Gas cylinders - Flo Gas?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Juno has a new propane cooker - because the old one was butane and was taken out years ago I don't have a gas cylinder, and the locker only takes dinky 3.9kg anyway which means I'm bottom of the list from Calor as apparently the prioritise the biggest cylinders first and are very resistant to selling to customer with no cylinder - the boatyard have ordered some but are pessimistic about when, or even if, they'll get any - there is another boat on the moorings that uses them but the yard have none in stock. 

I'm aware Flo Gas also sell this size - as I don't live on the boat and can pick up cylinders anywhere is this a viable way forward? 

Ta very much for any thoughts

(Photo of new cooker as \i know someone will ask...)

289348269_5662230583807698_6268422939332443205_n.jpg

I think Flo gas use a different outlet on the cylinder, but that should not be a huge problem. Just need to get the right regulator fitting. After that it is just the same a Calor.   They offer Butane as well as Propane  but, with the right regulator, you stove will burn either.  No adjustments required, the different pressures for Butane and Propane sort it out.  Butane sets when cold, Propane doesn't. 

Flo gas used to provide the DBA ,The Barge Association gas scheme.  I think it worked like this:  You join, then order on the website  or by phone giving location. Flo gas will deliver from their nearest outlet at a good price when you order.  It may have ceased in the current shortage.

N

A few years ago I exchanged a Calor Gas cylinder, at a boat yard, for a Flogas one, no questions asked. I found there to be far less Flogas suppliers than Calor.

Calor retailers wouldn't accept the empty Flogas cylinder. I eventually took it to a Flogas depot and they refused me any deposit because I didn't have an original receipt!

I personally would advise keeping clear of Flogas.

Edited by Ray T

19 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I eventually took it to a Flogas depot and they refused me any deposit because I didn't have an original receipt!

I personally would advise keeping clear of Flogas.

Maybe that's a bit harsh on Flogas. Even Calor have a returns policy requiring a refill agreement if you want a refund, and even with one, the statement below from their website indicates that Calor won't give you all of your deposit back.

"If you have your Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork you will receive a 25-70% refund of the original CRA cost depending on how many years ago you purchased the gas bottle."

Flogas dont....or at least didnt...have any cylinder rental agreement....you just pay for the gas and the cylinder is on a free loan. I use them for the 47kg cylinders at my unit that I use for space heating....they were cheaper than Calor and as I said no hire charge. They have a few direct depots you can collect from and various stockists like garages and garden centres....the stockists can charge more than list price though...like Calor.

As far as Im aware all the Propane cylinders take the same fitting as the Calor cylinders with the left hand thread etc.

Ive been quite happy with them....my only complaint is they can never give me a day when they will deliver...delivery is free...which means Ive either got to wait and the unit or drive to my not so local depot to collect. Also being a business we got a small discount off the list price despite only using about 1 47kg cylinder a year.

1 minute ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

According to our Calor rep. on his last visit, Calor are phasing out the 3.9/4.5kg cylinder in the next few years.

Well that’s going rather annoy a lot of builders who use them for small roofing & plumbing jobs  not to mention those with motor homes & caravans that have lockers that fit them…..but calor never did care for it’s customers! 

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

More shock news, Calor want to phase out the 13kg propane and 15kg butane bottles as well. Learnt today from a hire base and retailer.

Considering that’s their most poplar size in both it’s either the rumour mill running well or calor have lost the plot totally. 

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

|Yeah, just go for Calor, it will save a LOT of hassle in the long run. And also, you're stunted by that small bottle - why? Gas locker too small? Can it be made bigger to accommodate the common size?

The gas locker is the box with no cushion on it - it's not very big

20220713_190310.jpg

According to the rep, they've also just invested in 90,000 new 6kg cylinders. He didn't mention 13kg, but then again he could perhaps see I was cross enough about the 3.9 being phased out,

To be fair, for cooking 6kgs are adequate and easier to handle, but no 13kgs would be the end of gas c/h on boats. Flogas are only 11kg, and so three of those equal only 2.5 Calor 13kgs, which isn't enough for an Alde on a cold week on a hire boat (i.e. boiler flat out and cabin doors wide open both ends..)

Cost-wise I don't even want to think about running an Alde on 6kgs, never mind the small issue of the max. evaporation rate.

14 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

According to our Calor rep. on his last visit, Calor are phasing out the 3.9/4.5kg cylinder in the next few years.

In which case I might be better off going with Flo Gas?

Like I say collection isn't a problem - I don't need canal side

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

Well that’s going rather annoy a lot of builders who use them for small roofing & plumbing jobs  not to mention those with motor homes & caravans that have lockers that fit them…..but calor never did care for it’s customers! 

Most motorhomers and caravaners use 6kg bottles. Our locker could take two if we wanted. Every caravan we have ever had since Adam was a lad was capable of accomodating at least one 6kg cylinder most could take two.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Most motorhomers and caravaners use 6kg bottles. Our locker could take two if we wanted. Every caravan we have ever had since Adam was a lad was capable of accomodating at least one 6kg cylinder most could take two.

But very few could accommodate 13kg bottles,  what does that tell you about Calor's target market?

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

But very few could accommodate 13kg bottles,  what does that tell you about Calor's target market?

I wouldnt want to use 13kg in our caravan. It would have too negative an impact on nose weight.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I wouldnt want to use 13kg in our caravan. It would have too negative an impact on nose weight.

I was not suggesting you would. But if Calor see the motorhome/caravan market as being more lucrative than the boat market do you see why they would want to get rid of the 13kg bottle? There is also the easier handling question for their wimpy delivery drivers and retailers, a full 13kg bottle weighs in at over the 25kg handling limit for Health & Safety, the butane 15kg is even worse.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

That's going to be a pain for thousands of caravan owners 

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I was not suggesting you would. But if Calor see the motorhome/caravan market as being more lucrative than the boat market do you see why they would want to get rid of the 13kg bottle? There is also the easier handling question for their wimpy delivery drivers and retailers, a full 13kg bottle weighs in at over the 25kg handling limit for Health & Safety, the butane 15kg is even worse.

I wasnt actually making any comment about their business decisions just responding to a comment about use of small cylinders by caravan and motorhomers.

But as someone who used to hate dragging those 13kg bottles out the bow locker are 6gk bottles not in at least one way better?

Ok not as cost effective and would need changing more often but useable by boaters?

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

That's going to be a pain for thousands of caravan owners 

Is it? How many still use those smaller cylinders?

I cant recall the last time we did.

All recent caravans take 6kg, two even.

18 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I wouldn't want to use 13kg in our caravan. It would have too negative an impact on nose weight.

I have two 3.9 in my van but move one into the car when towing. If I have to change to 6kg that will mean both in the car or ditch the spare wheel.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

How many still use those smaller cylinders?

I do to keep the nose weight down.  

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I wasnt actually making any comment about their business decisions just responding to a comment about use of small cylinders by caravan and motorhomers.

But as someone who used to hate dragging those 13kg bottles out the bow locker are 6gk bottles not in at least one way better?

Ok not as cost effective and would need changing more often but useable by boaters?

Compare the prices charged for the gas in 13kg  and 6kg bottles. I will stay with 13kg thank you rather than get ripped off again by Calor. In fact I will start refilling from 47kg Flo-gas bottles if and when the 13kg bottle disappears.

I have two 3.9 in my van but move one into the car when towing. If I have to change to 6kg that will mean both in the car or ditch the spare wheel.

You need to look at how you trim your caravan.

I can carry a 6kg and the wheel and still keep the noseweight with the limit of the car.

If the cylinder is getting low I lob another 6kg in the boot.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Compare the prices charged for the gas in 13kg  and 6kg bottles. I will stay with 13kg thank you rather than get ripped off again by Calor. In fact I will start refilling from 47kg Flo-gas bottles if and when the 13kg bottle disappears.

Good luck with that.

I do to keep the nose weight down.  

You are breaking the law carrying a bottle inside a car which is not an open vehicle.  I have no trouble with my boat nose weight but then I am not dragging a tin box around.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are breaking the law carrying a bottle inside a car which is not an open vehicle. 

Presumably along with anybody who buys their new/exchanged gas cylinder at their local garden centre, builders merchant, DIY store etc.

50 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

More shock news, Calor want to phase out the 13kg propane and 15kg butane bottles as well. Learnt today from a hire base and retailer.

Which will presumably drive boat owners towards using refillable cylinders of about the same size instead.

• Greenie 1