Paloma water heater won’t light

Clive4

Featured Posts

I have an old Paloma water heater that has stopped lighting 

I get the strong flame when I turn it to the first click position but as soon as you let go it goes out. It just won’t stay lit. 
anyone got any ideas ? 
I had it reconditioned when I first had it 7 years ago by a guy on eBay. Maybe that’s what it needs again or is it a simple fix ? 

Sounds as if the pilot light flame failure device is not working. This may be because the flame pattern of the pilot is distorted, the probe needs adjusting, or it is faulty. Give the pilot light a good blow out or if you feel confident take it apart to clean.

Edited by Tony Brooks

The pilot jet tends to get bunged up.  Push the button on the left side 3 or 4 times before trying to light it.    Clean the gauze round the pilot jet.  If those do  not help the flame failure thermocouple has probably packed up.

Does the pilot fade out over a second or so, or stop immediately you let the ignition knob out?

N

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sounds as if the pilot light flame failure device is not working. This may be because the flame pattern of the pilot is distorted, the probe needs adjusting, or it is faulty. Give the pilot light a good blow out or if you feel confident take it apart to clean.

On the old Paloma, the 'lighting' position adds extra gas so the pilot flame is like a flame thrower while the control knob is held in. This is to heat the thermocouple in double-quick time. I think it does it with a second gas injector used for lighting only.

So as Bengo asks, we need to know next, does the small 'standard' pilot flame establish itself briefly after letting go of the control knob, or is it completely missing?

My guess is the small flame will be missing due to a blocked jet. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

On the old Paloma, the 'lighting' position adds extra gas so the pilot flame is like a flame thrower while the control knob is held in. This is to heat the thermocouple in double-quick time. I think it does it with a second gas injector used for lighting only.

So as Bengo asks, we need to know next, does the small 'standard' pilot flame establish itself briefly after letting go of the control knob, or is it completely missing?

My guess is the small flame will be missing due to a blocked jet. 

No the pilot didn’t light at all. A good flame from the control knob (flame thrower) but as soon as you let go nothing.

I have pressed the button on the side several time to no avail 

It sounds likely to be a blocked up pilot to me. I had similar where the pilot went out when using intermittently ie putting the shower on and off. A very gentle brush over the pilot light sorted that out. 

@Paloma Bob of this realm may advise more. he was probably the eBay contact you made too? 

5 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

SEVEN YEARS since any service?

What else can you expect.

I believe ours had its first service 25 years after purchase- it’s pretty bombproof I believe? 

14 hours ago, BEngo said:

The pilot jet tends to get bunged up.  Push the button on the left side 3 or 4 times before trying to light it.    Clean the gauze round the pilot jet.  If those do  not help the flame failure thermocouple has probably packed up.

Does the pilot fade out over a second or so, or stop immediately you let the ignition knob out?

N

It stops immediately but I think it’s way to old to have a flame failure device on it 

6 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It sounds likely to be a blocked up pilot to me. I had similar where the pilot went out when using intermittently ie putting the shower on and off. A very gentle brush over the pilot light sorted that out. 

@Paloma Bob of this realm may advise more. he was probably the eBay contact you made too? 

I believe ours had its first service 25 years after purchase- it’s pretty bombproof I believe? 

It won’t let me contact @Paloma Bob because I’m a new member here 

hopefully he will see this and contact me 

9 hours ago, Clive4 said:

It stops immediately but I think it’s way to old to have a flame failure device on it 

I am pretty sure all Palomas have a flame failure thermocouple.  You can see it standing up opposite the pilot jet.

N

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2023 at 22:16, Clive4 said:

I have an old Paloma water heater that has stopped lighting 

I get the strong flame when I turn it to the first click position but as soon as you let go it goes out. It just won’t stay lit. 
anyone got any ideas ? 
I had it reconditioned when I first had it 7 years ago by a guy on eBay. Maybe that’s what it needs again or is it a simple fix ? 

If you need to contact me regarding your Paloma water heater, then please give me a call on: 07932 815 207

• Greenie 2