Boat stuck in Glory Hole - man found on ledge!

RAB

Featured Posts

Dramatic local news headline "Man found on Ledge of High street bridge". Also seems a bit of over-reaction by emergency services (if speculation is right - two fire engines, four divers, water rescue, at least 8 police and high street closed. Admittedly help was needed to get chap and boat out of there. I guess good practice for everyone. Based on all the journalistic detail (link below) my own speculation, at this point in time, was boat couldn't make headway due to fast flow (can be wild through there) or engine issues, so chap tied up and moved onto ledge to get attention or ponder course of action (also probably because he had too much clutter on the bow to get to the front 🤔). Interesting to find out the full facts at some stage.

On a serious note hope the chap and boat are all well.

https://mylocal.co.uk/lincolnshire/feed/138992

image.png.20d49ffe47d5600f45f7db6f04ff7199.png

I can imagine the flow is crazy through there just now. The lower Witham is up about 1.5M at the minute, I guess they just lower stamp end sluice to keep the level down in Brayford pool with a resulting torrent of flow especially through the narrows

4 hours ago, RAB said:

Also seems a bit of over-reaction by emergency services (if speculation is right - two fire engines, four divers, water rescue, at least 8 police and high street closed.

Oh I totally agree with you 🫤

Lincolnshire has more access to water than many other counties, and consequently has a need for a marine unit which includes emergency services, divers, inflatable boats and crews.  Why drag so many of them out because a man got into trouble?

What do you think the headlines and the self opinionated would have had to say if the unfortunate boater had died or suffered a more serious experience when the resources were there ... but not fully utilised?

How do you know he wasn't only rescued because of "two fire engines, four divers, water rescue, at least 8 police and high street closed." ?

Just a thought, which is something I suggest you didn't spend much time doing.

The report I read said he got off the boat to push it as it didn’t have enough power to get through the bridge and the boat then went over to the other side and jammed. He has also had to be rescued on the Trent once before. Why didn’t he let the current push him out when he realised he wasn’t going to make it and instead of getting off use a boat pole.

On 30/11/2023 at 08:00, pearley said:

First thing Jeannette said when looking at the picture. 

Screenshot_20231130-080737.png

I’m sure we’ve all met boaters like this looking as his boat, with all the stuff on the roof and all the stuff in front of his cratch cover. Continuous cruiser or Continuous Moorer? Can’t really see how he couldn’t get out himself, Oh just read he got off the boat onto the ledge to push the boat off and got stranded on the ledge😂😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On 30/11/2023 at 14:58, Dav and Pen said:

The report I read said he got off the boat to push it as it didn’t have enough power to get through the bridge and the boat then went over to the other side and jammed. He has also had to be rescued on the Trent once before. Why didn’t he let the current push him out when he realised he wasn’t going to make it and instead of getting off use a boat pole.

I wonder what got stuck that meant that the boat could drift over to the other side (and stranding him on the ledge) but meant it didn't drift back out on the flow.

• Greenie 1