or maybe you added manifold heaters and didn’t use the glow pllugs. The LPWS is indirect injection and mine stars easy enough with no heat but you get a lot of smoke in winter if you don’t heat. I always heat with the glow plugs which stay on briefly after start up ( there is a timer fitted) to reduce pollution and get little if any smoke even in winter.

it’s particulates in the oil with the LPWS that necessitate the 100 hour oil change as I understand it as it can run dirty when it is first started

My first boat had a Lister LPWS4 with manifold heater, no glow plugs, and always started even with thick ice round the boat and mooring lines freezing if I was careless enough to drop one in the cut - damhik. 

The LPWS has glow plugs the LPW has manifold heaters or maybe you added manifold heaters and didn’t use the glow pllugs. The LPWS is indirect injection and mine stars easy enough with no heat but you get a lot of smoke in winter if you don’t heat. I always heat with the glow plugs which stay on briefly after start up ( there is a timer fitted) to reduce pollution and get little if any smoke even in winter.

it’s particulates in the oil with the LPWS that necessitate the 100 hour oil change as I understand it as it can run dirty when it is first started

57 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Clearly my memory is mistaken, no need to repeat it though!

It is not his fault really. There seems to be a bug in the forum software, whereby if you quote a post on anything but the latest page, when you click "submit reply" the software submits it and accepts it, but the button still says "submit reply"., so it gets clicked again. This is definitely a bug. I have learned to open another instance of the forum so I can edit out the repeats.

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It is not his fault really. There seems to be a bug in the forum software, whereby if you quote a post on anything but the latest page, when you click "submit reply" the software submits it and accepts it, but the button still says "submit reply"., so it gets clicked again. This is definitely a bug. I have learned to open another instance of the forum so I can edit out the repeats.

Thank you Tony for leaping to my defence! Happy New Year.

16 hours ago, john.k said:

The big Rustons in cranes used to have little bowls that swung aside in the intake manifold of each head ....each bowl had a coil of wicking in it,which was saturated with diesel , and lit on fire...........I have never seen one used ,and one of my jobs was to remove the bowls ,and make blanking plates for the holes ,as the manager did not like the idea of crane drivers having permission to light fires in the cranes.

Bin there done that! 3VRH,(roughly equal to Lister JP3) light a fire in the bowl , climb on the counterweight, put the huge starting handle through the side , hang on to the provided  grab handle with left hand and wind with the right, get it up to about 50 rpm, press the button  to release  the decompressors and away it goes .Can't do it now, too aged, but we finally fixed the electric start and that always gets it going, usually without any fires. Not bad for a 75 year old engine that's not had an overhaul since 1959.😀

I tried easy start once on one of the BMC 1.5D engines in Dulcinea. The noise it made was horrible. Definitely a detonation sound. Totally different to a diesel ignition sound. It was too violent like someone was hammering the engine with a big hollow sledgehammer. 

Never used it again and never will. Terrible stuff. 

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I tried easy start once on one of the BMC 1.5D engines in Dulcinea. The noise it made was horrible. Definitely a detonation sound. Totally different to a diesel ignition sound. It was too violent like someone was hammering the engine with a big hollow sledgehammer. 

Never used it again and never will. Terrible stuff. 

It's hard to overstate how little to use.