Narrowboat repaint - recommendations?

SLC

Featured Posts

Help please!

Our 60 ft semi-trad narrowboat really requires a "full" repaint. We have tried to contact a few yards but they have not responded to our emails which is most disappointing. One that did come back led us up the garden path asking a lot of questions to which we went to a great deal of trouble to answer and then claimed they no longer had capacity and would no longer help. Leaves a bitter taste frankly. Questions were reasonable to protect yard and to identify scope of work but to then pull out....

So, is there a yard that anyone would recommend that can and is able to do a "full" repaint of our 2016 boat which is basically in good condition but where the paintwork has faded near to Dunchurch Pools (Rugby) in the direction of Northampton. This is a genuine enquiry and price is not the issue although obviously we want fair value! We understand that prices may not be fixed given the economic climate but would like to get Moose booked in on good faith.

I haven't had mine done (yet) but one yard I was looking at was Debdale Wharf although they are likely to be pricey. To be fair, anywhere can be a risk, I got chatting a few years back to someone who had theirs done at Norton Canes who as far as I was aware had a really good reputation. At the time I spoke with him he was really pleased with the job (I had commented on how good the job looked). Six months later I met him again out on the cut and started the conversation by saying,"Oh, you were the one with brilliant paint job, weren't you?" to which he replied,"Don't talk to me about that!", apparently the job had started to break down and he'd been in a long dispute with the yard concerning how it had been done.

So even the best can cock the job up.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

And in advance, thanks to anyone who has or will reply! I am monitoring the topic. Interestingly, trying to contact these yards is not easy, phones not answered. 

Price is not the issue as we are fortunate in that respect. Also, will accept an "inflation" clause because we know that predicting costs is difficult, but we will not accept being messed around. Nor indeed would we mess a yard about!

1 hour ago, SLC said:

And in advance, thanks to anyone who has or will reply! I am monitoring the topic. Interestingly, trying to contact these yards is not easy, phones not answered. 

Most yards dont have the luxury of a secretary who can answer the phone, a good yard will come back to you next day, or end of day.

Lots of people say to us, I've been trying to ring you for ages     .. did they leave a message, no!!

Most good paint docks are booked up next year already, we already have 2 for 2024.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

Oxon Boat Painting did Jarrah at Brinklow  nearly 12 years ago.  We have been entirely happy with the work.  The red has faded, and the blue is chalking,  but that is not the fault of the painter.  Both will come up when I wax it.

N

26 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

If its only faded have you tried polishing it?

Agree thats definitely well worth a try- We used Farecla three process (A bit like T cut but less harsh, then one finisher  then finally wax . It has probably prolonged the need for a few years. I suspect theres a lot of boaters who go straight to a repaint before trying this.  

• Happy 1

Another vote for Oxon, did a good job on Albion Mills, it was some years ago and they may be busy now or Chris is doing his 'Roses & Castles', more recently they did a good job on a tug style called Cypress.Sounds as if you are close by and might be able to call in....

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

A bit past Northampton and down on the river Nene 

https://tolandlindasboatpainting.co.uk/

Did a fantastic back to bare metal repaint on Loddon in 2020. Still looks excellent 😎

Going back for blacking next year.

He used to do a reasonable job painting boats on the towpath for budget money, you could see how good he was then, even though the weather and trying to do too many boats at the same time probably didnt help him get a showroom finish. Having seen the work coming out of his shed now, can't fault them.

• Greenie 2

On 07/10/2022 at 13:19, SLC said:

Help please!

Our 60 ft semi-trad narrowboat really requires a "full" repaint. We have tried to contact a few yards but they have not responded to our emails which is most disappointing. One that did come back led us up the garden path asking a lot of questions to which we went to a great deal of trouble to answer and then claimed they no longer had capacity and would no longer help. Leaves a bitter taste frankly. Questions were reasonable to protect yard and to identify scope of work but to then pull out....

So, is there a yard that anyone would recommend that can and is able to do a "full" repaint of our 2016 boat which is basically in good condition but where the paintwork has faded near to Dunchurch Pools (Rugby) in the direction of Northampton. This is a genuine enquiry and price is not the issue although obviously we want fair value! We understand that prices may not be fixed given the economic climate but would like to get Moose booked in on good faith.

Hillmorton locks do great work and not far from you at dunchurch. 01788562183

Had Bluemoon repainted nearly five years ago by Pinders, taken back to bare metal and painted in two pack. Basic washing not waxed and it looks like the day it was painted. The red shows no appreciable fading between open to the sun and generally covered by the semi trad stern cover.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for all your support and recommendations. As I type our boat is now with Oxon Boat and we look forward to having her back soon.

Paint was time expired although not too bad it needed some TLC. Polishing was not going to do it as the paint was flaking badly, particularly on the grab rails.

Will update with a picture and again thanks to everyone.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your most helpful comments. Our narrowboat has just come back from Oxon Boat Painting Company and we are absolutely delighted with her. Our challenge now is to use it as we fear damaging the paintwork! We would fully recommend using Oxon Boat Painting Company not only because of the quality of the work but also for the pleasure of working with Chris.
A previous comment suggesting that you may not wish to use a boat painting company if the waiting time is short, while a sensible consideration as part of your due diligence, could be misleading and you could be depriving yourself of the services of a quality painter. Some companies prefer to choose who they work with and are quite selective. Others simply do not want a long waiting list preferring to keep it short and so there is no long-term commitment on either side. Shop around, do your due diligence and do not be too hung up about the waiting time.
A picture to follow once we have her back on the cut!

• Greenie 1