Licences

haggis

Featured Posts

It is good to hear a point of view which is not fixed by personal circumstances. 

Ability to see the bigger picture and the reality is a Good Thing. 

Some people bleat on about the canals being in a parlous state because of incompetent management. I bet if one were to put these people in charge they would not know their arse from their elbow. 

Its a money thing. More money needed by the CRT. Not complex and now they have a captive audience to bleed let the game commence. 

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I think a lot of people are out of touch as to what a decent mooring costs, yes you can EOG in a farmers field, but few and far between and not secure. With the rise in the non-home mooring licence, this might mean Marina’s may up their prices? As @Arthur Marshall said previously a lot of CCers don't know how expensive a Mooring can be.

I'd suggest that, for the average boat in the average marina, £3k per annum won't be too far wide of the mark as a round figure for a working estimate.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Don't think you will find many moorings at £1200 - 1500. Perhaps very short boats..We  have been paying over  £1800 for a basic marina which is one of the cheapest..

I completely agree, but every time I say a mooring will cost £2500-£3000 (we were paying £3500 on the River Trent) several posters jump down my throat and say they have a mooring for £2.50 a year, and another paying £500 for a 'field mooring' etc etc .................

On 19/09/2023 at 13:29, Arthur Marshall said:

I like the bit about some people not being happy about the increases. I'm trying to work out who are the over-joyed ones...

I imagine there are some wealthy weekend boaters, who think this change to licences will magically make the untidy boats they hate so much, dissappear. 

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I completely agree, but every time I say a mooring will cost £2500-£3000 (we were paying £3500 on the River Trent) several posters jump down my throat and say they have a mooring for £2.50 a year, and another paying £500 for a 'field mooring' etc etc .................

and you believe them ?

• Greenie 1

On 20/09/2023 at 09:43, magnetman said:

I wouldn't feel too sorry about someone with a hundred grand wide beam paying a bit more. I'm sure they can afford it..

For people who are on the breadline the state is there to help you and will do so it you need it. 

Apart from anything else the CRT should not be subsidising people who are renting the house out living on a boat.

This is not an appropriate allocation of limited funds. 

Exactly my thoughts. Charging widebeams more isn't really about the extra space or use of facilities that widebeams may or may not entail, it is simply the closest and easiest way for CRT to a means-tested licence increase, in which the more expensive boats pay more.

20 hours ago, MartynG said:

The home mooring is already declared on the boaters online account for the boat. Although not the renewal date.

Insurance is declared including renewal date.

The BSS data is automatically noted on the account  by C&RT.

Some folks on this forum are suggesting very large supplements .

But no one really knows.

i expect some people may make false declarations.

Exactly how would one make false Dec's, do you mean entering a home mooring but not having a home mooring?  I thought CRT take a percentage of all moorings on their waters. 

Asking for a friend :)

On 20/09/2023 at 08:40, magnetman said:

Of course the Gold Licence, which gives you Thames and CRT 24/7/365 is an elephant in this room as it may well end up being less costly than the upcoming cc er widebeam licence. 

Some work needed here to avoid evasive strategies. 

If the surcharges are significant then the Gold licence must either go up or be withdrawn. I would not be that surprised if the EA and the CRT got their heads together and decided to withdraw the Gold Licence quite soon..

I am sure they will just increase it, it is priced like an extra to whatever the equivalent CRT only licence would be anyway, so it wouldn't make sense to be cheaper than a CRT only licence 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Exactly how would one make false Dec's, do you mean entering a home mooring but not having a home mooring?  I thought CRT take a percentage of all moorings on their waters. 

come on, didn’t you have a home mooring? But didn’t?

a genuine mistake most likely 

but

it’s easy done with a simple ✔️

There will be a tipping point for many people who look at the cost of a mooring and the cost of a licence plus insurance and the BSS plus depreciation and ordinary running costs, diesel, batteries, gas, paint, docking, plus everything else and think that owning a boat is not good value for money especially if annual usage is a weekend cruise of 10 miles out and 10 miles back and a fortnight a year in a wet summer. Back in the early 1980's we did the Thames/Oxford/GU 'ring' and that worked out at approx £5 a mile. Not good value unless we lived on as well. Nowadays that would be very much more so it only becomes good (ish) value if you do live on . Expect to see more boats lived on and not always by people who only leave two holes in the bank when they are gone.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Some marinas pay a fee per mooring whether it is occupied or not. The customer does not pay C&RT directly.

37 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Some marinas pay a fee per mooring whether it is occupied or not. The customer does not pay C&RT directly.

I do.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They forget the ancillary costs. I pay about £500 for my field mooring... And another £750 CRT mooring charge on top.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I do.

Okay but I suspect you are not in a marina

3 hours ago, Creaking Gate said:

A wide beam is twice the size of a NB. 

Not all wide beams are twice a wide as a narrowboat

Not all wide beams are constant width  over most of their length like a narrowboat.

Displacement (weight) is a true measure of how much water a boat uses 

Perhaps the license fee should be based on that ?  

I hope to get a few more years in with the boat then we will go and do something involves more manageable costs.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I thought you had declared a home mooring and so lost out on the fuel subsidy for CCs 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought you had declared a home mooring and so lost out on the fuel subsidy for CCs 

Yes I did, and even got accused of fraud by some idiot. I just glaze over when it comes to forms, I think someone on CRT asked where I was, I happened to be in or around the marina, I think it was an overstay or summat. The same overstay that has been documented on here every time some idiot wants to have a dig!