Kitchen cabinets

Floaty Me Boaty

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Have anyone on here any recommendations for a cabinet maker around the Wincham area.

Had a chap come in, but he only buys units from Howdens or the like, which i could do myself, but i would like some solid wood units made.

The galley is quite small, so i need it to be as sturdy and practicable as possible.

Ideally i would like some made which allows me to assemble them on site.

Thanks in advance.

It would be great if you could get cabinets made off boat and assemble a fit yourself but highly unlikely.

In a boat there are no right angles, the walls are not vertical, the floor slopes and everything needs to be scribed to fit if the job is to look right.

. That is why boats are fitted out in the water, at the fitters premises, its all custom joinery hand fitted to match the boat. 

• Greenie 1

Also, I'd suggest a load of kitchen units from Howdens would be a couple of £k perhaps, but hand-made in solid wood and jointed and dismantlable for transport, probably ten times that figure at least. And they'd STILL need probably hacking about to fit properly once in the boat. 

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Thanks for the input everyone.

When i am up there in a few week, i will take some measurements and put pencil to paper to see what i can come up with.

I was trying to avoid MFC Units, but may have no option.

My sister has just bought an old house and had a bespoke from scratch in hardwoods kitchen made. Two blokes came and measured up the old, non square walls and spent yonks making units and came back and fitted them all. Completely a one off hand made kitchen. Its not yet finished and she understands she will have no change out of 30k. If I were you, adapting off the shelf units would be the way to go.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Also, I'd suggest a load of kitchen units from Howdens would be a couple of £k perhaps, but hand-made in solid wood and jointed and dismantlable for transport, probably ten times that figure at least. And they'd STILL need probably hacking about to fit properly once in the boat. 

I have just put some in my campervan from Howdens, solid things made in the UK. The daughter has had her kitchen measured up for the same, I am sure it will cost but nowhere near as much as handmade units.

My original kitchen in my boat was handmade, it was a nightmare to remove glued and screwed, I managed to get them out for a friend who loved them in their narrowboat. 

• Happy 1

Look on ebay. Loads of people fitting new house kitchens put the old one on ebay, and they mostly go for pretty small sums. Hire a van, collect the lot and then select the cabinets you want for the boat - since boat kitchens are a lot smaller than house kitchens you have a fair choice of cabinet types and sizes. Then either put the remaining cabinets back up on ebay or just junk them.

• Greenie 3

10 hours ago, canals are us? said:

I would use standard base units. You could always have made, custom doors done in a wood that suits. You don't really see the inside when door closed and stuff inside.

I'd suggest it is the other way around. Making top quality doors and in particular, applying the finish is the hardest bit for a joinery firm making top notch kitchen cabinets.

The best approach for a high quality galley in a boat (it's a galley, not a 'kitchen') is to have the cabinets purpose-made by a competent joinery firm but sized to accept doors and drawer fronts from a high quality standard product by a high-end kitchen firm such as Siematic. 

The final bill will still be nosebleed expensive though. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd suggest it is the other way around. Making top quality doors and in particular, applying the finish is the hardest bit for a joinery firm making top notch kitchen cabinets.

The best approach for a high quality galley in a boat (it's a galley, not a 'kitchen') is to have the cabinets purpose-made by a competent joinery firm but sized to accept doors and drawer fronts from a high quality standard product by a high-end kitchen firm such as Siematic. 

The final bill will still be nosebleed expensive though. 

Thanks, Need to keep my feet firmly on the ground and be sensible with this.

When i get up there, i'll sit down in the Canalside pub and start drawing.

Can't believe i started the thread titled 'Kitchen Cabinets'  🤪

Edited by Floaty Me Boaty
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

It's difficult making relevant suggestions without knowing the circumstances. Is this a new shell you're fitting out on an sky high budget? Or a refit of an old boat? 

Is this a boat you already own or are you just considering budgets while deciding what boat to buy? 

And finally, is this a narrow boat or a widebeam? Once you go broad bean you'll have space to use standard house units with 600mm deep worktops, instead of needing the custom 500mm or 550mm deep worktops usually necessary for a well-designed NB galley.

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Word of advice plenty of draws make it easier to access what is stored inside. No large doors so clashing with doors on the other side. Draws are more expensive but well worth it especially if room is cramped.

• Greenie 2

The carcasses are fairly easy to make using ply and either those corner fasteners or 19mm sq softwood battens.  Ply sides, about 9mm thick, shaped to fit the boat sides. Base in 9mm ply, with extra supports if it is large.  Done forget the toe space.  Add shelves in ply to suit span and a front in some nice timber.  Once you have a template the sides can be cut at home.  The timber fronts can also be made ashore and assembled on board.

Buy the doors from a door replacement outfit.

N

• Greenie 1

Just now, MtB said:

It's difficult making relevant suggestions without knowing the circumstances. Is this a new shell you're fitting out on an sky high budget? Or a refit of an old boat? 

Is this a boat you already own or are you just considering budgets while deciding what boat to buy? 

And finally, is this a narrow boat or a widebeam? Once you go broad bean you'll have space to use standard house units will 600mm deep worktops instead of needing the 500mm or 550mm deep worktops usually necessary for a NB.

She is a Tug Style Narrowboat, so space is limited.

Won't be living on her so can have a smaller Galley.

Currently has some old standard units but want to replace them with wood that i can paint and put a solid worktop in place also.

Trying to avoid re-configuring it too much, but may have to go down that route.

Will Play with this software a tad later, to get an idea.

Local firm can do all the cutting for me,  so all i need to do is  load it all up in the car, assemble it on site.

What could be easier.

image.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

She is a Tug Style Narrowboat, so space is limited.

Won't be living on her so can have a smaller Galley.

Currently has some old standard units but want to replace them with wood that i can paint and put a solid worktop in place also.

Trying to avoid re-configuring it too much, but may have to go down that route.

Will Play with this software a tad later, to get an idea.

Local firm can do all the cutting for me,  so all i need to do is  load it all up in the car, assemble it on site.

What could be easier.

image.jpeg

If you are planning on using standard kitchen doors on a 18 mm carcass. The shelf’s need to be 36 mm less than the width of the overhaul width of carcass. If your getting custom made doors it doesn’t mater. Note wouldn’t use 150 mm plinth unless you intend to store stuff underneath, better to have taller carcasses for max practical storage. We have 100mm plinth which is removable with storage boxes underneath. The carcasses don’t have legs on,the gables go to the floor to allow for max storage also no service void at the back of the units. 

image.jpg

• Greenie 2

Do not forget that the majority of boats are wider at waist level than at the floor.  The cabinet  sides need to taper to fit back against the side panelling properly.  Commercial kitchen carcasses often have a false back to create space for services.  The gap behind is not usually large enough to accept the taper without destroying the lower part of grooves for the back.  The upper part them looks a mess.

Beware of MDF.  It is lethal stuff to work, especially with power tools.  Avoid non-waterproof MDF and  chipboard like the plague.

N

• Greenie 1

Bit of a random suggestion but if it's solid wood you are after have you considered adapting old furniture? Solid oak/walnut/mahogany furniture can be picked up at auctions for next to nothing - often cheaper than firewood. Old furniture is often built to very high standards and can be modified/adapted pretty easily. If I was refitting I'd definitely consider this. You would end up with a unique bespoke galley too. 

• 10 months later...
On 4/29/2023 at 8:47 AM, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Hi All,

Have anyone on here any recommendations for a cabinet maker around the Wincham area.

Had a chap come in, but he only buys units from Howdens or the like, which i could do myself, but i would like some solid wood units made.

The galley is quite small, so i need it to be as sturdy and practicable as possible.

Ideally i would like some made which allows me to assemble them on site.

Thanks in advance.

I recently came across "wholesale kitchen cabinets" on the Internet, read the reviews and they are all positive, they say they have very high-quality cabinets, and also have convenient tools, like a "kitchen planner". I will use their services.

Hi there,

If you're looking for solid wood units and the convenience of on-site assembly, you might want to consider reaching out to custom cabinet makers or carpentry shops in your area. They can tailor the cabinets to fit your galley perfectly and ensure they meet your specific requirements for sturdiness and practicality. While I don't have a specific recommendation for the Wincham area, you could try searching online directories or asking for recommendations from local homeowners or contractors.

• Greenie 2

On 30/04/2023 at 21:56, MrsM said:

Bit of a random suggestion but if it's solid wood you are after have you considered adapting old furniture? Solid oak/walnut/mahogany furniture can be picked up at auctions for next to nothing - often cheaper than firewood. Old furniture is often built to very high standards and can be modified/adapted pretty easily. If I was refitting I'd definitely consider this. You would end up with a unique bespoke galley too. 

Great Idea and worth investigation

52 minutes ago, Cyricionsien said:

Hi there,

If you're looking for solid wood units and the convenience of on-site assembly, you might want to consider reaching out to custom cabinet makers or carpentry shops in your area. They can tailor the cabinets to fit your galley perfectly and ensure they meet your specific requirements for sturdiness and practicality. While I don't have a specific recommendation for the Wincham area, you could try searching online directories or asking for recommendations from local homeowners or contractors.

AI bot?

• Haha 1

My galley came from IKEA and was adapted to fit the boat. It's ok - the doors are solid oak but the carcasses are lined chipboard which isn't ideal. Most of these flat pack kitchen cabinets are comprised of chipboard carcasses and I think the idea of chipboard on a boat is probably worse than the actuality. My kitchen is now nearly 19 years old and it's still fine. The chipboard hasn't turned to mush.

But I think if I were fitting a kitchen again I'd probably buy solid wood doors from any of the flatpack suppliers and make carcasses from ply - or if the doors weren't available separately and came with chipboard carcasses, I'd use the carcasses as templates to make my own plywood units.

To be honest, there's no reason my chipboard carcases wouldn't last another 20 years. I think it's just the idea of having cheap crap in one's boat that's off-putting, but in practice it makes no difference. An internal flood would have to rise higher than the 8" plastic carcass supports to have any effect so that's not likely unless the boat was sinking, and then I'd have bigger things to worry about than the kitchen cabinets.

• Greenie 1

I've just had the galley refurbed, using Howdens units, two deep drawers, one tall thin rack, and a few  cupboards. I had little change out of £2.5K, but the fitter made a good job. Its pretty small, so I'd expect to pay another £1K for a larger galley, plus another £1K for the cooker, and £700 to £950 for a 12v fridge for a standard galley.

The new sink arrangement needed a new waste arrangement, not something a kitchen fitter would know how to do.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1