One less

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

Often it is said that nobody scraps boats, well here is empirical evidence that it does sometimes happen. Probably just as well. Taken at a Scrapyard in the South Northants area, no donโ€™t ask, as I shall not say ! ๐Ÿ˜†

Apologies if this was your boat, just thought it made a good picture.ย 

A1E24DCC-1EF3-439F-A09C-10D6F05B8B1A.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is easy to jump to the wrong conclusion if you are wanting to make a point.

ย 

The boat was cut into two and each part taken to the boat builder to have an extra length (extension) welded in.

I've seen at least one that was cut in two to load and ship it to a builder, a 72 ft butty that had spent so long there that buildings prevented it from leaving.

Maybe not as the Owls have a step from the gunnel to the starn deck which that doesn't have.ย 

ย 

One hopes it actually is scrap rather than just a cheap starter boat being binned.ย 

Just now, matty40s said:

I raise you, also scrapped today, could have made someone an excellent pram hood with the correct angle grinder.

20231017_164331.jpg

ย 

The Gwiz has an excellent electric motor and controller which could be used in a canal boat.ย 

ย 

I helped a friend take one apart. The motor was great.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Actually quite an interesting electric quadricycle which had Trojan batteries in it.ย 

4 minutes ago, BWM said:

I've seen at least one that was cut in two to load and ship it to a builder, a 72 ft butty that had spent so long there that buildings prevented it from leaving.

I seem to remember that someone up the Erewash canal had a bot cut in half so it would fitย  into his gardenย 

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I raise you, also scrapped today, could have made someone an excellent pram hood with the correct angle grinder.

20231017_164331.jpg

Funny you should say that, I saw a camper van at Hartshill yesterday and I'm sure it had the top of a fibreglass cruiser grafted on to to raise the roof level

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

ย 

The boat was cut into two and each part taken to the boat builder to have an extra length (extension) welded in.

Indeed or the other half will be arriving at the Scrapyard tomorrow perhaps?ย 

23 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I seem to remember that someone up the Erewash canal had a bot cut in half so it would fitย  into his gardenย 

Barry Argent rebuilt Perch in two halves in his back garden.

Perch Barry Argent.JPG

ย 

ย 

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

5 hours ago, Ray T said:

Barry Argent rebuilt Perch in two halves in his back garden.

Perch Barry Argent.JPG

ย 

I had the pleasure of sharing some locks on the upper Shroppie with his father Ike in Amy the Pup when I had my first shareboat.

ย 

Lovely guy who was happy to share his knowledge his extensive knowledge with anyone who showed an interest.

So yesterdayโ€™s photo angle wasnโ€™t great and the suggestion that it was half a boat was not correct.ย 

I was in a bit of a rush, arenโ€™t we all !ย 

So here is the view of the front end , still firmly attached, but erm rather short?ย 

Already been over plated.ย 

BECF3EEB-822C-49EE-BFFE-C61F3B983FA2.jpeg

On 17/10/2023 at 16:22, Alan de Enfield said:

ย 

Did you take the pic?

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I was idly wondering if the thread title should have been 'one fewer' rather than 'one less'.ย 

I think you are right and your grammar is rather better than mine . ๐Ÿ‘