Storm Babet

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Hope you are all moored somewhere safe for this next couple of days. 

Plenty of rain and strong winds in the forecast with ground already saturated and river levels high.

We were in Lincoln at the weekend and the Fossditch was high with a real strong flow through the city centre and Stamp End Lock closed. Hope the narrowboat on the lower lock landing managed to get moored somewhere safe this week!

Won't take much rain to get levels up again.

Babet seems quite a tame name..

I'm on the Thames in Berkshire. River is moderate nothing special. It would take a proper drop of rain to make it interesting. 

I think its all media hype. 

To be fair where I am I only get 25/61ths which is 41 percent of the flow of the River but it is rather narrow here so it moves very fast when it geta going. 

Nothing doing thus far. 

Forecast seems interesting. 

CaRT navigation notice came through today that the new flood gate above Rotherham lock has been closed in anticipation. First time I've seen one of those, so they are expecting something.

BBC article about it being officially opened last November, which is weird, 'cause a flood gate coming in to use should have an official closing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-63639694

@peterboat and other moorers at Tulley's and Eastwood should sleep a little easier.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

CaRT navigation notice came through today that the new flood gate above Rotherham lock has been closed in anticipation. First time I've seen one of those, so they are expecting something.

BBC article about it being officially opened last November, which is weird, 'cause a flood gate coming in to use should have an official closing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-63639694

@peterboat and other moorers at Tulley's and Eastwood should sleep a little easier.

The forecast is for 24 hours of heavy rain falling onto already saturated ground in the Sheffield area so yes plenty of water to make it's way downstream through Rotherham. 

Just been out in our garden and it is absolutely sodden already. Just started raining again after last nights deluge. Heavy rain due to start around midnight here and last into Saturday morning. 

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

If you give it a name it becomes scary.....

Babet is hardly a scary name 😂

It is going to be compounded by Storm Aline from Portugal which will whip up the North Sea tommorow, the usual rain shadow from the Pennines and Scottish Hills is reversed and some serious rainfall totals will occur across Yorks, Northumberland and the East side of Scotland.

Nene just gone onto strong stream. 

Edited by matty40s

Just now, matty40s said:

It is going to be compounded by Storm Alina from Portugal which will whip up the North Sea tommorow, the usual rain shadow from the Pennines and Scottish Hills is reversed and some serious rainfall totals will occur across Yorks, Northumberland and the East side of Scotland.

Thats great news. We are hoping that we will be just behind the storm, but it is still going to be rather nasty I fear.  I am pleased we fitted the stern hood, and put new poppers on the cratch cover.

In fact we will be on a big liner, and it probably won't be too bad, although we will be making well sure we know where the lifeboats are. 

Bucket list - a cruise to celebrate OAP status, Norway to see the Northern lights. I expect I may see more of the loo in the cabin than anything else. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tigerr said:

Thats great news. We are hoping that we will be just behind the storm, but it is still going to be rather nasty I fear.  I am pleased we fitted the stern hood, and put new poppers on the cratch cover.

In fact we will be on a big liner, and it probably won't be too bad, although we will be making well sure we know where the lifeboats are. 

Bucket list - a cruise to celebrate OAP status, Norway to see the Northern lights. I expect I may see more of the loo in the cabin than anything else. 

It's a lumpy route at the best of times that one!

38 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

Setting off across the North Sea to Norway tomorrow. Going to be a bit of a lumpy crossing I fear. Have bought a stockpile of seasick pills for Mrs Tiger and me. 

This was the North Sea 30 mins ago at entrance to Aberdeen harbour. Not a narrowboat in sight…

Edited by nicknorman

20 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

They are usually the big orange things hanging on the side, you cant miss 'em.

1 hour ago, Tigerr said:

Setting off across the North Sea to Norway tomorrow. Going to be a bit of a lumpy crossing I fear. Have bought a stockpile of seasick pills for Mrs Tiger and me. 

From the art of course sailing.

The cure for seasickness, go and sit beneath a tree.

Sea sickness is actually no laughing matter. On one cruise I skippered a crewmember heaved so hard he cracked a rib! 

45 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

This was the North Sea 30 mins ago at entrance to Aberdeen harbour. Not a narrowboat in sight…

Looks like we might need to use the bowthrusters. Hopefully nobody will hear over the screaming wind and crashing waves. 

I am actually wondering if we will leave port at all tomorrow, but we are setting off from Southampton, evening, so by the time we hit the Forties (which looks like something out of The Perfect Storm) it will be Sunday, and maybe it will have calmed down. But if this thing from Portugal comes up the Channel I can see us stuck in Southampton for the weekend. 

Memories of an awful family holiday force 6 overnight crossing to Le Havre in the 1960's - the ferry was literally awash with puke...much of it mine. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tigerr said:

Looks like we might need to use the bowthrusters. Hopefully nobody will hear over the screaming wind and crashing waves. 

I am actually wondering if we will leave port at all tomorrow, but we are setting off from Southampton, evening, so by the time we hit the Forties (which looks like something out of The Perfect Storm) it will be Sunday, and maybe it will have calmed down. But if this thing from Portugal comes up the Channel I can see us stuck in Southampton for the weekend. 

Memories of an awful family holiday force 6 overnight crossing to Le Havre in the 1960's - the ferry was literally awash with puke...much of it mine. 

The Norwegian Fjords to see the northern lights is high on our "bucket list" but we are going to wait until we have more time of work and will do it in a van. 

Less chance of getting seasick that way 😀

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The Norwegian Fjords to see the northern lights is high on our "bucket list" but we are going to wait until we have more time of work and will do it in a van. 

Less chance of getting seasick that way 😀

I went on a Hurtigruten cruise back in 1997. All the way from Bergen to the very north of Norway, nearly to Russia at Kirkeness and back to Bergen in 11 nights. It wasn't a proper "cruise", more of a glorified ferry. The food was nice though. It stopped at many towns and villages on the way to deliver the mail as well as stopping at the major places (Trondhiem, Tromso, Hammerfest etc.) for a few hours. They would announce the exact time they were going to cross open sea between fjords and islands and explain that today it might be a bit rough between 1600 and 1625 but the rest of the time sailing on fjords it was smooth. It was a most enjoyable holiday. I suspect it has gone a bit upmarket now.

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Im off to see the Northern Lights tommorow.

Could be a wet journey, but nothing better than Blackpool illuminations in the rain.

Keep away from all the orange ladies...... never seen so many than in blackpool... they will probably look a bit streaky in the rain.

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Keep away from all the orange ladies...... never seen so many than in blackpool... they will probably look a bit streaky in the rain.

You need a night out in Liverpool if you want to see real numbers of orange young ladies, they invade Chester on race days as well :)

• Greenie 1