BCN Challenge 2023

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, IanM said:

Will there be a plaque available this year? We paid for one last year but I assume for whatever reason there weren’t any made as we didn’t receive one. 

They were made. We picked ours up at the finish.

Alec

34 minutes ago, IanM said:

Will there be a plaque available this year? We paid for one last year but I assume for whatever reason there weren’t any made as we didn’t receive one. 

I'm sure I had a plaque last year. Of course it helps to actually get to the finish to collect it. Sorry, couldn't resist but seriously I don't think the society runs to footing the bill for mail order. There may be one or two left over from last year, so if you enter this year I'll see if I can get one for you to collect. I think @Rob-M had an additional one ordered but neglected to collect it.

I have sourcing of plaques on my list of things to find out about but given the BCNS award them for lots of events I don't foresee any problems. Also the entry form says you get one for your money.

I'd also like to know where the trophies are. I think there's a winners trophy - and I should be in possession of it but I'm not - but there is definitely the trolley trophy and possibly a wooden spoon. I can donate the latter if necessary. 

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

I think Tipton is a good call 

In addition to what’s been said there’s a few pubs close by,

And Tipton Station is close enough for visiting crew to come and go.

And I just like Tipton 👍

Although the shops are shyte 

I'm discussing hire of the Stables meeting room and I have an offer to facilitate a supply of beer from Ma Pardoes and possibly even entertainment.

I think it works well when the boater's congregate together and ideally I'd like to be get the scores calculated on the Sunday afternoon. So even if we're not able to offer the facility all evening I'd like to at least have a few hours gathering of boats and people and possibly aim to get a result out before those that wish to head to the pub do so.

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think there's a winners trophy - and I should be in possession of it but I'm not - but there is definitely the trolley trophy and possibly a wooden spoon. I can donate the latter if necessary. 

The winners trophy I got was for me to keep.

IMG_20190527_122802.jpg.40a0faeb64b34f298513cc7aa754259c.jpg

Sue had the trolley back before last year's challenge - I intended to bring it in person but couldn't make it to the challenge so I couriered it to her.

IMG_20190527_122620.jpg.9fb97f8840d4eae3d430ebda0c0c5601.jpg

You won't need another wooden spoon if Clarrie is entering ... ;)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The winners trophy I got was for me to keep.

IMG_20190527_122802.jpg.40a0faeb64b34f298513cc7aa754259c.jpg

Sue had the trolley back before last year's challenge - I intended to bring it in person but couldn't make it to the challenge so I couriered it to her.

IMG_20190527_122620.jpg.9fb97f8840d4eae3d430ebda0c0c5601.jpg

You won't need another wooden spoon if Clarrie is entering ... ;)

I wasn't sure if a new winners trophy was produced annually or passed on. Maybe there should be a trophy to be passed on and a winner's plaque for keeps.

I can collect the shopping trolley trophy from Richard and Sue. Hope they can find it 😉

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I'm discussing hire of the Stables meeting room and I have an offer to facilitate a supply of beer from Ma Pardoes and possibly even entertainment.

I think it works well when the boater's congregate together and ideally I'd like to be get the scores calculated on the Sunday afternoon. So even if we're not able to offer the facility all evening I'd like to at least have a few hours gathering of boats and people and possibly aim to get a result out before those that wish to head to the pub do so.

👍

absolutely agree, 

just remember ... you can never order too much beer 🍺 

• 4 weeks later...

The first handful of entries have been submitted and I have more statements of intent than actual entries so far.

Of those that have signed up to date none of them took part in last year's challenge although a couple are past participants. I'm hoping that's positive in terms of eventual numbers.

Publicity for the event is really helpful so thanks for spreading the word, I know other folk are also doing that.

I've had seven or eight members from the forum message me stating their intention to take part and most of those are yet to submit an entry. There should be a few historic boats taking part including the BCNS/CCT's own Atlas and Malus. The Narrow Boat Trust had intended to return to the challenge with Nuneaton and Brighton but the logistics of attending Rickmansworth and then the Challenge have almost certainly scuppered that plan.

Sandwell council have agreed to the use of the Malthouse Stables at Tipton for mooring and the meeting room is reserved. Ultimately what gets laid on by the BCNS will depend on how many entries are received as the event needs to break even as a minimum.  

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

Will the BCNS be updating their website for this year? Currently if you follow the link from the main menu you get to https://bcnsociety.com/bcns-marathon-challenge/ which says the 2020 documents are still in preparation.

I'll drop the powers that be a line about getting the 24 Hour Challenge page updated. Of course the only way to get hold of the 2023 documents before the event is to apply to participate.

The entry form is available in a slightly different place on the website, BCN 24 Hour Marathon Challenge 2023 - Birmingham Canal Navigations Society (bcnsociety.com)

• 2 weeks later...

I've now compiled the rules and route planner for the 2023 event and these have been sent out to those folk that have already applied.

So now would be a good time for anyone intending to take part this year to get their entry form submitted.

• 4 weeks later...

Just giving this another bump as we're now less than two months from the event and while there are just about enough entries to date to make it viable there are still a few anticipated entries I have yet to receive.

Final arrangements are being made for the sundries like beer, plaques and trophies and by the end of April I'll have to confirm numbers. That's not to say there's a deadline but if you're inteding to participate and want a plaque and the beer not to run dry then sooner is better than later.

ETA - I'm also keeping an eye on the closures at Farmer's Bridge (which should be fixed in time) and Smethwick (which looks doubtful). The main line at Horseley Fields is open again now.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Looks like Smethwick should be open,

Notice Alert

Old Main Line

Starts At: Lock 2, Smethwick

Ends At: Spon Lane Roadbridge

Up Stream Winding Hole: Bromford Junction

Down Stream Winding Hole: Smethwick Junction

Thursday 8 September 2022 until Friday 14 April 2023 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Structure failure

Update on 03/04/2023:

We’re pleased to announce that works are starting today 3rd April to replace the top lock gate and get the lock back in full working order at Smethwick. We look forward to welcoming boats back through this popular stretch of the Old Main Line from Friday 14th April. Thank you for bearing with us while we created the new lock gate and finished our planned winter works.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

An update is overdue.

It appears that the whole BCN is open and should be available. The event licence has been received from CRT and arrangements for the hire of the meeting room at the Malthouse Stables and provision of beer are in place. Plaques are on order but there are a couple surplus for late entrants.

To date there are 18 entrants and I've just followed up the last few potentials I know about. Signed up for the event are:

Atlas & Malus

Dolly

England

Ferrous

Goliath

Goosander

Joanna

Maxwell

Melaleuca

Misbourne No 3

Misty Blue

Rebellion

Red Wharf

Tamar No 2

Tatty Lucy

Thistle

Rivets 5000

Song of the Waterways

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The event licence has been received from CRT

18 boats cruising across 100 miles of mostly little used sections of CRT's network. Why do you need an event licence, and what happens if you don't apply for one?

31 minutes ago, David Mack said:

18 boats cruising across 100 miles of mostly little used sections of CRT's network. Why do you need an event licence, and what happens if you don't apply for one?

Up to 20 boats congregating for up to 24 hours in one place utilising a combination of an independently operated CRT-owned mooring site and towpath mooring adjacent to a junction and requiring multiple breasting up of boats.

The selling of alcohol on CRT property.

The Challenge has the ability to inconvenience other canal users if not properly administered. It also has the potential to put pressure on infrastructure and water resources.

The BCNS aren't daft enough to not liaise with CRT, it's not in their interests.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 3

21 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I've heard a whisper that a new rule has been introduced.

Use of a bowthruster will result in the deduction of points.

Any truth in this?

😀

Well, it’s funny you should mention that.

I have been considering the introduction of jeopardy points whereby I would deposit the details of five ‘offences’ with the BCNS secretary ahead of the event and any boater committing one of those ‘offences’ would be deducted five points.

8 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

I've heard a whisper that a new rule has been introduced.

Use of a bowthruster will result in the deduction of points.

Any truth in this?

😀

Anyone using a bow thruster will be lacking in both skill and wit to navigate the complexities of the BCN,

and therefore, will be no opposition to other BCN challengers. 👍

They ought instead receive 5 bonus points as encouragement for taking part in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Anyone using a bow thruster will be lacking in both skill and wit to navigate the complexities of the BCN,

and therefore, will be no opposition to other BCN challengers. 👍

They ought instead receive 5 bonus points as encouragement for taking part in the first place.

I was tempted to suggest that the BCN would exact natural justice.

• Happy 1

I doubt I will ve taking part this year, the first missed BCN for a fair few years but can I say to anyone who is reading the thread and is undecided about taking part, just go for it, you can take it seriously or just do it for fun either way it's a fantastic way to experience the BCN, with the bonus of a few beers at the end.

Go on, you know you want to

• Greenie 1