The Big Getaway....or not...

matty40s

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Well, it's such a lovely stretch, and pretty lock, we did this, and a fantastic meal at the Wharf Inn late afternoon following a walk round the absolutely full reservoirs.

20230408_221727.jpg

20230408_221759.jpg

Just round the bend……

Absolutely chocka heading to Great Haywood today for the floating market. Must've passed a decent 20 or so boats heading south, and we got comfy in a queue of 4 or so boats at Colwich lock (6 by the time we left, broken paddle...). Got a spot maybe 10 or so boats before the start of the market (heading north, before the lock), and definitely shan't be moving on until Monday. Wonderful to see so many people out, and the weather's been absolutely perfect! Had a glass of wine sat out watching the sunset while the cat went into the nearby field and bothered a pheasant that was strutting it's stuff.

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Well, it's such a lovely stretch, and pretty lock, we did this, and a fantastic meal at the Wharf Inn late afternoon following a walk round the absolutely full reservoirs.

20230408_221727.jpg

20230408_221759.jpg

Great spot for a visit

On 07/04/2023 at 10:22, matty40s said:

Easter used to be the first big holiday on the canals, hire boats all out, and lots of private boats dusting off the cobwebs, even if just for the long weekend.

So where is everyone?

We have only had one boat pass us this morning, a Kate Boat, other than that, nothing since leaving the mooring after work at 4 yesterday.

Apparently yesterday the Watford flight only saw 7 boats all day.

What a glorious day to have the canals to ourselves.

20230407_102114.jpg

They are all on the Coventry , one passing every few minutes. Took DQ out for a shakedown to the Glascote winding hole yesterday, after servicing her and it was really busy. Had to wait for boats passing each way before I let go, and again whilst winding and again on my return when mooring.

Edited by cuthound
Grandma

It does make me laugh when people moor in reed beds, with mahoosive slow down signs front and rear, and moor like this.

20230409_100835.thumb.jpg.664e733487e480332951d24bdd8eec27.jpg

As you approach the front, it moves out almost 2 feet, and then the boat pendulums, get level with the back end, another foot out and pendulum, and they have the temerity  to shout slow down, even though the engine would stall completely if any slower.

This is by no means the only one....

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It does make me laugh when people moor in reed beds, with mahoosive slow down signs front and rear, and moor like this.

As you approach the front, it moves out almost 2 feet, and then the boat pendulums, get level with the back end, another foot out and pendulum, and they have the temerity  to shout slow down, even though the engine would stall completely if any slower.

It really is a first class example of how NOT to moor up, and blame everyone else for passing too fast. 

Them nappy pins are almost designed to jump out like that and clank wildly as the lines tighten.

Nice touch, getting the boat name in the photo!

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Tickerty Boo I’ve seen that about in the Staff and Worcester I’m sure. 

I’m by a lock and it’s very busy.

My lines are slack and the boat’s going back and forth. 
Forward when the lock fills and back and forth as the boats pass. 
It’s all very gentle and I like it, reminds me why I love being on a boat. 

• Greenie 1

Nobody out on the Thames in Berkshire except me in the launch and a few random paddle boards and canoes . Very few. 

The River is still mostly on red boards / SSA. 

Quite a lot of shutting in on the weirs but predictably the forecast for tomorrow and next week is rather damp. 

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

The other point which amuses me is a notice on the boat is always so small that if you hadn't already slowed down slowing down would make no difference by the time you read it.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Tickerty Boo I’ve seen that about in the Staff and Worcester I’m sure. 

I’m by a lock and it’s very busy.

My lines are slack and the boat’s going back and forth. 
Forward when the lock fills and back and forth as the boats pass. 
It’s all very gentle and I like it, reminds me why I love being on a boat. 

I also bet you dont have widebeam slow down banners blocking the navigation either.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Met just one boat today on the most silted bend on the Daw End Branch where a stream feeds silt in on the off side, we didn't touch but both chewed treacle for a bit before getting to open water.

Did you turn right from the Tame Valley to the Rushall at lunchtime yesterday? I saw a boat doing that as I approached from Ocker Hill and I thought it looked like it might be Harnser.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Did you turn right from the Tame Valley to the Rushall at lunchtime yesterday? I saw a boat doing that as I approached from Ocker Hill and I thought it looked like it might be Harnser.

That was us, stopped at Longwood, now at Chasewater

South end of the T&M was very busy on Friday. I watched the parade of boats passing at Willington, cycled up to Dallow Lock to do some lock-wheeling expecting a queue and wasn't disappointed. Not a minute from 1pm to 3.30 without boats waiting, mostly to go uphill.

From 11 until 2 yesterday, probably saw more moving boats than the rest of the weekend put together,probably about 30 all piling out of Kilworth, Crick and Yelvertoft marinas.

As soon as we passed Crick, we were on our own again, waited at the top of Watford for 6 boats to come up, and nobody turned up behind us.

Norton Junction was as busy as I've seen it, mostly liveaboards, with the sunken butty STILL sat near the waterpoint, we dropped down the first lock and moored for the evening.

Rain stopped at 11 this morning, so engine on, and round the corner came a handy hire boat crew, just in time!! The wind was rather vicious as the heavy showers came through, and the trees were dropping detrious though Dodford woods.

Splendid weekends boating, glad we set off Thursday evening as it gave us far more time up the (horrible I tell you) Leicester summit.

On 08/04/2023 at 18:34, Arthur Marshall said:

Very quiet on the Macc, not surprisingly.

The upper Macc / Upper Peak Forest were the busiest I've seen it in ages, quite a few hire boats too, I'd wondered if the restricted lock times would deter hirers. 

50 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Hmmm putting us right off the Leicester line Matt sound like a horrible trip. Was going that way next week...

If me boats finished!!!

I'm back tommorow, was in earlier but you must have been up the Narrowbote

Quiet as the grave on the southern Oxford this afternoon. Not a single boat went past this afternoon before I left and came back to the hovel at about 7.30pm.

On the M40 just south of Banbury it passed over the canal which from a 0.5 second glance appeared almost totally empty. Mebbe this was the problem.

No stoppage reports recd on the text though so I mebbe I was mistakened...

Edited by MtB