will it be narrow enough

marrk chalmers

Featured Posts

If the width was 9ft (2.74m) or less it would be worth looking at road transport. Depending on length it may be possible to put it on a trailer. 

I would ask someone like 

https://www.centralboathaulage.co.uk/

about it. 

No connection I just googled it. Looks like up to 31ft long might be doable. 

They won't want to put their trailer in the water so there will be lifting costs each end but it is cheaper than a wagon.

Just now, magnetman said:

If the width was 9ft (2.74m) or less it would be worth looking at road transport. Depending on length it may be possible to put it on a trailer. 

I would ask someone like 

about it. 

Or Hiab onto the back of a lorry like this Boats Transported - Terry Peach Ltd Tel 023 8061 9887 (hiabhiresouthampton.com)

Just now, magnetman said:

I would ask someone like 

about it. 

They won't want to put their trailer in the water so there will be lifting costs each end but it is cheaper than a wagon.

thank you , that would be the best way  ,but working on i tight buget i thought i'd cruising up the grand union the on to the great ouse

8 hours ago, marrk chalmers said:

i was thinking of going on the great ouse before northampton , don't ming the long way . never been on a boat before.

This has to involve a sea passage. No way of doing it by inland waterways except via the narrow Northampton Arm from Essex.

The other point worth making is that even if you could get down the Northampton flight via the inland route, Peterborough on the Nene is reached before the Great Ouse. To get to the Great Ouse you need to go through the middle level or out into the Wash and back in again 

Edited by rusty69

Also interesting to know what 'converted lifeboat' means..

If it is one of the one-piece type which are often orange or yellow it may prove to be rather unpleasant for actually going boating as the helm is fully enclosed. 

On the other hand if it is a conversion of an open ships lifeboat it might a very practical cruising motoryacht. 

I wonder if a RNLI lifeboat will come out to collect a broken down lifeboat off the coast or if they would think it was another lifeboat...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also interesting to know what 'converted lifeboat' means..

If it is one of the one-piece type which are often orange or yellow it may prove to be rather unpleasant for actually going boating as the helm is fully enclosed. 

On the other hand if it is a conversion of an open ships lifeboat it might a very practical cruising motoryacht. 

I wonder if a RNLI lifeboat will come out to collect a broken down lifeboat off the coast or if they would think it was another lifeboat...

Where we moor at Wells, there are about 4 old lifeboats, and the working lifeboat. One of the old ones is a Dunkirk little ship that is now regularly used as a trip boat. I'm sure if it ever broke down the lifeboat would go and help them. That is if they weren't out on another shout to rescue dog walkers cut off by the tide, which seems to be their main role. 

Edited by rusty69

9 hours ago, marrk chalmers said:

i was thinking of going on the great ouse before northampton , don't ming the long way . never been on a boat before.

Perhaps a little research online to find a UK inland waterways map showing lock widths.  If going by river and canal, that is the only way. Maybe you should do some research into the relevant navigation authority's regulations in resect of mooring and licensing. The Ouse and Nene are the Environment Agency, the Middle Levels that link the two is the Middle Level Commissioners, and the Canals is the Canal and River Trust. You can't just turn up and moor to a random bit of bank for as long as you like. It is also potentially very dangerous to "wild moor" on rivers when they go into flood. Most or all the banks on rivers are owned by someone who may or may bot allow mooring and who may or may not charge for doing so.

Please do a lot more research before you spend too much money, boat living may be more expensive and more difficult than you think.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 3

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

The other point worth making is that even if you could get down the Northampton flight via the inland route, Peterborough on the Nene is reached before the Great Ouse. To get to the Great Ouse you need to go through the middle level or out into the Wash and back in again 

Middle Level should be OK depending on draft, both air and water.

7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This has to involve a sea passage. No way of doing it by inland waterways except via the narrow Northampton Arm from Essex.

You could get up the GU as far as Wolverton Aqueduct then just chuck it over the side onto the Great Ouse.

Seriously though, you do not have the headroom with one of those lifeboats to get under bridges on the Nene and Middle Levels.

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You could get up the GU as far as Wolverton Aqueduct then just chuck it over the side onto the Great Ouse.

Seriously though, you do not have the headroom with one of those lifeboats to get under bridges on the Nene and Middle Levels.

Quite a few of the nene locks are not open now until Apr 2024 anyway 

Edited by rusty69