We're recruiting! - Moderator Vacancy (Voluntary)

RichM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Quite. 

Anybody who actually wants the job will obviously be biased, emotionally unstable, a total fruitloop and spectacularly unsuitable. 

Maybe Dan will dig out my application from 2016 and read it after all! 

In view of what you say in the line above are you still saying you want the job?

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Quite. 

Anybody who actually wants the job will obviously be biased, emotionally unstable, a total fruitloop and spectacularly unsuitable. 

Maybe Dan will dig out my application from 2016 and read it after all! 

In view of what you say in the line above are you still saying you want the job?

28 minutes ago, Wanted said:

i seem to recall him selling his boat and running out of steam a bit, I do miss him though, and his music tastes

I seem to remember that he developed some serious health issues and I have often wondered how he was .

• Greenie 3

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

I seem to remember that he developed some serious health issues and I have often wondered how he was .

That too is my recollection.

Some of his debates with Dave Mayall were legendary.

1 hour ago, Wanted said:

i seem to recall him selling his boat and running out of steam a bit, I do miss him though, and his music tastes

An esoteric taste in music if I recall

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Yup, same, I do hope he is OK 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, M_JG said:

That too is my recollection.

Some of his debates with Dave Mayall were legendary.

How they defended each others right to disagree with each other was admirable to the point you’d be forgiven if you thought they were family! 

• Greenie 1

How's it progressing? How many applications have we received?

On 28/03/2023 at 18:38, Ray T said:

Or perhaps take a helicopter view of the candidates?

What does this mean?

On 28/03/2023 at 18:38, Ray T said:

Or perhaps take a helicopter view of the candidates?

What does this mean?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

How's it progressing? How many applications have we received?

What does this mean?

heli·cop·ter view
[helicopter view]

NOUN
INFORMAL
  1. (Especially in business) a general survey of something; an overview.

When I worked for BT we had a level 2 manager who was full of Americanisms, most of them were avoidance tactics by him.
    e.g. "No such thing as problems, it is a window of opportunity for you to sort out, not bother me with!"
    "You are failing to see the big picture."

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Ray T said:
heli·cop·ter view
[helicopter view]

NOUN
INFORMAL

When I worked for BT we had a level 2 manager who was full of Americanisms, most of them were avoidance tactics by him.
    e.g. "No such thing as problems a window of opportunity for you to sort out, not bother me with!"

Sir, SIR, can you help me please? I'm stuck with an insurmountable window of opportunity....

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

Sir, SIR, can you help me please? I'm stuck with an insurmountable window of opportunity....

"You are talking to me as if you are talking to someone who cares."

Not said to me but to a college at a team meeting, by a manager, when he raised an objection.

"You are failing to keep up with today's economic climate, it is about time you brought yourself up to speed and I suggest you sit down now."

Said to me at a seminar when I said a planned procedure wouldn't work and gave good evidence why.

I suppose it was the same in other big companies but one had to be astute at playing the political game.

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

"You are failing to keep up with today's economic climate, it is about time you brought yourself up to speed and I suggest you sit down now."

Said to me at a seminar when I said a planned procedure wouldn't work and gave good evidence why.

Depressing, isn't it!

Just now, David Mack said:

Is that an example of repetition, deviation or hesitation (as in another current thread)?

No, no, no.

The "submit reply" feature did not appear to be working, so I pressed it thrice. Looks as if it was working after all.

Just now, Athy said:

No, no, no.

The "submit reply" feature did not appear to be working, so I pressed it thrice. Looks as if it was working after all.

We all have that trouble Athy. I think its the forum software that is slow.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, no, no.

If the post you're replying to is not on the last page of the thread then nothing seems to happen because you're looking at the last-but-one page, but it will post (invisibly) onto the last page as many times as you press the button... 😞

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, Ray T said:
heli·cop·ter view
[helicopter view]

NOUN
INFORMAL

e.g. "No such thing as problems, it is a window of opportunity for you to sort out, not bother me with!"
    "You are failing to see the big picture."

I had a similar experience with a bully of a third line manger, Liam, who HR eventually put on gardening leave for the final year of his career as so many people had complained about his bullying.

A colleague of mine, Bob,  really upset him when Liam began yawning during a presentation that Bob was giving. When the yawning didn't work, the bully said " for God's sake get on with it Bob, I'm losing the will to live".

Bob's response was swift and brutal. "Well then Liam, your just going to effing die then, because I've put a lot of effort into this presentation and Im going to finish it at my own pace!

Liam went very red and spluttered but didn't interrupt the presentation again.

• Greenie 2

Thanks all and special thanks to everyone who has come forward and also to those who have provided feedback & suggestions. Much appreciated,

Just a quick reminder; the closing date for applications is Sunday 9th April, 2023 as to give everyone an opportunity to apply should they wish. Everyone will receive a reply by PM and successful applicants will be contacted again shortly after the closing date. 

If you haven't applied and wish to do so, feel free to come forward and drop me a PM. Don't worry, we're not expecting an essay or any kind of formal application - just a short paragraph outlining your interest in the role and anything you feel that may be relevant.

Thanks again and wishing everyone a great Easter weekend. :)

Cheers

Rich

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...