Home based working

HanaE

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm looking to get a NB next summer. Currently spending my time saving, learning and research. 

But I keep getting stuck on what to do for work as i plan to moor for winter and CC through spring-autumn. I'm a nurse currently and don't think it will be viable for a garenteed wage when CC

So im asking what recommendations can anyone offer in regards to making money/work wise/home based jobs. I do crafts but im very average so it's not a money maker 😅. Ideally home based office type jobs.

Thank you 😊 

9 minutes ago, HanaE said:

Hi, I'm looking to get a NB next summer. Currently spending my time saving, learning and research. 

But I keep getting stuck on what to do for work as i plan to moor for winter and CC through spring-autumn. I'm a nurse currently and don't think it will be viable for a garenteed wage when CC

So im asking what recommendations can anyone offer in regards to making money/work wise/home based jobs. I do crafts but im very average so it's not a money maker 😅. Ideally home based office type jobs.

Thank you 😊 

Sorry to hear (from your other post) that you hate nursing as my daughter has applied to Uni to do a degree in Psyciatric (hope she can spell better than me!) nursing. 

Is it possible to do supply/ bank nursing at your chosen hours?

As a retired teacher, I have found there is always supply work to do.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Sorry to hear (from your other post) that you hate nursing as my daughter has applied to Uni to do a degree in Psyciatric (hope she can spell better than me!) nursing. 

Is it possible to do supply/ bank nursing at your chosen hours?

As a retired teacher, I have found there is always supply work to do.

It's just not for me, your daughter may love it 😁

There's plenty of bank and agency work, which is much better pay and very flexible which I wouldnt mind doing. I had thought of applying to lots of agencies in and around the canal system. But agency and bank isn't set rota and normally last minute cover. Because I plan to CC, I'd need to phone them to say I'm in the area but I wouldn't be garanteed any shifts, or make it in time to get to the shift if its a long way off. Hence why I thought about some other home based work. Then I get to be free to go wherever I please without restriction. 

I had also thought about an english tutor, but again it's not a garanteed set of students and I could have a period of no work. I'm sure there is stuff out there I just need to keep looking ☺️

6 hours ago, HanaE said:

Thank you 😊 

I’ve picked an area with no locks, full services (water, elsan, bins and ideally a shower), bridges high enough to allow to keep my pram hood up and a town with shops and supermarkets as they offer Christmas work. I moved every 2 weeks along 3 points, a mile south of the town, the town itself and a mile north of the town. CRT seemed okay with this as never got a ‘move on’ email but I suspect if I did this all year round especially in the summer they won’t be too happy, I also don’t make a nuisance of myself (e.g running a generator outside someone’s house, mooring next to the services for weeks on end until getting told to go away, etc). You can also get paid moorings in a marina with hook up or get a winter permit to stay on a towpath between November and February.

For example over this past Christmas I was stacking shelves at Tesco in a small town. Early starts but usually done around midday, bit of lunch on the boat then an afternoon walk until it gets dark. You’ll probably now be looking at a little over £11ph now at Tesco as an example. 

Personally I refuse to work from the boat as I think it will get too lonely and I use the winter work as an opportunity to interact with people and forces me off the boat when the weather is not too good but that’s down to personal preference.

Also the disadvantage of the work I look for is it tends to be Christmas only and there’s a chance (like in my case) they’ll give a weeks notice on the 27th December or something so be prepared for that. I fortunately don’t need to rely on paid work to pay for essential costs, it’s more for to pay for beer, diesel, fun and to get me off the boat and interacting with people so it works for me but if you’re 100% reliant on casual winter work to see you throughout the summer then I would build up some savings so it’s not panic stations when you’re given that weeks notice.

good luck!

• Greenie 3

You could do a solid winter of agency, bank work to fund you through the year.  You would also get your Ni stamp paid and a pension contribution made.  Not something to be sniffed at.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Never stopped Athy

Never stopped a lot of people.

A Tail of What I Did on my Holydays to Cantoburey

By Geoffrey Chaucer, aged 13 and 3/4

4/10. Terrible spelling. See me after class.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, n-baj said:

I’ve picked an area with no locks, full services (water, elsan, bins and ideally a shower), bridges high enough to allow to keep my pram hood up and a town with shops and supermarkets as they offer Christmas work. I moved every 2 weeks along 3 points, a mile south of the town, the town itself and a mile north of the town. CRT seemed okay with this as never got a ‘move on’ email but I suspect if I did this all year round especially in the summer they won’t be too happy, I also don’t make a nuisance of myself (e.g running a generator outside someone’s house, mooring next to the services for weeks on end until getting told to go away, etc). You can also get paid moorings in a marina with hook up or get a winter permit to stay on a towpath between November and February.

For example over this past Christmas I was stacking shelves at Tesco in a small town. Early starts but usually done around midday, bit of lunch on the boat then an afternoon walk until it gets dark. You’ll probably now be looking at a little over £11ph now at Tesco as an example. 

Personally I refuse to work from the boat as I think it will get too lonely and I use the winter work as an opportunity to interact with people and forces me off the boat when the weather is not too good but that’s down to personal preference.

Also the disadvantage of the work I look for is it tends to be Christmas only and there’s a chance (like in my case) they’ll give a weeks notice on the 27th December or something so be prepared for that. I fortunately don’t need to rely on paid work to pay for essential costs, it’s more for to pay for beer, diesel, fun and to get me off the boat and interacting with people so it works for me but if you’re 100% reliant on casual winter work to see you throughout the summer then I would build up some savings so it’s not panic stations when you’re given that weeks notice.

good luck!

Thanks for the response 😃

CC as a beginner during winter scares me haha. But didn't think of seasonal work in the local areas. Im sure thier are some agencies that do quick temp positions. I have a little saving and will build on it in the next year.

35 minutes ago, Peanut said:

You could do a solid winter of agency, bank work to fund you through the year.  You would also get your Ni stamp paid and a pension contribution made.  Not something to be sniffed at.

Ideally I wanted out of nursing, but yes, working lots throughout autumn/winter as agency/bank will give me plenty of money for summer. Additionally, it offers the freedom of not being bogged down during summer. I have tons of nursing experience so I can pretty much work anywhere 😁

How about working for NHS 111 remotely? Or finding somewhere that you can overwinter near to where you can get plenty of bank shifts? As already mentioned I'd make sure you cover your NI contributions somehow. Digital nomad (IT/computer-based) type work can be very well paid if you have the right skills/qualifications/experience, there is more basic work available but it's really not very lucrative. Could you retrain in something IT related? FWIW I worked on the wards as an HCA for about 5 years, doing bank most of that time gave a lot of flexibility to take chunks of time off but I could still earn enough to keep myself afloat (pun intended), in my case in a coastal marina. I'll be honest I got to the stage where the list of places I was prepared to do shifts got smaller and smaller as time went on, A & E & AMU you'll not be surprised to hear being the first to go.

The other thing with living on a boat is learning to do all the practical stuff yourself, the more you can do the less you'll have to shell out paying "professionals". It's not rocket science, boaters are a mostly helpful lot & you'll lose count of the number of times you watch somebody do something on Youtube then have a go yourself. It's not an easy life but if you're the right sort of person (happy living relatively frugally, not needing to be surrounded by tons of posessions, etc.) you might really enjoy it. And they (whoever they are) say you regret the things you didn't do not those you did...

2 minutes ago, Crewcut said:

How about working for NHS 111 remotely? Or finding somewhere that you can overwinter near to where you can get plenty of bank shifts? As already mentioned I'd make sure you cover your NI contributions somehow. Digital nomad (IT/computer-based) type work can be very well paid if you have the right skills/qualifications/experience, there is more basic work available but it's really not very lucrative. Could you retrain in something IT related? FWIW I worked on the wards as an HCA for about 5 years, doing bank most of that time gave a lot of flexibility to take chunks of time off but I could still earn enough to keep myself afloat (pun intended), in my case in a coastal marina. I'll be honest I got to the stage where the list of places I was prepared to do shifts got smaller and smaller as time went on, A & E & AMU you'll not be surprised to hear being the first to go.

The other thing with living on a boat is learning to do all the practical stuff yourself, the more you can do the less you'll have to shell out paying "professionals". It's not rocket science, boaters are a mostly helpful lot & you'll lose count of the number of times you watch somebody do something on Youtube then have a go yourself. It's not an easy life but if you're the right sort of person (happy living relatively frugally, not needing to be surrounded by tons of posessions, etc.) you might really enjoy it. And they (whoever they are) say you regret the things you didn't do not those you did...

I only have nursing as a skill set. And to retrain I would have to pay alot of money for. Money im saving for the boat life so its not an option.

I've worked A&E, AMU, ITU, and now in a cushy private elective surgery. Ideally I wouldnt want to go back to the first 3. But I'd sacrifice working anywhere so I can get the money to be free for the summer. Give to take and all that 😅

I've always dreamed of an "off the grid" and simple life but the thought of such a big change scared me. But my friend got her boat not long ago and its given me the oomph to know its very possible. Though I thought more of campervan then boat lol. 

I'm giving myself a year to learn as much as possible. And plan to do a basic training course next spring plus my friend is letting me stay with her on her boat for a bit later this summer so I can really get a feel for it.

3 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I believe there is a floating brothel in Amsterdam - I'm not sure how that would work CCing on UK canals but I'm sure it must be profitable.  🤷‍♂️

Tam

Do you think that's funny?

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I believe there is a floating brothel in Amsterdam - I'm not sure how that would work CCing on UK canals but I'm sure it must be profitable.  🤷‍♂️

Tam

No need for foolish comments 😬

31 minutes ago, HanaE said:

Thanks for the response 😃

CC as a beginner during winter scares me haha. But didn't think of seasonal work in the local areas. Im sure thier are some agencies that do quick temp positions. I have a little saving and will build on it in the next year.

Ignoring the daft comment about prostitution winter CC’ing isn’t all that bad you just need to know what the weather is going to do so you’re not caught short of water/coal/toilet emptying when the ice is too thick. Do the maintenance stuff in the summer. If any non urgent repairs come up on my nb in the winter then I just say to myself ‘that can wait until the summer’ or ‘I’ll get some more round tuits’. However I sometimes think a marina does sound nice with lovely grid electric 🤣

I found at or near minimum wage jobs are aplenty so if you’re after a min wage winter job then as long as you’re not a complete muppet and attend the interview reasonable dressed and an explanation as to why the address you gave is the other side of the country then you should have no problem job wise 😃

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

Maybe @Kate_MM can tell you, I hope she sees the funny side of this and remembers past performances 😈

I would think Bank Nursing would be best as it would attract a decent pension if employed directly. There’s plenty of hospitals fairly near canals, As mentioned NHS111 gives the ability to work remotely they sometimes do pay superannuation I believe but not all doing 111 work do. There is other nhs work available remotely as well.

It’s easy to overlook pension benefits 

However being a nurse does give transferable skills, relative trustworthiness generally articulate, probably good at sales (You are selling suggested  treatments preventatiive work much else to patients) and having empathy. It maybe good to start talking to employment agencies for ideas for non nursing work? 

11 hours ago, Peanut said:

Very true, really difficult to keep everything on track without a solid work base. Ten percent if income should be in to a pension or savings.

It might be possible to get a job in the NHS or industry which does not involve the aspects of nursing which you dislike  your current qualifications and experience will be what gets you an interview for well paid jobs .

Jobs which are careers, careers mean a better standard if living, a car for example so you can work.

The problems of winter, and I am retired.

Electricity daily top up

Heating ie coal logs firelighterw sticks £200 pcm  One delivery pcm

Cassette. weekly

Water .Gas Delivery Diesel 

Depression isolation drudgery from first three.

My advice is make more money and pay for a serviced mooring three months of the year.

Edited by LadyG

I have a friend who is a qualified nurse and she has done research projects which lasted several months collecting data and at the moment is doing in home care, staying in someone's home, overnight for 4 nights a week. I am sure you can get a much better return on your training than working for the NHS directly.

Just to support another commentator, full time WFH on the boat over winter, very lonely.

By the time you have done 5 full days the rest of your time is spent doing necessary chores.

Summer is fine as you can work near the boat, and others are out and about.

Winter everyone is buttoned up and in a hurry to get somewhere warm and dry.

Full disclosure never tried it whilst Cc'ing only in a marina, but in my mind CC'ing likely to be worse.