Gas cylinders - Flo Gas?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are breaking the law carrying a bottle inside a car which is not an open vehicle.  I have no trouble with my boat nose weight but then I am not dragging a tin box around.

Utter BS.

It might not be 'recomended' but its not against the law.

If it is can you please provide a link?

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Presumably along with anybody who buys their new/exchanged gas cylinder at their local garden centre, builders merchant, DIY store etc.

Precisely.

But it isnt actually illeagal anyway.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I do it, it is easily done, and Calor sell a transfer pipe that allows you to do it.

Interesting.

Screenshot_20220713-195131_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Those seem to only  refer to work and employers.  Have you anything which shows it is illegal for the general public to carry a cylinder.  If it is surely Calor dealers would have been told and not allowed you to drive away without at least warning you it was illegal.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No. Please try again.

Screenshot_20220713-195305_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Flogas don’t mind me laying down a 47kg in the back of the Landy…they even help me load it! 

Which is actually contrary to the recommendation as to how they should be carried. They should be transported upright.

And this from a supplier of Calor gas and other bottled gases:

Transporting Gas Cylinders For Domestic Use

If you’re using gas for domestic purposes and transporting the cylinder in a car or van, it is worth noting that you must abide by safety regulations for transporting the product. They must be secured in the vehicle so that they won’t shift if you have to make an emergency stop or another sudden manoeuvre. It’s worth noting that if you don’t have your gas cylinders completely secured in your vehicle and you’re stopped by the police, you will be fined.

Here’s a few top tips for transporting gas cylinders in your vehicle for domestic use:

• Secure your cannister so it doesn’t roll around
  • Keep the cylinder upright
  • If you have a trailer, put the cylinder in that
  • Ensure the cylinder is in an area that is easy to access and inspect
  • Do not leave the cylinder in direct sunlight or a hot car for long periods of time

https://www.adamsgas.co.uk/2020/06/08/how-to-safely-transport-gas/

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are correct.  Yet you cannot carry oxygen and acetylene cylinders  I was told when we had the garages. My error. Bet the Fire Brigades would not like it though!

But LPG is being carried by thousands of people, some vehicles are even powered by the stuff!

(And petrol has pretty explosive potential too).

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Presumably along with anybody who buys their new/exchanged gas cylinder at their local garden centre, builders merchant, DIY store etc.

Not everyone though, motorcaravans would be okay because you could drive it there, swap the gas bottle, then put it into its (compliant) gas locker. I imagine most caravan owners wouldn't tow the caravan to the shops though (and a minority of motorcaravan owners would use a car to go get the gas). 

When I had a motorcaravan, it was invariably done at petrol stations though - so caravan owners have this option, if they don't want to transport a bottle in their car. 

Boat owners.......not so much.

21 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No. Please try again.

Screenshot_20220713-195305_Chrome.jpg

Which is actually contrary to the recommendation as to how they should be carried. They should be transported upright.

Yep it does! Hey ho! They don’t fit upright….and I haven’t blown up yet…there is a small risk of debris blocking the valve but never had an issue. Life’s fatal innit! 

36 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You need to look at how you trim your caravan

All heavy stuff, awning, chairs etc is over the axle,  empty water containers in the rear bathroom toilet flush tank usually half full, hot water tank empty, the only thing down the front is bedding. 

No clothes or food etc carried in the van, fridge contents excepted, they are  all carried in the car.

I could just about leave the second bottle in as with it out its 80kg,  5kg below the limit.

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

All heavy stuff, awning, chairs etc is over the axle,  empty water containers in the rear bathroom toilet flush tank usually half full, hot water tank empty, the only thing down the front is bedding. 

No clothes or food etc carried in the van, fridge contents excepted, they are  all carried in the car.

I could just about leave the second bottle in as with it out its 80kg,  5kg below the limit.

Spare wheel in a carrier behind the axle?

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was suggesting moving it. 

Sorry thought you were asking where it was. 

Might look at that but is it worth doing on a 21year old caravan assuming I can get a carrier. I would then have the problem of getting it out when I get a puncture and the van is up on the jack :(

Edited by Loddon

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Sorry thought you were asking where it was. 

Might look at that but is it worth doing on a 21year old caravan assuming I can get a carrier. I would then have the problem of getting it out when I get a puncture and the van is up on the jack :(

That can ineed be an issue. But if you have Caravan Club Mayday cover that's somebody elses problem. But if Calor only leave 6kg as an option you will need to come up with a solution of some sorts.

Anyway we better shut up as well be accused of turning this into Caravantalk.co.uk...

Ok

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Anyway we better shut up as well be accused of turning this into Caravantalk.co.uk...

It does amuse me when you see a Wobblebox flat packed at the side of the road….one less of the horrible things….

11 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We have a caravan as well-shock horror!!

Our friends refer to it as a "land boat."

It has even been allowed in at Wigram's Turn Marina. 😁

DSCF2417.JPG

Edited by Ray T

Just now, frangar said:

It does amuse me when you see a Wobblebox flat packed at the side of the road.

Im sure it does.

Just now, Ray T said:

We have a caravan as well-shock horror!!

Our friends refer to it as a "land boat."

There are a good few on here. Motorhomers too.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

More shock news, Calor want to phase out the 13kg propane and 15kg butane bottles as well. Learnt today from a hire base and retailer.

Do you have a link to this information.  I cannot find any info at all about this in fact Calor are still actively advertising the benefits of the 13kg cylinders.

Edited by reg

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

I think Flo gas use a different outlet on the cylinder, but that should not be a huge problem. Just need to get the right regulator fitting. After that it is just the same a Calor.   They offer Butane as well as Propane  but, with the right regulator, you stove will burn either.  No adjustments required, the different pressures for Butane and Propane sort it out.  Butane sets when cold, Propane doesn't. 

Flo gas used to provide the DBA ,The Barge Association gas scheme.  I think it worked like this:  You join, then order on the website  or by phone giving location. Flo gas will deliver from their nearest outlet at a good price when you order.  It may have ceased in the current shortage.

N

I have one of each. Flogas is delivered for a fiver to anywhere, Calor I get from marinas. I bought a wheel type controller and I think it works n both.

26 minutes ago, reg said:

Do you have a link to this information.  I cannot find any info at all about this in fact Calor are still actively advertising the benefits of the 13kg cylinders.

The info was in confidence by word of mouth from a reputable source so I cannot violate that confidence. Looking at the pros and cons for Calor I can see a lot of good reasons why they would be considering this. There was a shortage of bottles of all sizes last winter, they are manufactured in China I think, and if they could rationalise on the sizes, say 47kg, 19kg and 6kg it would make sense. Remember that the BBQ bottles already sell at a premium price compared to the orange ones.

Yes I can see how that makes good business sense for Calor. They've obviously been taking customer care lessons from BOC....

I think Alan de E is right lots of folk will fill from larger bottles or start filling with auto gas.