Practical advice for dealing with the heat onboard

DShK

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

There is surely a massive difference between having a quiet sensible dip and having a fest with gangs of mates, alcohol, birds to show off to, tombstoning, drugs etc etc?

And how many of the 10+ water deaths this heatwave have involved that sort of activity?

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Wast Hills was very nice and CRT say if you do 2 MPH you are in there for an hour. I think they buy their calculators in the same shop as their rulers 

DSCF6893 (2).JPG

Maybe they have a very long boat and that’s the bow going in and the stern coming out?

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And how many of the 10+ water deaths this heatwave have involved that sort of activity?

Maybe I shouldn’t have got drawn into petty arguments but I don’t think it’s that dangerous providing sensible precautions are taken

• Haha 1

Went over Kirkstead Bridge (over the Witham near Woodhall Spa) about an hour ago and there were 100's (no exageration) of semi naked bodies on the pontoon jumping into the river, and lounging about on the bank side having parties, BBQs etc.

The thing is the Witham is 80%+ covered in green slimy weed with very little clear water but hey-ho they were having fun.

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Went over Kirkstead Bridge (over the Witham near Woodhall Spa) about an hour ago and there were 100's (no exageration) of semi naked bodies on the pontoon jumping into the river, and lounging about on the bank side having parties, BBQs etc.

The thing is the Witham is 80%+ covered in green slimy weed with very little clear water but hey-ho they were having fun.

For those that do Facebook a bit of Video, cant help the other see it but its people bombing in Facebook

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Could it have been a solid fuel air conditioner? 😀

Never thought of that  - you do get gas fired fridges but I’ve never heard of a wood fired one. Maybe a steam engine but it didn’t go anywhere. Anyway if they were cold yesterday.....

2 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I saw a woodburner fired up on a Narrowboat with all the doors closed at 6pm (35 deg C) last night. Can anyone beat that?

One of our neighbours only has a range to cook on, it's fairly standard to see it alight during the height of summer, he doesn't want gas apparently, I think I would have starved rather than lit it recently 

Years ago my uncle left his gas fag lighter on the passengers seat of his car, in the hot sun. It exploded into fragments with the extra internal pressure due to the heat, no fire, it just burst. During heatwaves I suggest that folk remove any aerosols, like de-icers from there cars, during the summer and store them in a cool place.

Edited by bizzard

38 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

One of our neighbours only has a range to cook on, it's fairly standard to see it alight during the height of summer, he doesn't want gas apparently, I think I would have starved rather than lit it recently 

It pained me to get the oven going even. One of the evenings I just got a camping stove out and cooked outside instead.

57 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Years ago my uncle left his gas fag lighter on the passengers seat of his car, in the hot sun. It exploded into fragments with the extra internal pressure due to the heat, no fire, it just burst. During heatwaves I suggest that folk remove any aerosols, like de-icers from there cars, during the summer and store them in a cool place.

Hmm I will definitely move my aerosol horn into the shade in future. I rarely use it and still have the original aerosol . I do like to have it handy though. I never thought of that I guess half empty will explode as well as when it’s full . Thank you for the tip.

5 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I saw a woodburner fired up on a Narrowboat with all the doors closed at 6pm (35 deg C) last night. Can anyone beat that?

Might just be disposal of paper/cardboard rubbish?

17 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

I know it may be a bit late but how about a trip to screwfix and get a roll of silver foil insulation 25mx1.5 for 75 pounds

it may  be useful in the winter months too

I was thinking of the Army and Navy Stores to get a new jumper

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Of course, @Alan de Enfield will have something to say about that!

Well you asked ..........

"It is unusual for you to do something sensible, or, even something that does not end in a disaster that stops you moving for another 3 months, (presumably you are waiting for the closures before trying to move)".

20 hours ago, bizzard said:

I was a bit nervous when I went into the van to clean it last night wondering what I might find that had exploded or decanted it's contents.  :lol:

Thankfully nothing was amiss, or not that I have found yet anyway, despite it getting up to 39 degrees in there :blink:

19 hours ago, LadyG said:

Of course, @Alan de Enfield will have something to say about that!

Why?

What's wrong with cooking with a camping stove outside?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I was a bit nervous when I went into the van to clean it last night wondering what I might find that had exploded or decanted it's contents.  :lol:

Thankfully nothing was amiss, or not that I have found yet anyway, despite it getting up to 39 degrees in there :blink:

Why?

When our kids were small and one of the times we went to France, we were there in the midst of a heatwave.

It was roasting and we were not even far south just Normandy.

One day I noticed brown streaks appearing down the caravan sides outside.

It was that hot it was actually melting the sealant used to fix the awning rails to the roof edge. We had to get it resealed which Lunar did under warranty.

Its never happened to another caravan since so I presume an inferior product was used.

Candles inside actually melted too.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Why?

Storage.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, I haven't read all the posts- I use portable/rechargeable fans.

They're small enough to fold down fairly small and pack away for the rest of the year, but they have I think 7 inch diameter blades, and they give off a half-decent breeze on maximum setting for about 3 hours. 

On heatwave days I have a fan within 3 feet of me at all times, set to maximum. 

There are always two spare fans recharging, so I'm never without a breeze.

They're great on the very warm nights to set on a low speed and keep the air moving in the bedroom whilst you sleep. 

And at the risk of getting the ladies over-excited, I must confess that I don't wear a shirt indoors on heatwave days.