Any CC'ers on the Brecon-Monmouth canal?

LB1982

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Have you thought how you are going to "satisfy the Board" (CRT) that you can comply with the requirements for boats without a home mooring on a waterway which is only 34 miles long?

Hiya

Well this is why I wanted to ask tjr question because I've heard varying reports with some saying you can satisfy requirements, and others saying its not possible. So I wanted to hear from anyone who is either doing it, or tried and found it impossible

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are several posts about that on here all ready. Have you got your CRT licence yet

I assumed there would be but I've searched and searched and got no where. 

Not yet..  in the madness of selling my house and viewing boats but its high on the priority list! 

1 minute ago, LB1982 said:

Hiya

Well this is why I wanted to ask tjr question because I've heard varying reports with some saying you can satisfy requirements, and others saying its not possible. So I wanted to hear from anyone who is either doing it, or tried and found it impossible

It maybe as well to ask the Canal and River Trust as they set the rules and issue the licence.  Then you have the definitive answer.

3 minutes ago, LB1982 said:

Well this is why I wanted to ask tjr question because I've heard varying reports with some saying you can satisfy requirements, and others saying its not possible.

So instead of finding out what some bods on the Internet think, why not ask CRT? They are the ones you have to satisfy.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So instead of finding out what some bods on the Internet think, why not ask CRT? They are the ones you have to satisfy.

I think I know what their answer will be!!

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It maybe as well to ask the Canal and River Trust as they set the rules and issue the licence.  Then you have the definitive answer.

Have you ever spoken to CRT and got a correct and straight answer on any boat or boating issue ? 😀

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes.

Well, yes, so have I, but I have also got information that is very wrong, and sometimes conflicting information from different CRT people.

So who can the OP ask? How will he know the answer is correct? and as we all know CRT can not legally answer the question about CCing and distance.

The best they can say is "that distance is unlikely to satisfy the board"  or  "that distance should be ok if done correctly, but might not be in the future"

3 hours ago, LB1982 said:

Hiya

Am buying my first boat in 2 weeks and was looking at basing myself on the brec-mon canal as a CCer.  Just wondering if there's anyone on here that does the same and has any advice, tips or just wants to say hello 

Any particular reason you want to stay on a canal that’s not linked to the rest of the system?

Just asking.

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Well, yes, so have I, but I have also got information that is very wrong, and sometimes conflicting information from different CRT people.

So who can the OP ask? How will he know the answer is correct? and as we all know CRT can not legally answer the question about CCing and distance.

The best they can say is "that distance is unlikely to satisfy the board"  or  "that distance should be ok if done correctly, but might not be in the future"

Which region does it come under?

Wales and South West I guess, that’d be my start point, head office there, if they have one. 

43 minutes ago, dmr said:

For starters, how about asking the CRT licencing department since they are the ones who will (or won't) issue a licence. And since the onus is on the applicant to satisfy the Board, and not the other way round, the OP should be prepared to demonstrate how his proposed cruising pattern complies with the CCing guidance that CRT have published. 

I think that ordinarily CC applicants are reminded of their obligations, but given the benefit of the doubt unless their cruising pattern gives rise to concern. But on a short isolated waterway like the Mon and Brec, I can see CRT being more proactive and wanting to understand the proposed pattern of use beforehand (if they don't issue a flat refusal).

23 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Without being able to find any singling out of this canal, the general rules shouldn't be any different from usual. There is no need of a home mooring, and BSS plus insurance are needed.  

Indeed. But many would argue that a length of 34 miles is too short to be able to comply with the CC guidance, whereas as the same is not the case for a boat on the main connected system.

That said, as a CCer you don't declare a home mooring, so there doesn't seem to be anything to stop anyone with a licence and no home mooring from simply craning their boat into the Mon and Brec.

Edited by David Mack

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Indeed. But many would argue that a length of 34 miles is to short to be able to comply with the CC guidance, whereas as the same is not the case for a boat on the main connected system.

That said, as a CCer you don't declare a home mooring, so there doesn't seem to be anything to stop anyone with a licence and no home mooring from simply craning their boat into the Mon and Brec.

I would say that the short length of the canal is no fault of the boater. This particular canal may not suit some boaters' idea of a good range, and probably wouldn't choose to be craned in. Some people may choose to keep their ranges limited, even on the main system. 

47 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Without being able to find any singling out of this canal, the general rules shouldn't be any different from usual. There is no need of a home mooring, and BSS plus insurance are needed.  

Does the Mon and Breck require a standard CRT licence being an isolated waterway? Genuine question because I don't know

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Does the Mon and Breck require a standard CRT licence being an isolated waterway? Genuine question because I don't know

I think boats with a home mooring get a discounted licence fee on disconnected canals. 

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

You and me both. But I did try to find something that might set it apart from the general run of things. I haven't found anything, but I may have missed something. 

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

You and me both. But I did try to find something that might set it apart from the general run of things. I haven't found anything, but I may have missed something. 

Section 5 under schedule 2 here https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/original/43943-general-terms-and-conditions-for-boat-licenses-june-2021-searchable-file.pdf