Harborough Marine narrowboat

Mark R

Featured Posts

Looks like one to swerve! As it's on my way to another appointment I'll pop in and see it, if nothing else it'll give me a little more experience on what to look out for (or not as might be the case). I'll get some more pictures and post them for you to see.

As mentioned I've bought an ultrasonic thickness tester, while I'm not expecting perfect accuracy it'll be interesting to look at what the hull is actually like. If anyone could offer advice on how/where to test the hull I'd appreciate it. As it's been blacked I'm assuming that I need to scrape this off to some extent, is that correct?

43 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Looks like one to swerve! As it's on my way to another appointment I'll pop in and see it, if nothing else it'll give me a little more experience on what to look out for (or not as might be the case). I'll get some more pictures and post them for you to see.

As mentioned I've bought an ultrasonic thickness tester, while I'm not expecting perfect accuracy it'll be interesting to look at what the hull is actually like. If anyone could offer advice on how/where to test the hull I'd appreciate it. As it's been blacked I'm assuming that I need to scrape this off to some extent, is that correct?

Quite possibly if it’s a budget device but you can’t go around scraping the blacking off someone else’s boat.

Also an ultrasonic thickness tester isn’t a whole lot of use for most boats given they are likely to be in the water when you view them.

• Greenie 1

I'd say if he wants to sell he he'll be happy to let me scrape here and there, unless he has something to hide. As it's on dry land the water isn't an issue. I'm assuming a surveyor would need to prepare a surface for testing?

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

After the prospective purchaser has signed a bill of sale and paid a substantial non-returnable deposit, and not as part of the viewing process.

I think you're wrong - it doesn't make sense to have a survey after you've agreed to buy a boat - but as it's 25 years since we bought a second-hand boat, things may have changed so I shan't argue.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I think you're wrong - it doesn't make sense to have a survey after you've agreed to buy a boat - but as it's 25 years since we bought a second-hand boat, things may have changed so I shan't argue.

Think the phrase "sale agreed subject to survey" is the usual one used

• Greenie 2

I mthought that was used by brokerage companies rather than by private sellers, buty as I said, I shan't argue.

The boat appears from the (indistinct) photos to have a front cabin extension. What's that made of, or is it just a cratch?

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

It makes complete sense.

Would you pay to have a boat lifted and surveyed without any protection against someone pitching up, observing all the hull marking and then gazumping you?

And would you be amenable to someone removing your blacking with absolutely no jeopardy on their part?

You're right about private sellers but I don’t necessarily equate private sales on FB with surveyors being involved.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It makes complete sense.

Would you pay to have a boat lifted and surveyed without any protection against someone pitching up, observing all the hull marking and then gazumping you?

And would you be amenable to someone removing your blacking with absolutely no jeopardy on their part?

You're right about private sellers but I don’t necessarily equate private sales on FB with surveyors being involved.

You make complete sense, and I certainly wouldn't argue with someone who obviously knows more about a subject than I do. No one on CWDF would do that.

Would they?

3 hours ago, Mark R said:

I bought a cheapie thickness tester but found that even on cleaned metal and using gel, the readings were all over the place and really were unreliable.

Better to use a hammer and rattle it along and below the waterline and baseplate.Sound metal should 'ring'a little, if it sounds 'thunk' or heaven forbid, goes through, scarper!

• Greenie 1

As others have said the asking price is crazy. It's worth half of that at best. If you do go to view it make sure to make time to walk around the whole site. You will most likely see a few other boats with for sale signs on. Also ring Redhill office and ask if they know of any other boats for sale on site. Boats often change hands there before they have been advertised.

• Greenie 1

There have been a number of similar Harborough Marine boats advertised in the last year at prices around £10k. If you like that style of boat, there's lots of them around and there's no reason for you to pay £30k plus for one. Just wait a little while and another will come up at about £10k.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, John Brightley said:

There have been a number of similar Harborough Marine boats advertised in the last year at prices around £10k. If you like that style of boat, there's lots of them around and there's no reason for you to pay £30k plus for one. Just wait a little while and another will come up at about £10k.

For £10K a few years ago read £20K today, the top of the market type price. Check out Apollo Duck. 

Don't buy a project, these are money pits, absolutely not for the unwary.

• Greenie 1

On 12/05/2023 at 08:37, Captain Pegg said:

After the prospective purchaser has signed a bill of sale and paid a substantial non-returnable deposit, and not as part of the viewing process.

We bought our boat privately and didn't agree or sign anything until after the survey, which we were able to attend.

8 minutes ago, MrsM said:

We bought our boat privately and didn't agree or sign anything until after the survey, which we were able to attend.

And presumably both you and the seller were comfortable that each other was genuine about the sale.

In the case of the OP the key issue is not to expect to turn up to a viewing with an ultrasonic test device and be able and allowed to use it.

On 12/05/2023 at 08:10, Mark R said:

I'd say if he wants to sell he he'll be happy to let me scrape here and there, unless he has something to hide. As it's on dry land the water isn't an issue. I'm assuming a surveyor would need to prepare a surface for testing?

Yes but you're not a surveyor, just a tyre kicker tbh. If you think he has "something to hide" then it's not very likely you will identify it as you probably don't have very much experience in the trade :)

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

And presumably both you and the seller were comfortable that each other was genuine about the sale.

In the case of the OP the key issue is not to expect to turn up to a viewing with an ultrasonic test device and be able and allowed to use it.

Agreed, it sort of depends on the meet and greet. If OP wants to scrape the hull he would take along a bucket of blacking and a brush to restore the surface to original. Best have a look around the boat and decide if it is on the short let first.

Edited by LadyG

Is that a water stain I can see in the 3rd, 4th & 5th photo on the top run of new wood. If so I bet the steel up stand the GRP top fits over has rusted through and will be impossible to seal - assuming it has a steel up stand, if not then in my view it will need  a new steel top. In either case, it will be nigh on impossible to get a long term seal

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is that a water stain I can see in the 3rd, 4th & 5th photo on the top run of new wood. If so I bet the steel up stand the GRP top fits over has rusted through and will be impossible to seal - assuming it has a steel up stand, if not then in my view it will need  a new steel top. In either case, it will be nigh on impossible to get a long term seal

Actually, I think you have put your finger on the reason for the seller bailing out of his project.

He has realised the top is leaking rainwater after a winter of owning it and either given up trying to fix it, and/or been told by so many people it can't be fixed that he decided to sell. 

• Greenie 1

On 12/05/2023 at 11:35, nottheone said:

As others have said the asking price is crazy. It's worth half of that at best. If you do go to view it make sure to make time to walk around the whole site. You will most likely see a few other boats with for sale signs on. Also ring Redhill office and ask if they know of any other boats for sale on site. Boats often change hands there before they have been advertised.

nottheone, do you know the site that this boat is stored at?

I thought I'd just give you all an update, I got a text yesterday from the owner saying that he had someone coming to look at it at 3pm this afternoon, they'd be willing to put a deposit down there and then. He asked if I'd be willing to do the same, when I mentioned a survey he went quiet! After all you'd discussed in this thread I was hoping to take a look, if nothing else to gain experience. Yes I'd be a tyre kicker but in my defence he was trying to sell me a lemon.

I'd like to thank you all for your input, it really is appreciated.

IMG_4377.PNG

IMG_4378.PNG

IMG_4379.PNG

Sorry for the large screenshots, I didn't know how to reduce their size. 

Edited by Mark R

21 minutes ago, Mark R said:

I got a text yesterday from the owner saying that he had someone coming to look at it at 3pm this afternoon, they'd be willing to put a deposit down there and then. He asked if I'd be willing to do the same

Ah. The old 'limited time offer', beloved of scammers and fraudsters everywhere!

If he was really sure he had someone putting down a deposit this afternoon, why would he need you?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Ah. The old 'limited time offer', beloved of scammers and fraudsters everywhere!

If he was really sure he had someone putting down a deposit this afternoon, why would he need you?

God loves a trier!

If £35K is your budget Mark, there are several boats on e bay, Apollo Duck,Facebook Marketplace at this price and less.

I am looking for my next boat but not making much progress as I am on a one man crusade to lower the price of used boats.(Ha Ha)

There are a few that have caught my eye, a 20ft tug (Grunt), a 32ft Norman that looks beautifully presented, a Highbridge Crusader and priced (except the tug) at less than £20K.There are also several steel narrowboats under £35K.

I have in mind to take a week off to travel the country to view some of these boats and stay overnight in B+B, and treat it as a holiday.

• Love 1

On 13/05/2023 at 09:10, Captain Pegg said:

You are right - we had invested a lot of time and effort viewing the boat, staying in nearby hotel so we could accompany the boat to the survey site etc. Trust between us and the vendor was very high and I hope we were all happy with the outcome. 

7 hours ago, Mark R said:

nottheone, do you know the site that this boat is stored at?

I thought I'd just give you all an update, I got a text yesterday from the owner saying that he had someone coming to look at it at 3pm this afternoon, they'd be willing to put a deposit down there and then. He asked if I'd be willing to do the same, when I mentioned a survey he went quiet! After all you'd discussed in this thread I was hoping to take a look, if nothing else to gain experience. Yes I'd be a tyre kicker but in my defence he was trying to sell me a lemon.

I'd like to thank you all for your input, it really is appreciated.

IMG_4377.PNG

IMG_4378.PNG

IMG_4379.PNG

Sorry for the large screenshots, I didn't know how to reduce their size. 

If the seller has "been hear [sic] with all this before time and time again" it implies he has been trying to sell the boat a while. Think you have been wise sticking to your guns. Good luck with your search.

• Greenie 1