Advice Please !

A A Matthews

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, howardang said:

I agree that this is an example of, at best, bad manners, but I’m afraid that it may just be another example of sheer bad manners which are becoming more and more common these days. 

Howard

Or it could be that the OP is very busy in his life and doesn't waste his life on forums every 2 minutes like some people on here. 

• Greenie 4

22 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Or it could be that the OP is very busy in his life and doesn't waste his life on forums every 2 minutes like some people on here. 

So busy he has time to be out boating? AND time for asking for advice on here but not time to read it?

To my mind the important thing is the nature of the breakdowns. Could be dirty fuel, blocked filter, something simple but annoying in which case it just needs fixing or it could be something big and expensive which needs a workshop and lots of money. Abit more info will start to narrow down the problem.

2 minutes ago, Bee said:

To my mind the important thing is the nature of the breakdowns. Could be dirty fuel, blocked filter, something simple but annoying in which case it just needs fixing or it could be something big and expensive which needs a workshop and lots of money. Abit more info will start to narrow down the problem.

I agree, but it seems the OP is not that interested in any actual help.

On 16/08/2023 at 19:22, A A Matthews said:

What is the legal position regarding the purchase of a used boat from  a registered yard that has broken down a number of times and only travelled 15 miles down the canal! I feel the seller has some responsibility for selling an unreliable vessel . Boat was surveyed and engine was working in the yard but is it a case of ‘buyer beware’?

The only sensible answer really is consult a solicitor. Most people have legal advice available via insurance or bank accounts . I think it's fairly obvious from reading the answers above that we don't know. Certainly I've never bothered after shoddy work, my assumption is it's better to pay someone to put it right than waste time, money and energy on lawyers.

But I think there a thread a few weeks old about someone suing a yard. Might be worth trawling through for that.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The only sensible answer really is consult a solicitor. Most people have legal advice available via insurance or bank accounts . I think it's fairly obvious from reading the answers above that we don't know. Certainly I've never bothered after shoddy work, my assumption is it's better to pay someone to put it right than waste time, money and energy on lawyers.

But I think there a thread a few weeks old about someone suing a yard. Might be worth trawling through for that.

I think that we do know. If it is a direct private sale or a private sale via a broker, then unless the OP can prove misrepresentation, there is nothing he can do. If he bought it from a company, then the sale of goods act applies, but the proof is the difficult thing. It may all depend upon what is on the receipt.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

• 0-30 days: You can claim a full refund for goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described. 
  • 30 days-six months: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund.
  •  

You make it sound so easy......

What do you do when the seller refuses, (in the nicest way), to give said refund?

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

You make it sound so easy......

What do you do when the seller refuses, (in the nicest way), to give said refund?

That is what the law says for sales in the course of business, so basically one has to resort to the law and hope the company pays up and does not liquidate itself.

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is what the law says for sales in the course of business, so basically one has to resort to the law and hope the company pays up and does not liquidate itself.

Ah!.....  the law, and "hope".

Alan reels off the law, making it sound easy and almost automatic, when it is nothing like that.

So you pay your £2000 court fee, (5% of claim, assuming boat was £40,000), find that the seller denies the claim, and you find that it is likely to take 9 months to a year for a hearing. Is the stress, anger, anxiety, worry, for all that time, worth it, as against getting it fixed, getting on with life and, where possible, doing what you can to help others to avoid such an experience at the sellers hands.

Having said that, we are still guessing as we don't know what are the faults, nor whether the boat was sold in the course of a business.

46 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Ah!.....  the law, and "hope".

Alan reels off the law, making it sound easy and almost automatic, when it is nothing like that.

So you pay your £2000 court fee, (5% of claim, assuming boat was £40,000), find that the seller denies the claim, and you find that it is likely to take 9 months to a year for a hearing. Is the stress, anger, anxiety, worry, for all that time, worth it, as against getting it fixed, getting on with life and, where possible, doing what you can to help others to avoid such an experience at the sellers hands.

Having said that, we are still guessing as we don't know what are the faults, nor whether the boat was sold in the course of a business.

My day in Court with Collingwood Boat Builders – Retirement with No Problem

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

12 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Maybe your right but he made the time to ask the  question so he could give the forum the courtesy of the same amount of time to acknowledge the responses. In some circles this is know as good manners.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

10 hours ago, howardang said:

Maybe your right but he made the time to ask the  question so he could give the forum the courtesy of the same amount of time to acknowledge the responses. In some circles this is know as good manners.

Howard

We have no idea of the OP's circumstances, rushing to judgement is also bad manners.

• Greenie 2

Howard

He's probably trying to fix the engine to charge his batteries so he can recharge his mobile phone so he can ask on here what size anchour he needs as the engine has failed again just as he's about to go over a weir possibly. 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

He's probably trying to fix the engine to charge his batteries so he can recharge his mobile phone so he can ask on here what size anchour he needs as the engine has failed again just as he's about to go over a weir possibly. 

i recon is just weeds on the prop... :)

Howard

He might he dead. His grandma might be dead. His cat might be ill. He might have lost his computer.  His electricity may have been cut off. His Internet might have been cut off. Maybe it's his birthday and he's been treated to a surprise party. Maybe he lost his fingers in a freak chop saw accident. Perhaps he's busy watching paint dry. Perhaps he's just busy.

In as much as he posted up a question, he's not obliged to return to the forum to satisfy your clear lack of patience.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, HenryFreeman said:

He might he dead. His grandma might be dead. His cat might be ill. He might have lost his computer.  His electricity may have been cut off. His Internet might have been cut off. Maybe it's his birthday and he's been treated to a surprise party. Maybe he lost his fingers in a freak chop saw accident. Perhaps he's busy watching paint dry. Perhaps he's just busy.

In as much as he posted up a question, he's not obliged to return to the forum to satisfy your clear lack of patience.

Thank you for your well reasoned and detailed response. If you consider my remarks a sign of impatience that is clearly your opinion. Others may disagree. This is a forum where views can and do vary and we will just have to differ in this instance. 

Howard 

What I wonder is if those trying to excuse the lack of communication from the OP were asked a complicated question in real life and part way through giving an answer the questioner just wandered off with no explanation or thanks while they were in full flow would they feel that rude or perfectly acceptable behaviour.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What I wonder is if those trying to excuse the lack of communication from the OP were asked a complicated question in real life and part way through giving an answer the questioner just wandered off with no explanation or thanks while they were in full flow would they feel that rude or perfectly acceptable behaviour.

He may have simply forgotten us. He may have got his answer elsewhere and no longer be interested in our views. He may have thought there are so many differing opinions that we don't know what we're talking about and be fed up with us. He may not want to get involved in discussion about why his engine breaks down, or may more sensibly start a separate thread on the relevant forum. He may have taken the hump about being accused of being rude when he just hasn't got round to replying yet. Who knows?

Anyway, etiquette is different on the net.

On some places you just stick an emoji of some sort when you quit. Usually, one side or other simply stops responding, or threads or texts or instant messaging can go on for ever. But it is acceptable, these days, for an email conversation simply to stop .

• Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, A A Matthews said:

Thanks to all those who responded.

Thank you for coming back.

I think the general consensus is that whatever the law says, you are probably stuck with it. I hope that you are not. We can't do legal stuff, but there is vast experience here, so if you want suggestions and help with the actual problem, please feel free to ask. But if you do there is every chance that you will be asked questions that you may think have no relevance, but are actually designed to rule possibilities in or out. If that happens, please try to answer them or just say that you do not understand so we can explain further.

• Greenie 2