maybe 6 boats have gone up 

🤷‍♀️

it’s been busy enough with other passing boats,

and another boat is coming down as I type

but as dmr says, boats don’t seem to stop here

5620BA7C-7CEB-4F66-8D94-95797CD43A81.jpeg.1ed2c4e6b96e707fb24efd02c07adcb1.jpeg

plenty of water here

59 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Very similar at Stoke Bruerne nowadays too, although the long pound gets some longer staying boats. Lots of threatening signs above top lock making it unwelcoming.

I’ll phone CRT tomorrow and ask how I pay £25 to stay over. 

34 minutes ago, Goliath said:

plenty of water here

I’ll phone CRT tomorrow and ask how I pay £25 to stay over. 

Move down to Market Harbourough, its only a £10 overstay here. Every other visitor mooring has its own water tap so thats a good serviced mooring for £3,650 per year. I would be tempted if the pubs were better 😀

4 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

My admittedly limited experience of the system suggests that the elsan at Foxton (been there once) was way above average but that Snarestone (been there about 6 times), at the top of the Ashby,  was the best. 

Sutton Wharf was pretty good too.

If we are doing best elsan on the system, then Ripon gets my vote, immaculate and complete with visitors book and tourist info.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, dmr said:

Move down to Market Harbourough, its only a £10 overstay here. Every other visitor mooring has its own water tap so thats a good serviced mooring for £3,650 per year. I would be tempted if the pubs were better 😀

What’s wrong with the boozers?

I’m getting to like the Foxton Lock Inn.

😂 🤥
If only you’d stayed here, we could have had a romantic evening with ‘mood’ lighting, sharing an expensive pot of peanuts while listening to Chet Baker.

eta: I think it’s Chet Baker 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Goliath

9 minutes ago, johnmoly said:

I know I'm off topic here, but I was on the Lancaster Canal recently and you could moor up anywhere, Bilsborough, Garstang, Galgate, Lancaster, Hest Bank and Carnforth were practically empty. 

Not really, I think boating is changing but that's another topic for another day, currently having too much fun boating with Goliath to think about these things.

CRT are working on big changes to how much we pay for boating and I do hope that they have their finger on the pulse of the waterways.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

What’s wrong with the boozers?

I’m getting to like the Foxton Lock Inn.

😂 🤥
If only you’d stayed here, we could have had a romantic evening with ‘mood’ lighting, sharing an expensive pot of peanuts while listening to Chet Baker.

Get down the Welford arm to the wharf tavern worth the trip. Services great. 

1 hour ago, johnmoly said:

I know I'm off topic here, but I was on the Lancaster Canal recently and you could moor up anywhere, Bilsborough, Garstang, Galgate, Lancaster, Hest Bank and Carnforth were practically empty. 

I cross that canal every 2nd weekend(for the last 5 years), have only ever seen one boat moving(in 30 years of going up and down to Blackpool slightly less regularly).  Coming over the last 2 times, the canal was completely duckweeded over...with no obvious sign of boats moving recently.

It's a shame, but I will never cruise it , having a 70 footer. 

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

👍

I think that’s the plan

Cheers

It is a good plan

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Chet Bakers finest moment...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

I dont know where you get that from, not only does a hire fleet operate out of Mkt Harborough, but a lot of Napton, Clifton,  Calcutt, Gayton, Braunston and even Wyvern boats use the flight and get to Market Harborough for the half week or Half fortnight  point.

Stand by for incoming! 😆

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Get down the Welford arm to the wharf tavern worth the trip. Services great. 

I always detour up the arm when passing but the Wharf was a disappointment last time.

The first pint of ale was off, but the staff didn't want to believe me or apologise. I picked another which was begrudgingly pulled and given to me and found to be also more like Sarsons than beer! 

We had a meal which was average at best. Maybe we caught them on a bad day, but rude staff when returning a bad pint is never acceptable. 

31 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I always detour up the arm when passing but the Wharf was a disappointment last time.

The first pint of ale was off, but the staff didn't want to believe me or apologise. I picked another which was begrudgingly pulled and given to me and found to be also more like Sarsons than beer! 

We had a meal which was average at best. Maybe we caught them on a bad day, but rude staff when returning a bad pint is never acceptable. 

Has it changed hands recently? When we were there in 2020 beer, food and staff were all excellent...

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

Has it changed hands recently? When we were there in 2020 beer, food and staff were all excellent...

It could have changed hands since my visit as it was probably before yours!

Time flies as they say..   

I can remember clearly the young staff doing that most irritating of things when they doubt your ability to say if a pint is off and then openly admit they don't know what it's supposed to taste like as they don't drink beer.

A good sniff is all it requires in most cases. 

14 hours ago, john6767 said:

If we are doing best elsan on the system, then Ripon gets my vote, immaculate and complete with visitors book and tourist info.

The  two sanitary stations down the Montgomery are they best I have seen for many a long year.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

It could have changed hands since my visit as it was probably before yours!

Time flies as they say..   

I can remember clearly the young staff doing that most irritating of things when they doubt your ability to say if a pint is off and then openly admit they don't know what it's supposed to taste like as they don't drink beer.

A good sniff is all it requires in most cases. 

Posting negative -- or positive! -- reviews/comments about pubs/restaurants without saying when you were there is unhelpful, given how often licensees change nowadays... 😉

When I was there in 2020 the staff who served me were friendly and clearly did know their beer when I asked them about the beers they had on tap. The fish and chips we had was up with the best we've ever had anywhere, and that includes regular visits to top-rated chippies (not just the Magpie...) in places like Whitby.

Whether it's still the same today obviously depends on whether the same licensee/staff are there... 😉

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

Posting negative -- or positive! -- reviews/comments about pubs/restaurants without saying when you were there is unhelpful, given how often licensees change nowadays... 😉

It was terribly irresponsible of me, I apologise. 

But it was at a time when people on here were raving about how good it was,  I remember that much. 

Here's a couple more reviews to level it out then.. 

Bridge 61 was great,  apart from the homemade chilli that was far too hot.

The village pub at Yelvertoft had recently changed hands,  worth the walk, we were made very welcome. It's probably a house now.