Gas has run out

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have sometimes wondered if these ongoing tribulations are overstated and are primarily for the purpose of creating social interaction.

Is there a better explanation for the absurdity of this thread?

In some ways you are correct :) ,  now from this thread I have discovered.

1) that almost every boat uses a pigtail , something I would just have called "the hose that connects regulator to boat gas pipes"

2) I could buy a gas leak detector if I was concerned about the gas fittings, I used a Boat Gas Safe BSS examiner, to make sure my installation was satisfactory, which is the best way imho.

3) someone kindly searched for Boat Safe Gas Safe people, which I had failed to find myself :).

4) I expect other folks have benefited from this thread, and have been duly entertained at the outcome :).

No one died.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

1) that almost every boat uses a pigtail , something I would just have called "the hose that connects regulator to boat gas pipes"

2) I could buy a gas leak detector if I was concerned about the gas fittings, I used a Boat Gas Safe BSS examiner, to make sure my installation was satisfactory, which is the best way imho.

3) someone kindly searched for Boat Safe Gas Safe people, which I had failed to find myself :).

4) I expect other folks have benefited from this thread, and have been duly entertained at the outcome :).

No one died.

And nor will they if you buy a new gas bottle and light the cooker.

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, MtB said:

I think that joke was made illegal in about 1988....

While we're doing jokes from a bygone age, did you hear about the bod with jelly and cream in one ear, and cake in the other? Went to his doctor who asked "Are you a trifle deaf?"

Or better, the doctor said "I can see your problem immediately. You're not eating properly..." :) 

I went to my doctor last week, he said i was going deaf, that news was hard to hear.

• Greenie 1

On 15/04/2023 at 08:16, LadyG said:

OK, well yesterday I could hear a tiny hiss near the stove, but I thought it was just something in my ears, as sometimes happens.

No smell of gas.

Going back to the start of the thread, ^^^this^^^ doesn't ring true.

A gas leak big enough to hear will be losing massive amounts of gas and the inside of the boat would absolutely stink. But "no mell of gas".

Then LadyG goes on to say the gas flame seems "a bit weak". I'd say a gas flame that's "a bit weak" would certainly have ignited an adjacent gas leak big enough to actually hear and LadyG would not be here to have posted the thread.

I think we can conclude there is no gas leak and she has simply run out of gas. 

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No one died.

And there are more people on the forum than i’ve seen in yonks + a refreshing lack of nastiness. Keep it up Lady G at least if you drive all us bonkers it may be less stress for your cat

i probably spoke too soon....

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Going back to the start of the thread, ^^^this^^^ doesn't ring true.

A gas leak big enough to hear will be losing massive amounts of gas and the inside of the boat would absolutely stink. But "no mell of gas".

Then LadyG goes on to say the gas flame seems "a bit weak". I'd say a gas flame that's "a bit weak" would certainly have ignited an adjacent gas leak big enough to actually hear and LadyG would not be here to have posted the thread.

I think we can conclude there is no gas leak and she has simply run out of gas. 

Later discovered that the milk boiling over on to the burner dried over night, that burner needs to be cleaned but I have three others which work!

Edited by LadyG

Lady G just in case you need to start another thread on attaching the gas bottle the thread is left hand NOT right hand!

so to loosen it (in your case a wheel instead of a spanner you say) turn it clockwise as if you were tightening it

when you put the new one on turn it anti-clockwise. There is no need to overtighten it you will only damage the seal

if you had a can of leak detector you could check that it was ok which may reassure you. Or if you can get someone to fit it a bubble detector (around £50) is really reassuring and enables you to check for a leaks in minutes. On a daily basis if you want

and then enjoy a cuppa

Thanks all, I do use a gas leak detector liquid when I change the gas bottle, it makes sense.

Just now, Mike Hurley said:

The hissing may have been the cat🤪

No I think the hissing was some minor noise in my ears, I am sure other people have had that at some time....

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So, what was causing the 'hissing' and the 'low flames' if she had run out of gas ?

Again based on my 2040, there is a sort of well under the burner cap with the jet pointing upright in the middle, if any liquid gets into the well it seems to interrupt the gas flow, so the burner does not work properly. That manifests itself in few ways like some flames being weak, some flames lifting off the burner and so on. All gas burners I have heard hiss when in use so my suspicion is that when the burner did not work as intended (I bet it is the burner LadyG uses most of the time) it caused her to concentrate and hear the normal hiss, although with milk in that well it may have sounded slightly different. I have found suddenly noticing something that one feels is a bit odd brings all sorts of other sounds etc. to light. It is one reason I do not ignore, but am careful about accepting a customer's described symptoms as gospel.

Now we know about the milk, it makes a kind of sense to me.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 15/04/2023 at 09:29, LadyG said:

I don't think I got COVID, not noticed any loss of sense of smell , which is normally very acute.

I lost what I think was about 90% of my sense of smell in 2018 after catching the Australian flu, but I didn't actually notice the loss immediately, because it was lost gradually over several days. 

If there is even a question mark about it, I would test your smell sense, eg try opening a couple of jars of strong smelling condiments or foodstuffs, and see if they smell as strongly as you recall. 

It's admittedly a long shot, but worth checking. 

This reminds me that a while back I was pondering a gas detector device that I planned to install, as I can't rely on my nose to inform me of a gas leak. 

Edited by Tony1

@LadyG, I think that by poking each hole in the burner with something suitable, you may be able to clear it so it works. From memory, the holes are rectangular (not 100% sure on that) so maybe cut a slither of aluminium drink can - you can rut that with a decent kitchen scissors.

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No I think the hissing was some minor noise in my ears, I am sure other people have had that at some time....

You may have mild Tinnitus, ringing in the ears, i have it in my left ear. There is a helpline you can call, i tried it once but it kept ringing.................................

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Lady G just in case you need to start another thread on attaching the gas bottle the thread is left hand NOT right hand!

so to loosen it (in your case a wheel instead of a spanner you say) turn it clockwise as if you were tightening it

when you put the new one on turn it anti-clockwise. There is no need to overtighten it you will only damage the seal

if you had a can of leak detector you could check that it was ok which may reassure you. Or if you can get someone to fit it a bubble detector (around £50) is really reassuring and enables you to check for a leaks in minutes. On a daily basis if you want

and then enjoy a cuppa

Point of Order...

A bubble tester cannot detect a leaking gas bottle connection.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Again based on my 2040, there is a sort of well under the burner cap with the jet pointing upright in the middle, if any liquid gets into the well it seems to interrupt the gas flow, so the burner does not work properly. That manifests itself in few ways like some flames being weak, some flames lifting off the burner and so on. All gas burners I have heard hiss when in use so my suspicion is that when the burner did not work as intended (I bet it is the burner LadyG uses most of the time) it caused her to concentrate and hear the normal hiss, although with milk in that well it may have sounded slightly different. I have found suddenly noticing something that one feels is a bit odd brings all sorts of other sounds etc. to light. It is one reason I do not ignore, but am careful about accepting a customer's described symptoms as gospel.

Now we know about the milk, it makes a kind of sense to me.

Spot on @Tony Brooks

I bought a pen type gas leak detector of the internet.

It's a Habotest (made in China,where else?) and works fine. (I check it frequently by letting it 'sniff' a bit of gas from the cooker turning a burner on for a second or two)

It cost about £7.

I live about 15 minutes away from Elland, and if you would like to borrow it, send me a PM.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I bought a pen type gas leak detector of the internet.

It's a Habotest (made in China,where else?) and works fine. (I check it frequently by letting it 'sniff' a bit of gas from the cooker turning a burner on for a second or two)

It cost about £7.

Presumably a while ago?

Over £16 on eBay these days as far as I can see.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I suppose one must not suggest a match be used to detect a gas leak. 

That would be shocking. 

We would always use a lighter around the regulator / hose barb to check for leaks. If there was a major leak you'd hear it before trying the 'lighter test', but it was a small leak you simply get a stuttering flame when the lighter was removed.