BCN Challenge 2023

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I doubt I will ve taking part this year, the first missed BCN for a fair few years but can I say to anyone who is reading the thread and is undecided about taking part, just go for it, you can take it seriously or just do it for fun either way it's a fantastic way to experience the BCN, with the bonus of a few beers at the end.

Go on, you know you want to

I passed a little green boat today and it whispered to me “take me to the Challenge, take me to the Challenge.”

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, tree monkey said:

either way it's a fantastic way to experience the BCN, with the bonus of a few beers at the end.

Hmm. Last time I took part we never got to the end due to numerous delays en route, so no beers at the finish. But we did get to call out CRT that evening, who arrived at almost midnight, to winch us off an obstacle in the middle of the canal in Erdington!

We called CRT a few years ago as we were well jammed in Walsall Lock 7 around 11pm so didn't fancy having a 6 hour break there.  By the time the on call CRT guy called back we had managed to extract ourselves and reverse back out the lock.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Hmm. Last time I took part we never got to the end due to numerous delays en route, so no beers at the finish. But we did get to call out CRT that evening, who arrived at almost midnight, to winch us off an obstacle in the middle of the canal in Erdington!

Erdington?? You got stuck on the BCN but it was between Salford and Fazeley? 🤣

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I see a new stoppage on the Digbeth branch will close this route from the 22nd May until 30th June.

Thanks for that. A little unfortunate but not fundamental. I'll advise the participants by e-mail tomorrow and show it as not included in the score sheets.

I was tempted to remove the Birmingham & Warwick Junction section in favour of an out and back of the Digbeth branch, given the B&W isn't actually part of the BCN. Ultimately I wasn't convinced it would be to much effect but potentially might encourage folk to Typhoo Basin which is the one place in that area that meets the intention of the BCN Challenge to get folk to little used places.

All irrevalent with this news anyway.

5 minutes ago, Little Else said:

Does anyone know if there is anywhere safe to leave a car near the finish?

I've left my car in the health centre car park by John The Lock moorings for a couple of days in the past when moving the working boats.  I put it in one of the spaces nearest the canal and didn't get any problems.  May have just been lucky but I think there are security cameras on the car park.

I went through there a little less than a month ago and it was fine. 
Enough trollies to either side mind. 
Take a grappling hook and you’ll win the trolley challenge. 

The local CRT blokes said Asda(?) were having to do something about it. 
What they’re doing and if they’re doing it I ain’t the foggiest. 

Edited by Goliath

19 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I went through there a little less than a month ago and it was fine. 
Enough trollies to either side mind. 
Take a grappling hook and you’ll win the trolley challenge. 

The local CRT blokes said Asda(?) were having to do something about it. 
What they’re doing and if they’re doing it I ain’t the foggiest. 

On the subject of the trolley trophy I need to make sure that gets to Tipton, which might mean me going to collect it next week. I may even finally get my hands on the 2022 Winners Trophy.

I am already in possession of the plaques and this years winners trophy and I do intend to award the trolley trophy,

I am also intending to ensure that anyone who decorates their boat will get some points for their efforts, as per the Rules.

• Happy 1

Just now, Goliath said:

And beer beer beer beer beer?

You got lots of beer???

144 pints on order from Black Country Ales to be collected next week.

Thinking about how to provide some wine and cider for the unbearded folk of any gender.

Curry booked for 2000 on Sunday for those interested.

Special viewing of Championship Play-off final at 1645 Saturday in the Old Bush & Barrel for all Sky Blues fans that can't go to Wembley because of the Challenge.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Blimey! How many people are you expecting?

News of a good curry travels far.

(I've no idea if it's any good tbf but I don't think the participants will be in a mood to be too critical).

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Should keep us going for a few hours.

I based the quantity on how much you drank last year. 🤣