Southall’s Grand Union Canal to be transformed into ‘Wellbeing Way.'

Ray T

Featured Posts

CRT PRESS RELEASE

25th March 2022 

Southall’s Grand Union Canal to be transformed into ‘Wellbeing Way’

Project receives £700,000 from Mayor’s Green & Resilient Spaces Fund

The Grand Union Canal and a chain of nearby green spaces in Southall are set to host a new Wellbeing Way, supported by Green and Resilient Spaces funding of £700,000 announced today by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Kahn.

Waterways and wellbeing charity Canal & River Trust, Ealing Council, housing association Catalyst, and Ealing Council’s Sport England funded Let’s Go Southall project, are working together to transform the canal towpaths and surrounding green spaces in Southall. The improvements will provide opportunities for Southall’s community and visitors to lead more active lives and boost their wellbeing, while enhancing the biodiversity and climate resilience of the area.

The Southall Grand Union Canal Wellbeing Way is a green corridor that wraps around Southall, allowing local people to step away from the urban streets and connect with nature. The funding will be used to integrate the canal with nearby green spaces and to carry out a series of enrichments, including waterside place-making, creating new habitats for wildlife, works to the towpath to improve the surface and allow better access to the canal, play and interpretation, flood resilience, and gardening and stewardship to allow nature and people to thrive.

This exciting project will be co-designed by members of the Southall community, some of whom have already been involved in shaping the plans for the Wellbeing Way. Active volunteering participation will be encouraged in the creation and onwards nurturing of these special spaces.

Ros Daniels, regional director for Canal & River Trust, said, “Spending time by the water makes people healthier and happier, and the Southall Grand Union Canal Wellbeing Way is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference to the wellbeing of the local community. Each green and blue place will provide a unique point of interest and opportunity for people to get to know, love and care for their canal and its surrounding spaces, through exploring, exercising, enjoying quality time with friends and family, getting involved in cultural activities, and creating and caring for gardens and wildlife habitat.

“Since the start of the pandemic, people have gravitated towards their local canal towpaths and green spaces and discovered the wellbeing benefits of being by water and connecting with nature. We know how important the canal and green spaces are for people in Southall to take a breath, take time out and spend time with others, as well as being active and outside. The new towpath will provide more space for everybody and have a better surface so the canal can be enjoyed in all weathers.”

Councillor Deirdre Costigan, Ealing Council cabinet member for climate action said: “This is a wonderful opportunity to transform and improve areas around the canal, providing spaces for local residents to enjoy. Open spaces are so important for health and wellbeing, and combining those open spaces with waterways can only be more beneficial.

“I’m really pleased that local residents have already been involved in the ideas stage of the Wellbeing Way and know there will be no shortage in volunteers going forward to come and take part in the development and ongoing nurturing of these spaces.”

Nicola Wheeler, Catalyst’s head of community investment, added: “The health and wellbeing benefits of being in touch with nature are immeasurable, particularly for children. So, after being part of a series of smaller improvement schemes in the area over the past few years, we are delighted to join forces with our partners on this large-scale effort to make the canal and nearby green spaces more accessible and enjoyable to visit. We all share a desire to help local communities thrive, while protecting the environment for future generations.”

The project will draw a green and blue thread connecting Spikes Bridge Park on the Grand Union Canal Paddington Arm in the northwest of Southall via the Bull’s Bridge canal junction through to Glade Lane Canalside Park and the Hanwell Lock Flight, linking Bankside, Southall Recreation Ground, Bixley Field and Havelock Canalside space on the way. The project will take place between 2022 and 2024 and develop a legacy of wellbeing activities for the Southall community.

To find out more or get involved with keeping Southall’s canal towpaths happy and healthy:

For more information on the Canal & River Trust and how to volunteer or donate money to support the charity’s work please visit www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

ENDS

Fran Read (she/her)

National press officer

I work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

M  07796 610 427

E  fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

17 hours ago, Ray T said:

The project will draw a green and blue thread connecting Spikes Bridge Park on the Grand Union Canal Paddington Arm in the northwest of Southall via the Bull’s Bridge canal junction through to Glade Lane Canalside Park and the Hanwell Lock Flight, linking Bankside, Southall Recreation Ground, Bixley Field and Havelock Canalside space on the way. The project will take place between 2022 and 2024 and develop a legacy of wellbeing activities for the Southall community.

At the moment the land adjoining the path which crosses the canal over Spikes Bridge is used as a dumping ground for rubbish and a place for druggies to do their thing. Surely the Wellbeing Charity is not going to deprive locals of these popular facilities.

Tam

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

I look forward to more canals being named after ailments and cures. Perhaps the pubs too, The Gout Union,  the Soar Ankle, with stops at the crutch and splint, 

I write this from my bed with a nasty dose of covid - that's the bed on my boat, and I can confirm it's as good a place to be as any. 

Years ago there was a geyser who had a coal boat in that area. Forgotten his name but I think it was a Jewish name. Mid or late 90s. Nice bloke and nice boat. One day he was traveling through Southall and someone dumped a bin liner of rubbish directly onto his boat. His response was to stop under the bridge (the one by the pub and the large green area by a winding hole) and manually return the bag to its owner. 

Good on him. 

I've been through there more times than I would like to have done and hopefully will never again be anywhere near the area as it is an awful bin. 

Interesting to see if it can be made nicer. There will be a lot of work to be done I feel. 

• Greenie 1

I remember the previous attempts.

motorcycle racing on the towing path

alcohol consumption and its after effects

bin bag hurling

dog poo distribution

boat owner abuse.

Arson

Target practice both rock and fire arm.

mass maggot drowning followed by tin can and plastic bag planting.

Dervish dancing ( chemically assisted)

Aboriginal decoration of bridges, walls with third reich art.

Trust these time honoured traditions of the 1980s will be incorporated.

Won’t be attending.

"I'm saying nothing on this."

Writes Loddon and others are more vocal, but as to well being may be the CRT needs a new approach and to bypass "well being" which now an old theme, with some thing that DOES mention boats. They ARE responsible for a NAVIGATION and not a non navigable river after all.

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

as to well being may be the CRT needs a new approach and to bypass "well being" which now an old theme, with some thing that DOES mention boats. They ARE responsible for a NAVIGATION and not a non navigable river after all.

Sounds reasonable as long as the 35,000 boats provide an extra £50,000,000 annual funding.

I'm sure we'd all be happy to pay an extra £1,500 per year if CRT don't use the word "wellbeing" anymore ...

... or maybe not!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sounds reasonable as long as the 35,000 boats provide an extra £50,000,000 annual funding.

I'm sure we'd all be happy to pay an extra £1,500 per year if CRT don't use the word "wellbeing" anymore ...

... or maybe not!

I'd be happy to pay £3k a year licence if it meant boaters came first rather than last in the queue for the maintenance spending.

• Greenie 1