Audlem flight closed

Hastings

Featured Posts

The poor state of the top gate heel post at lock 7 at Audlem means the flight of 15 is closed - two days before the Gathering of Historic Boats.  Up to half the entries would have come this way.  But it will still go ahead, even if with fewer boats.   

• Angry 1

49 minutes ago, Hastings said:

The poor state of the top gate heel post at lock 7 at Audlem means the flight of 15 is closed - two days before the Gathering of Historic Boats.  Up to half the entries would have come this way.  But it will still go ahead, even if with fewer boats.   

I hope some form of temporary repair might be thought about but it seems no one is left with any knowledge to realise whats happening until its too late these days

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

I hope some form of temporary repair might be thought about but it seems no one is left with any knowledge to realise whats happening until its too late these days

That's why they are asking for volunteer asset inspectors.  Are you applying?

• Unimpressed 1

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's why they are asking for volunteer asset inspectors.  Are you applying?

They have asset inspectors.....they just dont seem to react when items are flagged....do you think volunteer ones will be a cure for that? Oh and FYI I already volunteer for the trust...do you?

I think every lock on the flight to Red Bull south of Church Lawton was missing a paddle, and two locks were completely out of commission with two bust. Some had labels, some didn't. It's repair only on total failure these days, and however many volunteers they get reporting stuff aint going to make any difference at all.

Planning a trip is virtually impossible, and has been for the past couple of years. But the new towpaths are nice.

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

That’s bad news

Ive been enjoying watching the boats make their way towards you.

And Saturn was pulled past by horse here too.

So Saturn won’t make it this year?

Hi Glenn.  Saturn won't make it to the Gathering at Audlem.  But wait a moment - it's a fly-boat.  Maybe it can fly down the flight and land in the Town Pound....

Unless some form of repair is effected, we are one of the boats which will no longer be there (although we might get as close as we can).

To an extent, I am less concerned about that, more concerned about getting through and then not being able to get back as we don't have a viable option if that happens.

Alec

10 hours ago, Graham_Robinson said:

Aah, that old chestnut, the post in water syndrome.
Perhaps they could be removed overnight to dry out and replaced in the morning?

Or as a gongoozler once asked me, why not just get rid of the gates completely and just drive the boat straight through? 

I bet CRT haven't thought of THAT!

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Or as a gongoozler once asked me, why not just get rid of the gates completely and just drive the boat straight through? 

Flash locks should sort the men from the boys. 

Did you definitely want a boat? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQSVp9GebHDCmEkvzsB42

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Actually I thought of that last night in a dream or was it a nightmare?
I could see the historics in hysterics as they ride the flume down Audlem passing the Shroppie Fly at some speed. Absolutely no time to pop into the mill to purchase a book on lock repairs.

Edited by Graham_Robinson
spelin
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, frangar said:

Latest reports are it’s really good with latest landlord 

After numerous disappointments over the last few years, I'm really pleased to hear that. I shall happily give it yet another try (once I can get that way)! :cheers:

• Greenie 1

Rumour has it that CRT are working on a temporary fix and if successful Lock 7 should be open sometime today...I have to say Im glad they are trying to fix it ...even if it doesnt last then at least they are making some progress...fingers crossed all round.

• Greenie 2