Any CC'ers on the Brecon-Monmouth canal?

LB1982

Featured Posts

Given that CRT happily issue many River-only licences to cc'rs on the Lee & Stort (so no right to enter any other connected CRT waterway or transit one to reach another) and that's 40miles total length, only 5more than the M&B, I don't see that they'll be able to not issue one and complain about lack of progress as long as the full length is traversed - it is after all nearly doulble the distance CRT have stated will start to cause range concerns...

But, as with many others, I have received conflicting, incorrect and downright dangerous advice from CRT recently.  So, get it in writing, and compare notes with others in similar positions before accepting what they say.

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

I would say that the short length of the canal is no fault of the boater. This particular canal may not suit some boaters' idea of a good range, and probably wouldn't choose to be craned in. Some people may choose to keep their ranges limited, even on the main system. 

I would say after a very quick glance at a map, there might be enough places to stop over to take best part of 6 months getting from one end to the other.

I’ve a friend on the Mac who’s never been down either flight in 5 years. 
Not for me but I can see how it’s done. 

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

If below is the section you highlight, it refers to the standard restriction of a home moorer, away from the home mooring. And nothing particularly on the canal being discussed. 

5.2. Whilst travelling Our Waterways when away from Your Home Mooring, You may only moor for periods of up to 14 days, or less where a local restriction applies

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

If below is the section you highlight, it refers to the standard restriction of a home moorer, away from the home mooring. And nothing particularly on the canal being discussed. 

5.2. Whilst travelling Our Waterways when away from Your Home Mooring, You may only moor for periods of up to 14 days, or less where a local restriction applies

No. I was referring to point 5 in schedule 2 at the end of the document. 

Fee Discounts 
5. Subject to Condition 6 in this schedule, the following discounts may be applied to Your Licence 
Fee:
Description and conditions
Disconnected Waterways 25% discount if the Boat has a long term mooring, and will remain 
exclusively on one of the following Waterways: Bridgwater & Taunton;
Monmouth & Brecon; stretches of the Montgomery Canal not connected 
to the main network; River Tees

Just now, Ianws said:

No. I was referring to point 5 in schedule 2 at the end of the document. 

Fee Discounts 
5. Subject to Condition 6 in this schedule, the following discounts may be applied to Your Licence 
Fee:
Description and conditions
Disconnected Waterways 25% discount if the Boat has a long term mooring, and will remain 
exclusively on one of the following Waterways: Bridgwater & Taunton;
Monmouth & Brecon; stretches of the Montgomery Canal not connected 
to the main network; River Tees

Ok, sorry. There's a bonus for those on a stranded system. Can't be bad. 

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It maybe as well to ask the Canal and River Trust as they set the rules and issue the licence.  Then you have the definitive answer.

Yep I'm inclined to agree.. I'll contact them and see how far I get ... although it looks like the advice from CRT may be quite variable. Will find out

• Happy 1

Just now, Goliath said:

Good news

Make sure you get it in writing 👍

Yep they sent me an email this morning.. it was far more pleasantly written than I'd expected. Their words "you can absolutely meet the requirements on this canal" 

So thats from the horses mouth 🙂

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Nice one.

You going to live aboard?

Narrowboat or cruiser?

Yep live aboard full time. Going to view a boat this weekend and the lady is letting us stay on it to get a feel for the place. It'll be me, my daughter (4) dog and cat.. and might get another dog lol. I won't go straight to that canal as want to experience CCing in all its glory first but I think we'll head that way after a year or 2 as its just so lovely and peaceful. But I want to check out the north/mid Wales canals too which may be where we base ourselves.. kind of. Where abouts are you? 

11 minutes ago, LB1982 said:

Yep they sent me an email this morning.. it was far more pleasantly written than I'd expected. Their words "you can absolutely meet the requirements on this canal" 

So thats from the horses mouth 🙂

Good for you.  That should annoy some folk on this forum.  I'm not surprised though.  34 miles is more than the minimum range they used to quote.  The important thing is your cruising pattern.  Make sure you move every 14 days or less, and a couple of miles or more.  Go from one end to the other before turning round (unless you need to double back for water/elsan/bins).

Enjoy yourself and let us know how it goes.  It's a beautiful part of the country.

19 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Good for you.  That should annoy some folk on this forum.  I'm not surprised though.  34 miles is more than the minimum range they used to quote.  The important thing is your cruising pattern.  Make sure you move every 14 days or less, and a couple of miles or more.  Go from one end to the other before turning round (unless you need to double back for water/elsan/bins).

Enjoy yourself and let us know how it goes.  It's a beautiful part of the country.

Thank you for this!!! Once we've done some travelling I think we'll head this way for a nice 35 annual trip up and down lol

Not for everyone but could be good for us 😀

10 minutes ago, LB1982 said:

Yep live aboard full time. Going to view a boat this weekend and the lady is letting us stay on it to get a feel for the place. It'll be me, my daughter (4) dog and cat.. and might get another dog lol. I won't go straight to that canal as want to experience CCing in all its glory first but I think we'll head that way after a year or 2 as its just so lovely and peaceful. But I want to check out the north/mid Wales canals too which may be where we base ourselves.. kind of. Where abouts are you? 

Sounds like you have a good plan.
And will have your hands full 😃
Lovely idea to stay over in a boat to get the feel. 
I’m sure you know what to ask but make sure you have a nose around the engine. Make sure it runs! Or you won’t get anywhere. 

Currently on the Coventry Canal. 
Always difficult for me to stick to a plan when boating because it’s so easy to have a change of mind. 
But my plan is to take it easy over the summer and stick around this side of the Midlands. Plenty of places. Ashby is nice. Birmingham and Fazely too. 
Bits of the Oxford. Up and down the Trent and Mersey 🤷‍♀️  
Plenty to occupy myself with. 
And remind me how easy boating can be after being up North for a few years. 
Winter could be anywhere, maybe the Llangollen again. I like Ellesmere. 

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Sounds like you have a good plan.
And will have your hands full 😃
Lovely idea to stay over in a boat to get the feel. 
I’m sure you know what to ask but make sure you have a nose around the engine. Make sure it runs! Or you won’t get anywhere. 

Currently on the Coventry Canal. 
Always difficult for me to stick to a plan when boating because it’s so easy to have a change of mind. 
But my plan is to take it easy over the summer and stick around this side of the Midlands. Plenty of places. Ashby is nice. Birmingham and Fazely too. 
Bits of the Oxford. Up and down the Trent and Mersey 🤷‍♀️  
Plenty to occupy myself with. 
And remind me how easy boating can be after being up North for a few years. 
Winter could be anywhere, maybe the Llangollen again. I like Ellesmere. 

Well I let myself down on being able to make appropriate checks on a boat as I really don't know what I'm looking at.. but ill get a survey and then ask my engineer friend to translate it for me.. thats the plan! 

Ahh I'm really looking forward to a life where plans can change..  instead of this mundane rat rigid nonsense I'm.stuck in now! Going to be a busy few weeks getting the house sold but so worth it. The boat I'm viewing is at Leamington spa so not too far. We may cross paths as I head over to North Wales..  or will I head south.. who knows but thats the point 😀

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, LB1982 said:

Thank you for this!!! Once we've done some travelling I think we'll head this way for a nice 35 annual trip up and down lol

Not for everyone but could be good for us 😀

You'll love it. 

For the forum's info, I'm currently on the Gloucester & Sharpness.  It's 16 miles long.  I've been here a couple of weeks so far and have met a few continuous cruisers who never leave this canal.  Now that's pushing it a bit, but I'll bet CRT are looking closely at their cruising patterns and only cracking down on those who don't move on every two weeks.

And yet I was criticised recently on this forum for 'only' having a cruising range of around 170 miles.  Apparently that makes me a continuous moorer!

22 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You'll love it. 

For the forum's info, I'm currently on the Gloucester & Sharpness.  It's 16 miles long.  I've been here a couple of weeks so far and have met a few continuous cruisers who never leave this canal.  Now that's pushing it a bit, but I'll bet CRT are looking closely at their cruising patterns and only cracking down on those who don't move on every two weeks.

And yet I was criticised recently on this forum for 'only' having a cruising range of around 170 miles.  Apparently that makes me a continuous moorer!

This made me laugh..people do like to grumble don't they 🤣🤣 

If I become a "continuous moorer" then so be it.. I'd like to see how many of them would manage CCing all over the country as a single parent to a 4 year old haha 

Just gotta do what works for us! 

Ooh the boat I'm hoping to buy is near that canal so I'll have a look at this beautiful 15 miles 😍 

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

You'll love it. 

Funny the ones I met when down there were complaining about having to go out on that nasty big river and thought CRT unreasonable making them do such a dangerous thing

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Funny the ones I met when down there were complaining about having to go out on that nasty big river and thought CRT unreasonable making them do such a dangerous thing

Funny old world isn't it .......................

Yes you can CC on the G&S no problem.

Headline news

C&RT take enforcemet action against G&S  CCboaters for insufficient movement - boater complains to Ombudsnan, Ombudsman dismisses boaters appeal.

Summary finding  (full report attached)

Having considered all aspects of the complaint, I did not uphold it. The complainants said that they had a widebeam boat and that it was difficult to find permanent moorings, but I could not regard that as a reason for the Trust to disapply its continuous cruising guidance.

CC Case Appeal Lost G&S Canal.docx

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Funny old world isn't it .......................

Yes you can CC on the G&S no problem.

Headline news

C&RT take enforcemet action against G&S  CCboaters for insufficient movement - boater complains to Ombudsnan, Ombudsman dismisses boaters appeal.

Summary finding  (full report attached)

Having considered all aspects of the complaint, I did not uphold it. The complainants said that they had a widebeam boat and that it was difficult to find permanent moorings, but I could not regard that as a reason for the Trust to disapply its continuous cruising guidance.

CC Case Appeal Lost G&S Canal.docx 30.69 kB · 0 downloads

That sounds just like the ones I heard winging to their friends in Gloucester Lock

38 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That sounds just like the ones I heard winging to their friends in Gloucester Lock

Peoples perception of CCing often seem at odds with C&RTs view.

It doesn't matter how often you say I'm CCing and covering 20 miles a year, If C&RT are not 'satisfied' then its their 'bat and ball' and they get to take you off the water.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It doesn't matter how often you say I'm CCing and covering 20 miles a year,

That's the bit that gets misunderstood the most.

CRT actually said "a range of less than 20 miles will not satisfy us" and all the usual chancers immediately decided that 20 miles and an inch was enough. 

Still quite difficult to achieve by staying on a 16 mile canal though!