Tunnel light bracket

RickS

Featured Posts

I have a new cratch board, and a new tunnel light (not LED). The bolt on the light mounting is quite short and wouldn't be long enough to get through the cratch board.

I don't really want to mount the thing on a bog standard right-angle bracket which then screws on the cratch board, but can't think of anything else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit: added picture of light

Wipac Tunnel light.jpg

Edited by RickS

8Buy a longer bolt for the mounting bracket?

A shiny, highly polished custom made brass bracket?

Fit a wall mounted tap bracket on the deck board and modify the light mounting bolt to screw into the tap bracket?

Adapt one of those heart shaped foot steps to take the mounting bolt and screw the footstep to the deck board.

Buy another lamp that fits without mods?

Avoid tunnels that need a light?

N

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A picture of the light might help some one to spark a bright idea.

Thanks Jen, good point. I have added a picture above

7 minutes ago, BEngo said:

8Buy a longer bolt for the mounting bracket?

A shiny, highly polished custom made brass bracket?

Fit a wall mounted tap bracket on the deck board and modify the light mounting bolt to screw into the tap bracket?

Adapt one of those heart shaped foot steps to take the mounting bolt and screw the footstep to the deck board.

Buy another lamp that fits without mods?

Avoid tunnels that need a light?

N

Did think of a longer bolt, but it's quite thick and would seem possible overkill to drill such a big hole in the board.

tap bracket ?  heart-shaped foot steps ?  Not following I'm afraid

Certainly not buying another light - where I am moored, tunnels are, sooner or later an inevitability. Nice suggestions 🙂

That lamp is designed to be supported from below. Does the U-shaped bracket fold back 90 degrees, and if so does it extend back beyond the back of the light? If you need a spacer in there then you can use the existing bolt to fix the bracket to the spacer and then use separate bolts or screws to attach the spacer to the deck board.

If you mount it right way up to a Cratch board you wont be able to tilt it upwards so I would mount it upside down so you can tilt it forwards and so upwards.

Could use a plate extending from top of the cratch then with a dome nut or similar.

And save you getting moaned at in tunnels too..

Looks like the Wipac classic driving lamp from the photo. I have the same one.

I considered mounting the lamp upside down as suggested, but feared that would compromise its watertightness. As you know, this lamp as delivered needs you to modify the negative connection so it doesn't connect to the lamp body, as these are car lamps. Squeezing two wires out the tiny rubber feedthrough intended for one wire compromises the sealing enough as it is.

I'd go with the custom-made bracket suggestion. Something in 5mm steel, black powder coated or painted. I used a surplus bracket which was included for mounting my multifuel stove, hacksawed a couple of flaps off, bent and drilled it. It's a boring angle bracket in fact, but painted to stay in the background. Also has space for when I get around to mounting a horn!

Edited by Puffling
autocorrect grammar

16 hours ago, RickS said:

tap bracket ?  heart-shaped foot steps ?  Not following I'm afraid

Tap bracket.  Technically known as a a wall plate elbow.   The thing that is screwed to the wall to mount an outside tap.

Heart shaped foot step.  Sold by Aquafax.  Called a brass heart shaped toe step or similar.  It comes up on a google.

N

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

Tap bracket.  Technically known as a a wall plate elbow.   The thing that is screwed to the wall to mount an outside tap.

Heart shaped foot step.  Sold by Aquafax.  Called a brass heart shaped toe step or similar.  It comes up on a google.

N

image.png.65897a21a6fd687e93a95bc4d2b7bd80.png

I made a lamp bracket from two B & Q alloy book shelf brackets. It has been made to take two types of lamp,

A traditional fog type lamp and a masthead lamp.

No comments on the navigation lights please, this has been done to death!

B & Q appear to no longer produce these.

DSCF1402.JPG

DSCF4812.jpg

ETA found similar :

See the source image

Amazon.com: Aluminum Alloy Metal Shelf Bracket, 90 Degree Angle Decorative Corner Brace, Wall Hanging Bookshelf with Screws : Tools & Home Improvement

Edited by Ray T

Depending on the material/timber, you could drill and tap a thread into the wood then screw the thread in. I've done so before without any problems, some varnish applied inside the hole would help seal softer wood.

On 04/02/2022 at 17:37, Alan de Enfield said:

Just replace the bolt with a longer one.

Thanks Alan. Thinking about it some more I'm not sure that will work unless I mount it on the top, which I don't want to do. Mounting on the front with a longer bolt will mean it wont have a lot of tilt - I think

On 04/02/2022 at 18:03, David Mack said:

That lamp is designed to be supported from below. Does the U-shaped bracket fold back 90 degrees, and if so does it extend back beyond the back of the light? If you need a spacer in there then you can use the existing bolt to fix the bracket to the spacer and then use separate bolts or screws to attach the spacer to the deck board.

I think I am getting what you mean David, but I don't think I will have any backwards tilt left in the bracket that way.

On 04/02/2022 at 18:18, PaulJ said:

If you mount it right way up to a Cratch board you wont be able to tilt it upwards so I would mount it upside down so you can tilt it forwards and so upwards.

Could use a plate extending from top of the cratch then with a dome nut or similar.

And save you getting moaned at in tunnels too..

I do see what you are saying Paul but concerned tat it will just fill up with water 

On 04/02/2022 at 18:20, Tracy D'arth said:

Mount it inside the cratch board shining through the glass, you get a better diffused light.

Thats a thought, thanks Tracy

On 04/02/2022 at 18:24, Mike Tee said:

Thanks Mike. Already got something similar with magnetic feet that i used through the Braunston tunnel - twice. just wanted something more permanent, plus I've bought it now! 

23 hours ago, Puffling said:

Looks like the Wipac classic driving lamp from the photo. I have the same one.

I considered mounting the lamp upside down as suggested, but feared that would compromise its watertightness. As you know, this lamp as delivered needs you to modify the negative connection so it doesn't connect to the lamp body, as these are car lamps. Squeezing two wires out the tiny rubber feedthrough intended for one wire compromises the sealing enough as it is.

I'd go with the custom-made bracket suggestion. Something in 5mm steel, black powder coated or painted. I used a surplus bracket which was included for mounting my multifuel stove, hacksawed a couple of flaps off, bent and drilled it. It's a boring angle bracket in fact, but painted to stay in the background. Also has space for when I get around to mounting a horn!

Exactly that Puffling, thanks. Midlands mentions about the wiring so was aware, but thanks for the heads up.

Some sort of bracket is favourite

9 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

Thanks for that BEngo. I get it now. The foot step I was calling something else - it was the heart shaped bit that threw me. Tap bracket obvious - when you point it out to me 😃

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thanks Ditchcrawler. Actually thats a nice one

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

I made a lamp bracket from two B & Q alloy book shelf brackets. It has been made to take two types of lamp,

A traditional fog type lamp and a masthead lamp.

No comments on the navigation lights please, this has been done to death!

B & Q appear to no longer produce these.

ETA found similar :

Amazon.com: Aluminum Alloy Metal Shelf Bracket, 90 Degree Angle Decorative Corner Brace, Wall Hanging Bookshelf with Screws : Tools & Home Improvement

Interesting, thanks Ray

Edited by RickS

50 minutes ago, BWM said:

Depending on the material/timber, you could drill and tap a thread into the wood then screw the thread in. I've done so before without any problems, some varnish applied inside the hole would help seal softer wood.

Thanks for that. To be honest, I would be a little worried of making a shoddy job of it and ruining the cratch, but it's a nice clean solution

• Happy 1

If it has a metric thread, you can get connector nuts from the likes of Screwfix and Toolstation. They are essentially just long nuts about four times as long as ordinary full nuts, and while  primarily  intended for extending studding (threaded steel rod) , I find they have many other uses. You could screw one on the existing bolt  and screw a bolt or short piece of  studding into the other end, or glue in a piece of thinner studding so you could use a thinner mounting hole. 

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Thanks Alan. Thinking about it some more I'm not sure that will work unless I mount it on the top, which I don't want to do. Mounting on the front with a longer bolt will mean it wont have a lot of tilt - I think

Put it upside down with the fixing above the lamp

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Put it upside down with the fixing above the lamp

Op was worried about it filling with water wrong way up. Id put a hole in it.

Well actually I wouldnt because I wouldnt worry about it 😀

Edited by PaulJ

16 hours ago, RickS said:

Thanks for that. To be honest, I would be a little worried of making a shoddy job of it and ruining the cratch, but it's a nice clean solution

I fitted these in the way described into 3/4" ply and they are strong enough to stand on, just need to use a drill of the appropriate size for the tap and there is little to go wrong. 

20220206_112456.jpg