Gray community

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

usually pumping out some sort of Belgian hoover music rather than anything good :( 

Heh. Excellent phrase, I'm going to steal it.

We know what stuff you like to listen to from the song name game, and most of the others on boats would probably prefer the hoover!

(Heathens! ;))

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We know what stuff you like to listen to from the song name game, and most of the others on boats would probably prefer the hoover!

(Heathens! ;))

Don't think @Hudds Lad is a spotty yoof though... 😉

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

(Heathens! ;))

You are welcome to this, its an appalling noise.

34 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

In your opinion -- I'm not that keen but I've heard much *much* worse, a lot of jazz for example. Possibly lots of people might think your taste in music (or mine) is even *more* appalling... 😉

Edited by IanD

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I don't disagree, but I think I would prefer that to the awful drone of Lamin Fofana I was subjected to whilst viewing the Turner collection at Tate Liverpool. 

34 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Close, but no cigar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_sound

I shared a house with two lads at Uni, '90-'92, who were heavily into the whole rave scene so developed a special dislike for that Dominator track.

10 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Close, but no cigar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_sound

I shared a house with two lads at Uni, '90-'92, who were heavily into the whole rave scene so developed a special dislike for that Dominator track.

Good shot.

Its a DeWalt hammer drill, never a Hoover. Is it Belgianesque though?

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

You mean like this? 😉

A travesty,  Does he really play with his left ear?

31 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Oh, I don't know. It could be worse.

Anything/everything by Queen, for example?

😃

Bohemian Rhapsody is the most streamed song of all time so I think you are in a minority. Recorded on 200 tracks, a masterpiece of recording history.

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

To me a more recent phenomenon is the close pass. Moored up on a plenty wide enough bit on a calm flat day, all light through your windows is suddenly blocked out by a boat passing you with a six inch gap between your hulls for no good reason. Perhaps a knock-on from ever shallower canals?

Got to admit, I'm probably a bit guilty of this at the moment on the Trent and Mersey due to coming off the Macclesfield and forgetting what it's like to be on a canal with water in it

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A travesty,  Does he really play with his left ear?

Maybe you'd find out if you actually watched the video. If you don't appreciate their particular combination of musicianship, singing and comedy, you can always mute the sound... 😉

Edited by IanD

Got the hard demented stare off a steerer today. On the deep and fast Ashby. At the time the prop was in clear view and you could hear items in the hold falling over.

It appeared to believe we should get out of its way. The fact one side of our boat was showing 7 inches of green seemed to it to be insignificant, and we should move over more.

As for speed. We left the 15/15 mile marker at 0915 at 1330 we arrived at the 8 mile marker, we never deliberately stopped.
Dug a new hole in the mud and gave up.
Just as we tied up a shiny boat started on about how shallow it was. It was determined to compare draughts and how much deeper his Fudson or woolwich wader was than the real thing with Dr S.  
We emptied the fridge for lunch at which point the  nearby boatyard decided to pump someone out whose tank clearly was last done pre covid.

Gave up and cycled home. Greyer than ever.

Where is the water anyone know

On 08/09/2023 at 10:42, Tracy D'arth said:

Still, its better than the spotty yoof with the music blaring like we had the other week at 7am.

Is it? 7am is a bit keen, but I would much rather see a younger boater enjoying the canal than an older one being miserable!

• Greenie 3

34 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Is it? 7am is a bit keen, but I would much rather see a younger boater enjoying the canal than an older one being miserable!

But why do some people feel the need to inflict their taste in music on everybody else?

In my book its needlessly selfish, rude and unnecessary.

If one enjoys loud music then its perfectly possible to enjoy it via. headphones or ear buds.

54 minutes ago, M_JG said:

In my book its needlessly selfish, rude and unnecessary.

Totally agree. It seems almost every other boat that I pass has a blue tooth speaker blaring on the stern these days. Not just younger people, plenty of more mature folk with Radio 4 blaring. It completely mystifies me.    

Edited by booke23

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/09/2023 at 22:17, M_JG said:

If one enjoys loud music then its perfectly possible to enjoy it via. headphones or ear buds.

I am not sure that gives quite the same effect, certainly not if there a number of you.

The same could be said for narrowboats with diesel engines, certainly poorly silenced ones, but should all boats be steam or electric?
What about wildlife, sometimes the ducks can make a right racket, or tap annoying on the hull? Mass Cull?

How long does it take a narrowboat to come into and go out of ear shot? Live and let live I would say.

Daniel

18 minutes ago, DHutch said:

I am not sure that gives quite the same effect, certainly not if there a number of you.

The same could be said for narrowboats with diesel engines, certainly poorly silenced ones, but should all boats be steam or electric?
What about wildlife, sometimes the ducks can make a right racket, or tap annoying on the hull? Mass Cull?

How long does it take a narrowboat to come into and go out of ear shot? Live and let live I would say.

Daniel

All of those, apart from the loud music are what you expect to hear on the canals and are pretty well unavoidable.

The problem is that noise travels very well over water and the music can be heard well before a boat arrives and long after it has passed. 

Still selfish in my opinion.

I hate paddle boarders who turn up in a quiet place with the sole intent of making it into a noisy place by talking too loudly. 

I think it is genuine ignorance about sound across water but it still makes me want to throw bricks at them.

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I hate paddle boarders who turn up in a quiet place with the sole intent of making it into a noisy place by talking too loudly. 

I think it is genuine ignorance about sound across water but it still makes me want to throw bricks at them.

How about early morning dog walkers and joggers when there is more than one of them?

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How about early morning dog walkers and joggers when there is more than one of them?

Fortunately one does not get these at the country estate as we have no public rights of way. 

I suppose one can end up spoiled by such luxury over time. 

The paddle boarders are a nuisance. This is on the Thames. 

Thankfully with the time of yar getting better it becomes less of an issue. 

5 hours ago, M_JG said:

All of those, apart from the loud music are what you expect to hear on the canals and are pretty well unavoidable.

The problem is that noise travels very well over water and the music can be heard well before a boat arrives and long after it has passed. 

Still selfish in my opinion.

Still remember the prat on the Llangollen a couple of years back with a karaoke amp on top of his boat, singing tunelessly through an amp from about 7pm to 11pm. I moved away, could still hear it three hours travel later.

2 minutes ago, Foggy66 said:

I guess it’s just a reflection of society as whole. The baby boomer generation has guilt edged pensions and lots of disposable income whereas the younger generation are struggling to make ends meet with rising mortgage cost etc. 

But has it always been thus?  I remember when I was first married ( just! )  we had nothing, parents supported us. Our mortgage was a fiddle being four times our monthly earnings. The baby wore nothing new, neither did we, there were no charity shops then. We burnt donated old furniture in one fireplace. There was still rationing.

What has changed is the later generations expectations of what constitutes living.

We had no internet or Netflix etc.  No phone, no TV, no car, no holidays, didn't smoke, gamble or drink much.

Folk expect everything on a plate these days and demand what the next family have and more. 

• Greenie 2

On 11/10/2023 at 22:03, Arthur Marshall said:

Still remember the prat on the Llangollen a couple of years back with a karaoke amp on top of his boat, singing tunelessly through an amp from about 7pm to 11pm. I moved away, could still hear it three hours travel later.

Ditto, I remember that too.

Then only yesterday I was on boat when a fool came past on a widebeam with a very loud speaker on the stern blaring country and western music out…..totally oblivious to the destruction he was doing to the ambience of the canal.