Spotters

Momac

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Actually there was a reduction - they removed a couple of pontoons and reduced the 'available' moorings.

Under the NAA the charge is based on the maximum capacity of the marina. So unless they filled in part of the marina basin the maximum capacity has not been reduced. The calculation should include all of the potential pontoons, even if some of them are not installed initially. It was a fudge to reach an agreement, and I said at the time BW should have stuck to their guns and piled off the entrance if Pillings didn't pay their debts and future dues in full. As it is the waterways lost (and are still presumably losing) hundreds of thousands of pounds as a result.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Under the NAA the charge is based on the maximum capacity of the marina. So unless they filled in part of the marina basin the maximum capacity has not been reduced. The calculation should include all of the potential pontoons, even if some of them are not installed initially. It was a fudge to reach an agreement, and I said at the time BW should have stuck to their guns and piled off the entrance if Pillings didn't pay their debts and future dues in full. As it is the waterways lost (and are still presumably losing) hundreds of thousands of pounds as a result.

If pontoons are on the bank they are not 'installed' and are not counted.

When I was looking into this (when buying a marina) It was explained to me that it is the number (meterage) of moorings you had available divided by an 'average' boat length to give the actual 'number of moorings' you had available. But, you were charged "by the metre"

Irrespective of the 'acreage' of the 'pond' it is the total meterage of the moorings that count.

The forumla is based on 100% of number of metres of mooring,  multiplied by your average published charge per metre, multiplied by 0.09

This is an extract of the NAA documents / contract which I was required to sign.

Gross Mooring Capacity

The gross mooring capacity of the Marina calculated in accordance with the Code of Practice for Determining Gross Mooring Capacity issued from time to time by CRT and which is agreed by CRT and the Applicant as at the date of this Agreement as being XXXX metres or such other length as may be agreed in writing by CRT and the Applicant or otherwise determined from time to time in accordance with the terms and provisions of this Agreement

So I am assuming, and yes I know about assuming, the spotters haven't been tutored in the use of world bing AI, as in:

It's a green Narrow boat, with portals, on a canal @ xxxxx location, give me the name of the owner, the index number, the year it was made, the engine type and serial number, home mooring, the journey plan for it's last trip, do they have large scary dogs on board, when was the last time the toilet cassette was emptied.

And as if, by magic, response:

your device can not connect to the servicer, please try resetting your IP address and re- enter the request again.

AI's for me for sure!

5 hours ago, Higgs said:

I haven't claimed any allowance. And just because I CC, it doesn't alter any of the reasons for bringing up the issue.

So you not claiming the allowance for the Energy Support that your entitled too being a CCer, I take it you don’t qualify for it then? 
  NABO say they are fighting for /representing 1000’s of CCers to get the Energy Support allowance, it would be interesting to find out how many will actually claim or really qualify to claim it?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

How does spotting actually work? I saw one in Barrow take my licence number and boat name. I wondered to myself, what if I was in this same spot 14 days later but in those 14 days, I actually travelled many miles and on my return journey I moored at the same spot I was at prior... aside from the fact the boat may be facing the other direction (which may be easy to miss, if not paying attention), how would a spotter know, providing another spotter hadn't seen me in that time?

13 minutes ago, wandering said:

I wondered to myself, what if I was in this same spot 14 days later but in those 14 days, I actually travelled many miles and on my return journey I moored at the same spot I was at prior... aside from the fact the boat may be facing the other direction

You'd get an email from CRT pointing out that your boat hadn't moved for 14 days and to contact them. Had exactly that happen when were were moored up at two different locations at Hinckley a couple of hundred metres apart and facing in opposite directions, having been up to Snarestone and back in the meantime. An email back to CRT explaining that was accepted.

Spotters note your general location, but not the exact spot, and do not record which way the boat is facing.

Edited by David Mack

Just now, David Mack said:

You'd get an email from CRT pointing out that your boat hadn't moved for 14 days and to contact them. Had exactly that happen when were were moored up at two different locations at Hinckley a couple of hundred metres apart and facing in opposite directions, having been up to Shackerstone and back in the meantime. An email back to CRT explaining that was accepted.

It's good to know a swift email can sort it out and that they are understanding. Seeing the spotter tie letters to people's tiller was a little disconcerting for me. Feels a bit like those TV licence folk, who hound with threatening letters through the post.

On 23/08/2023 at 17:41, blackrose said:

I guess the devil is in the detail. "The question" in your original post was whether you knew the owner. Now you're talking about divulging the owner's contact details. Were you actually asked for the owner's contact details?

I don't think it's odd to be asked if one knows the owner of a boat. Perhaps if you had known the owner you might have been asked to contact the owner to give them a message. That also seems reasonable to me. On the other hand, asking you for the owner's contact details would be crossing a line in my opinion.

People who put unlicensed boats on inland waters wirh intent to defraud tend not to leave their details with neighbours, and may remove index number, or boat names. These things are intentional, so I can't see anyone objecting to handing out details if they have them.

However bad things happen, and it may be that there has not been intention to defraud, so the Navigation Authority will take appropriate acton if they get the contact details. 

Left unattended, boats do not look after themselves, sinking, vandalism, and theft being more likely with time.

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

One thing that is NOT on is having a boat in a NAA free marina and taking it out on a jolly for a few days over the bank holiday using the marina/brokerages trade plates!!

I will be reporting it tommorow.

I have passed lots of boats on trade plates moored on the same mooring for years and looking lived on.

• Greenie 1

On 25/08/2023 at 16:44, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

So you not claiming the allowance for the Energy Support that your entitled too being a CCer, I take it you don’t qualify for it then? 

I really wouldn't know. Haven't bothered to find out. 

I'm on a little used canal.

Every morning a CRT employee inspects it, he has an ipad and a windlass,  I need to be alert to encourage him to put me through the next lock..Its called multi skilling.

Single Handers rock!

Obviously most people who know this canal also know that there are very few locks, but that won't stop certain reactors. I know who they are, at least one does not even have a NB. but always feels obliged to comment.

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

Just as well all single handers don't do this or  C&RT employees would never get time to do any other work 😄. The locks on the Chesterfield are narrow and as you are not in a rush why not take the opportunity to hone your lock working skills ? 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Just as well all single handers don't do this or  C&RT employees would never get time to do any other work 😄. The locks on the Chesterfield are narrow and as you are not in a rush why not take the opportunity to hone your lock working skills ? 

I don't think I've managed to get assistance this year on this canal, loosen up.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I don't think I've managed to get assistance this year on this canal, loosen up.

But you just said that you timed your arrival for a C&RT guy to work you through the lock . Is that not assistance ? 

😄

Edited by haggis
Took out a wee cheeky bit 😄

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm on a little used canal.

Every morning a CRT employee inspects it, he has an ipad and a windlass,  I need to be alert to encourage him to put me through the next lock..Its called multi skilling.

Single Handers rock!

Obviously most people who know this canal also know that there are very few locks, but that won't stop certain reactors. I know who they are, at least one does not even have a NB. but always feels obliged to comment.

What is the Chesterfield like, water depth/weed and how far up are you?

On 23/08/2023 at 16:59, Tonka said:

Probably not after one of them was murdered the other year

Murderer got 37 years for that I was a prosecution witness in the case, last time in court was as a 21 year old in 1973 racing my Triumph Trident round Croydon lol 6 month ban  and £160 fine. 

41 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

Murderer got 37 years for that I was a prosecution witness in the case, last time in court was as a 21 year old in 1973 racing my Triumph Trident round Croydon lol 6 month ban  and £160 fine. 

Well you probably deserved that just for being in Croydon

12 hours ago, Tonka said:

12 hours ago, Tonka said:

Croydon was ok back then now it’s the knife capital of London. Not going into reasons as to why that is so because I will get cancelled lol. 

2 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

Croydon was ok back then now it’s the knife capital of London. Not going into reasons as to why that is so because I will get cancelled lol. 

My wife was born in Addiscombe and my 2 daughters were born in Mayday. We got out of there in 2007 so I know what you are not saying

I think these days Tower Hamlets is a great place for a spot of light nasty stabbing. 

Was it the bleks in Croydon which were the problem? 

https://news.sky.com/story/croydon-was-londons-knife-crime-capital-but-in-2022-this-is-how-heartbreak-resulted-in-the-borough-turning-itself-around-12775052

Tower Hamlets is full of bangalis my girls are one of a handful of white kids at the school. Love the inner city. 

C63 yeah yeah yeah or an M3. 

M16 is what I'd like !