The Ian Moss (AKA - Magpie the Elder) Collection

1st ade

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Its possible 100122E is taken from the opposite side of the same train at the same time but there’s a mismatch between the locomotive and the semaphore signalling, which is why I though the 100122E  possibly pre-dated 100121E.

Dad left random box's of slides - it's quite possible he'd moved two images of (roughly) the same location together for the purposes of a lecture.

(part of the reason we have this fun and games - it would be so easy if adjacent images were actually from the same roll!)

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Dad left random box's of slides - it's quite possible he'd moved two images of (roughly) the same location together for the purposes of a lecture.

(part of the reason we have this fun and games - it would be so easy if adjacent images were actually from the same roll!)

I couldn't be sure but while 100121E is Strachcarron that explanation suggests that 100122E is also Strathcarron. The image fits with what I can find of the location and it definitely isn't my first guess of Rogart. I spent an hour at Strathcarron station about four years ago as the officers special on which I was aboard couldn't be pathed to Kyle of Lochalsh due to congestion. Unlikely, but true.

• Haha 1

Buildings » 100012E

That's Holcombe Brook substation now, but was presumably built for the very early electrified Bury to Holcombe Brook line.

1927 was long after the line was electrified though, and I've no idea who LEP Co were - searching mostly gets you the Lancashire Evening Post!

Duh. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Electric_Power_Company

Or them, obviously!

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit

100141E is also Belgium. To be a little more precise I think it, and 100103E, are in Vlanderen (Flanders). I'd hazard a guess that the marvellous set of hydraulic buffer stops in 100169E is also in Belgium, at Antwerpen Centraal. There's nothing much else to look at there, Google it and see for yourself.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ian Moss Collection » Railway, Light Rail and Tram » Stations » 100172E

100172E_1000.jpg

I'm going to guess this one might be Chorley Station ... 

Edit to add: 2003 or later because that's when they called it the Chorley Interchange after building the new bus station opposite the railway station.

Also, Chorley football club are nicknamed the Magpies, but I'm fairly confident you knew that ...

I think 100152E is Chorley station looking north from the Down platform. I caught a train from that platform in 1985, possibly around the same time the photo was taken.

100187E - Falsgrave, Scarborough

100191E - Queen Elizabeth II Bridge - Tyne & Wear Metro looking from Newcastle toward Gateshead (as is 100233E)

100198E - Battersby again

100207E and 100244E - Whitby

100243 - Scarborough station

There's lots of pictures of the North Yoirkshire Moors Railway too, but they're probably identifiable.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Well, that was an interesting couple of hours going through the photos! I've managed to identify quite a few of the locations - I've left my comments on the website on each photo page. There are some really good views of working boats from the 1960's including many wide boats on the L&L and other northern waterways. Well done for uploading them.

It's worth noting that there are many waterways views in the 'unknown' sub-folder as well as in the 'waterways' sub-folder that Adrian has linked above.

There are many photos of Ellesmere Port and the Manchester Ship Canal - I haven't noted them all as they will be obvious when you start going through them.

Edited by John Brightley

9 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Well, that was an interesting couple of hours going through the photos! I've managed to identify quite a few of the locations - I've left my comments on the website on each photo page

Thanks John (and many others) - I hadn't expected such a hit rate in the first 24 hours or so!

This morning - I'll collate all the comments and move / caption / flip as required.

As @magpie patrick some are in the wrong album simply because I have not got round to it yet - others; I started with a relatively simple structure then "fiddled" as I started to populate it. For example, I started with two folders "canal" and "river" which became three with the addition of "craft" (and became subfolders of "waterways"), four with the addition of "posters and exhibits" and then "canal" became "UK canal", "river" became "UK river" and added "Overseas" (as the distinction [at least to me] is much less clear cut on the continent). That's how I ended up with some overseas images in the wrong folder...

Thanks again everyone.

If it helps, Railforums.co.uk have a History and Nostalgia sub-forum.  They are a friendly bunch and may well pitch in if asked. They often have smaller requests of this type and have a wealth of knowledge.  I can post for you if required or you can ask directly if preferred.

30 minutes ago, Ken X said:

If it helps, Railforums.co.uk have a History and Nostalgia sub-forum.  They are a friendly bunch and may well pitch in if asked. They often have smaller requests of this type and have a wealth of knowledge.  I can post for you if required or you can ask directly if preferred.

Thanks Ken

I'm still ploughing through the above suggestions (plus others who have made comments on my site)

When I've finished I'd welcome an introduction to railforums.co.uk - I thank you for your offer of posting but don't want to saddle you with copying back 40 odd responses as with CWF! - on the other hand I don't want to be a "new member" waiting for someone to approve my post...

30 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Some brilliant images. 

100372 is the roundhouse at Coates, Thames and Severn canal I believe 

Yes it is.  The extension gives it away.

Edited to add:

100401E and 100402E are Halfpenny Wharf at Lechlade, River Thames.

100403E, 100404E and 100405E are at Inglesham, River Thames and the junction with the Thames & Severn Canal. 

Edited by IanM

100722 is an amusing one, a Sentinal in steam outside the other large (in numbers) steam Waggon manufacturer Foden. It presumably is Fodens works at Sandbach. 

Both Sentinals are still around. VE 9963 now known as Pendle Lady, and RS 5540 pictured in 100721 is Tiger in similar colours when I last saw her some years ago. 

I think 100721 is pictured at Ducie Street Junction? 

100732 is an Aveling and Porter roller. 

Im sure their owners would be interested in those pictures 

100045E depicts sign reading UKW22//UKW78. UKW are the Dutch or German versions of VHF and it indicates which VHF channel you are to use for communication with Port control (Locks etc) in either direction. It seems to be among several photos of the Rhine but I can't identify where. The signs are common, but it would be possible to check in which pound(s) there are a lock with ch.22 at one end and ch.78 at the other.

2 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

100045E depicts sign reading UKW22//UKW78. UKW are the Dutch or German versions of VHF and it indicates which VHF channel you are to use for communication with Port control (Locks etc) in either direction. It seems to be among several photos of the Rhine but I can't identify where. The signs are common, but it would be possible to check in which pound(s) there are a lock with ch.22 at one end and ch.78 at the other.

I think this one, (100045E) is on the Main-Donau Canal.

Pages 25 - 28 were mainly taken during May 2010 in The Netherlands. Not certain of all the locations as Ian often went off on his own or on a different trip to myself, but, starting at 100764 were taken in The Netherlands. 1000770E was taken by the entrance hall of the Rotterdam Foot Tunnel under the Maas. Splashtours are a Rotterdam feature. 1000771E to 1000773 show the SS Rotterdam, formerly the Holland America ship based in Rotterdam and now moored up permanently as a Hotel and attraction. 1000774 shows the Erasmusbrug, better known as the Swan, across the Maas in Rotterdam. 1000776 shows the Eefde sluis on the Twente Canal, Netherlands, near Enschede. as do 10077E and 10078E. 100783 - 1000787 show the Zutphen Railway bridge which has a lifting section need by hotel ships for clearance, but not by most barges. Switzerland 11 is shown waiting to go through the lifted section. Will have to pause here and look through another page.

5 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

100722 is an amusing one, a Sentinal in steam outside the other large (in numbers) steam Waggon manufacturer Foden. It presumably is Fodens works at Sandbach. 

Both Sentinals are still around. VE 9963 now known as Pendle Lady, and RS 5540 pictured in 100721 is Tiger in similar colours when I last saw her some years ago. 

I think 100721 is pictured at Ducie Street Junction? 

100732 is an Aveling and Porter roller. 

Im sure their owners would be interested in those pictures 

Maternal grandma Elsie Young (nee Abberley) was born in Sandbach, and one of her brothers worked for Fodens, so dad may have been invited to some special event. 

You lot are incredible with your collective knowledge! Thank you all ! 

• Greenie 2

Many thanks all - I've added all the comments given via my website and am now working through comments on this forum. Well over 100 comments (with some duplicates) for 1,000 images. Much appreciated - we'll hit you with the next 1,000 images soon...

(some delay was caused by "reversing" or "flipping" images - it's by far the slowest part of the process and caches of the "unflipped" version get everywhere!)

On 06/08/2023 at 17:16, TheBiscuits said:

Ian Moss Collection » Railway, Light Rail and Tram » Stations » 100172E

100172E_1000.jpg

I'm going to guess this one might be Chorley Station ... 

Edit to add: 2003 or later because that's when they called it the Chorley Interchange after building the new bus station opposite the railway station.

Also, Chorley football club are nicknamed the Magpies, but I'm fairly confident you knew that ...

Thank you both for your knowledge and your wit! :D 

Knowing dates like that is useful - "where" is only the start for something recording so much history 

As for the Magpies, not only did MtE introduce me at the age of 12 (first game Darwen at home in 1978 - nil-nil draw) but the connection has spawned a radio show (Magpie's Folk Cafe on Frome FM every Sunday evening) and a small record label (Soaring Magpie Records) 

On 06/08/2023 at 20:45, Captain Pegg said:

There's lots of pictures of the North Yoirkshire Moors Railway too, but they're probably identifiable.

I'll take some of the low hanging fruit if I may?

100206E - Goathland station

100201E, 100208E - Grosmont station

100202E - Taken near Grosmont engine sheds

100203E, 204E, 205E, 240E - hill between Grosmont engine sheds and esk dale cottages. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Morris said:

100203E, 204E, 205E, 240E - hill between Grosmont engine sheds and esk dale cottages. 

Please do - they may be low hanging for you but require a long ladder for me!

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

100356E  Lock on the Pocklington Canal, sorry, don't know which one.

100224E - Lys-Con

Vessel history dates this picture between 1976-1981

06/1976: Sold P/R Egil Slang & Leif Erik Simonsen ( LE Simonsen) Oslo, new name  LYS-CON
09/1981: Sold Reykholskip H/f ( Olafur V. Sigurdsson) Reykjavik , Iceland, new name  HELGEY

101112E is Prince's Dock, Guide Bridge , Ashton Canal , late 70s . Grosvenor Mill in the background.

100254E, in case not mentioned, probably South Tynedale Railway , loco is a much modified Hibberd and first  STR  loco to operate at Haltwhistle.

Loco still exists but not  been in working order for many years.

101107E, Frigate, part of Royal Navy canal fleet, 1 of 4 vessels built 1972/74 by John Pinder for Navy recruitment inland. Location unknown.

8 hours ago, billh said:

101112E is Prince's Dock, Guide Bridge , Ashton Canal , late 70s . Grosvenor Mill in the background.

100254E, in case not mentioned, probably South Tynedale Railway , loco is a much modified Hibberd and first  STR  loco to operate at Haltwhistle.

Loco still exists but not  been in working order for many years.

101107E, Frigate, part of Royal Navy canal fleet, 1 of 4 vessels built 1972/74 by John Pinder for Navy recruitment inland. Location unknown.

Photo taken at Little Venice.

RN Fleet.JPG

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2023 at 09:34, Morris said:

You most certainly may. My knowledge of the National Rail Network outweighs that of heritage railways. I’m part professional, part anorak.

On 06/08/2023 at 15:33, GUMPY said:

There are quite a few in the "unknown" section where the station/street/place name is visible in the photograph.

100158E, 100098E, 100207E, 100139E to name but four

100207 - I can't see a name except part of "way out" and what might be "ladies". On the other hand, there can't be too many British stations where the entire platform is so low they provide multiple sets of steps for passengers!