Jump to content

BCN Challenge 2023


Featured Posts

I have agreed to take on organisation of this year's Challenge and am currently going through the motions of handover with Sue.

 

The Challenge will take place on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th May with a proposed finishing point of Tipton. I'm currently speaking to folk regarding the social gathering that follows the event.

 

I have mailed an update to last year's participants and aim to expand the mailing list in the near future, but if anyone is interested in the event please PM me.

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have agreed to take on organisation of this year's Challenge and am currently going through the motions of handover with Sue.

 

The Challenge will take place on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th May with a proposed finishing point of Tipton. I'm currently speaking to folk regarding the social gathering that follows the event.

 

I have mailed an update to last year's participants and aim to expand the mailing list in the near future, but if anyone is interested in the event please PM me.

 

PM sent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have agreed to take on organisation of this year's Challenge and am currently going through the motions of handover with Sue.

 

The Challenge will take place on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th May with a proposed finishing point of Tipton. I'm currently speaking to folk regarding the social gathering that follows the event.

 

I have mailed an update to last year's participants and aim to expand the mailing list in the near future, but if anyone is interested in the event please PM me.

 

 

Just to say how delighted we are to be handing the organisation of the BCN Challenge to Jon. 

 

Well, he did win it - perhaps we could use that as a precedent. That would shake things up a bit!

 

Richard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RLWP said:

 

Just to say how delighted we are to be handing the organisation of the BCN Challenge to Jon. 

 

Well, he did win it - perhaps we could use that as a precedent. That would shake things up a bit!

 

Richard

Not good for the associated crew, need to find another boat to join now or bring my own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have agreed to take on organisation of this year's Challenge and am currently going through the motions of handover with Sue.

 

The Challenge will take place on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th May with a proposed finishing point of Tipton. I'm currently speaking to folk regarding the social gathering that follows the event.

 

I have mailed an update to last year's participants and aim to expand the mailing list in the near future, but if anyone is interested in the event please PM me.

 

That's great news and all the best for the hard work to come

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have mailed an update to last year's participants and aim to expand the mailing list in the near future, but if anyone is interested in the event please PM me.

 

I haven't received a message - should that be by email or PM?


Alec

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:


Looking for a boat to crew?

 

Has it got a weedhatch?  We don't want a repeat of last year's trouble!

 

 

Edited by TheBiscuits
It's not this year anymore!!
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

 

Has it got a weedhatch?  We don't want a repeat of last year's trouble!

 

 

Last year was fairly epic for trouble, let's not forget the random shit faced bloke who kept stealing things off the boat who wouldn't leave, until I did my angry monkey impression, I think Kev and I got 2 hrs kip that night.

 

The truly bizzare thing is he kept talking about books (which is grand but at 4am?), the following morning we found a Mills and Boon book left as a gift on the roof

  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done for stepping up to take over the organisation, I am certain there is a lot of work involved and I wish you well with it, I also wish all the contestants a truly great challenge 2023. 

 

Delhi won't be taking part this year. Please can someone offer the crew a place on their boat. I can confirm they are a really brilliant team and work like trojans - we estimate we lost about an hour and a half to prop fouls last year which is what thwarted us 

 

I can wholeheartedly recommend Monkey, Kev and Rob to anyone looking for a team 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/01/2023 at 12:52, RLWP said:

 

Just to say how delighted we are to be handing the organisation of the BCN Challenge to Jon. 

 

Well, he did win it - perhaps we could use that as a precedent. That would shake things up a bit!

 

Richard

 

Now you're (nearly) free of the burden of organisation I'm hoping that you'll be competing this year. On that subject I notice that last years HQ boat isn't on the list of competitors. I assume though that @MoominPapa is aware? 

 

I think if you and Sue hadn't taken on organisation back in 2019(?) then we might not have the Challenge today.

 

It would be good though to find a way of being the (chief) organiser and a competitor. An issue for the future.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

It would be good though to find a way of being the (chief) organiser and a competitor. An issue for the future.


Is it a problem then, are you not going to able to join in as (chief) organiser?

 

I think that would be a shame. 
You are one of the rarities who go through the Dudley tunnel. 
And let’s not forget it’s a challenge not so much a competition 👍

 

(although we do of course get competitive 😃)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Goliath said:


Is it a problem then, are you not going to able to join in as (chief) organiser?

 

I think that would be a shame. 
You are one of the rarities who go through the Dudley tunnel. 
And let’s not forget it’s a challenge not so much a competition 👍

 

(although we do of course get competitive 😃)

 

 

 

 

I am considered entering and using the Saturday to get myself to the finish point via the most challenging available route. A bit of a @Laurie Booth on steroids kind of affair. Plus it has the added advantage of not having to get up at stupid o'clock on Sunday to do even more boating. It'll depend on what I know needs to be done in the way of organisation at the finish point on the Saturday. It might not be possible.

 

Maybe I could set a benchmark score whereby those finishing lower have to buy a pint for those finishing above. Although if I single hand for 16 hours you might find I score pretty competitively.

 

I have also considered using the weekend to leg through Dudley Tunnel again. However the DC&TT may not be able to resource any attempts to transit the tunnel on a Bank Holiday weekend. That's something I will check with them before issuing scoring sheets. I know they would have refused any requests last year because I inquired about doing it on the day before the Challenge last year. This year it's not a Bank Holiday on the day before of course, so it might be possible that day even if the weekend is out.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It'll depend on what I know needs to be done in the way of organisation at the finish point on the Saturday. 


Beer of course!

And lots and lots of it!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

 

I am considered entering and using the Saturday to get myself to the finish point via the most challenging available route. A bit of a @Laurie Booth on steroids kind of affair. Plus it has the added advantage of not having to get up at stupid o'clock on Sunday to do even more boating. It'll depend on what I know needs to be done in the way of organisation at the finish point on the Saturday. It might not be possible.

 

Maybe I could set a benchmark score whereby those finishing lower have to buy a pint for those finishing above. Although if I single hand for 16 hours you might find I score pretty competitively.

 

I have also considered using the weekend to leg through Dudley Tunnel again. However the DC&TT may not be able to resource any attempts to transit the tunnel on a Bank Holiday weekend. That's something I will check with them before issuing scoring sheets. I know they would have refused any requests last year because I inquired about doing it on the day before the Challenge last year. This year it's not a Bank Holiday on the day before of course, so it might be possible that day even if the weekend is out.

 

 

 

We would consider going through Dudley Tunnel on the Sunday and I’m sure Ferrous would as well, if we could show a  joint interest to Becky at the trust well in advance I suspect the outcome would be more favourable 

  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dan Fasham said:

We would consider going through Dudley Tunnel on the Sunday and I’m sure Ferrous would as well, if we could show a  joint interest to Becky at the trust well in advance I suspect the outcome would be more favourable 

 

Give it a try. It's about them having enough volunteer staff to cover the tunnel trip boats plus escorting others on a busy weekend. Things could be better now as Covid was probably a factor.

 

Would Ferrous fit the tunnel? They are apparently stricter these days and the gauge is supposedly lower since the earthquake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is lower.  Best to go from Parkhead as the gauge is about 2” higher and there’s no quibble

41 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

 

Give it a try. It's about them having enough volunteer staff to cover the tunnel trip boats plus escorting others on a busy weekend. Things could be better now as Covid was probably a factor.

 

Would Ferrous fit the tunnel? They are apparently stricter these days and the gauge is supposedly lower since the earthquake.

When was the earthquake?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.