Notice Alert

Rochdale Canal
Starts At: Lock 92 Castlefield
Ends At: Lock 84 Dale St

Monday 4 October 2021 10:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: 3rd Party Works

Original message:

Please be advised navigation is currently closed between Lock 92 Castlefield and Lock 84 Dale Street on the Rochdale Canal due to a light installation falling into the canal at Lock 85. Our teams are aware and assisting third-party contractors to locate the light installation and resume navigation.

An update will be provided this afternoon.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/20748/lock-92-to-lock-84-rochdale-canal

Stuck below the 9 in Caslefield I heard the power is still connected to the light appliance. Of course it could be a heavy light appliance or else it should be easy to just pull it out by the wire. I may walk up and do it for them.

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Stuck below the 9 in Caslefield I heard the power is still connected to the light appliance. Of course it could be a heavy light appliance or else it should be easy to just pull it out by the wire. I may walk up and do it for them.

What is mooring like in Castlefield?  Is there any space over by the Wharf/car park (mostly long term moorings)? or are you over in the two little arms and if so does it feel safe or is it a youth hangout?

5 hours ago, dmr said:

What is mooring like in Castlefield?  Is there any space over by the Wharf/car park (mostly long term moorings)? or are you over in the two little arms and if so does it feel safe or is it a youth hangout?

We are just around the corner from the lock landing. Pouring down so no scrotes about. There are a few places in Castlefield and more behind us where I'm told are the new visitor moorings. Lock 92 and 84 still chained so no early start. Progress likely to be further frustrated by tomorrow's rain.

21 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

The contractor has lost their lustre on this one, hardly a shining example... 

Never mind the contractor I think CRT have lost the plot - This morning about 10am I talked to the CRT chap at Lock 92. He assures me the canal is still closed but he says doesn't understand why it's taking so long to retrieve a light fitting. So I walk up the nine and meet a contractor at lock 85 who was magnet fishing. I asked if he was trying to find the light fitting but he tells me no he's just dropped a spanner in. Then he tells me the electrician finished the lights yesterday afternoon. I rings CRT who are now as confused as me but promise to call back They do and confirm the canal is open. Seems to me the contractor didn't let CRT know and CRT didn't check with the contractor. Good eh?, No it gets better we arrived at the top of the nine at 3pm just in time to receive the notice telling of tomorrow's maintenance stoppage at lock 76.  Would have been really handy if they had sent that one earlier or did they just decide to fit s new lock beam during their lunch break today? 

39 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Would you have more luck with the HNC?

I’d guess that would depend on the weather? They just re-opened as plenty of water with the recent rain, but the EA have taken their abstraction pump home that they’ve been using to replenish the canal from the Colne. So if it turns nice i’d expect more closure, if it chucks it down it might stay open?!?

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

The Rochdale is also closed further along because of a fallen tree.

Would you have more luck with the HNC?

Possibly we would but our travelling companion's boat won't make the gauge I think and I don't fancy going up there to find out.

There’s just something about the Rochdale 🤷‍♀️Takes a lot of patience. 

After being delayed a few weeks by supposed water shortage and vandals last year, I was hindered at Rochdale with a fallen tree. 
A man from CRT came to assess that yes it was a tree blocking the canal and they would need the experts in.  
Then a man who represented the experts came and said yes it will need experts. 
And then the experts came and removed the tree. 
All took about 4hrs. Good stuff. Couldnt fault them. So no big problem. 

Sometimes shit just happens.….

but on the Rochdale it always happens. 

Enjoy 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

There’s just something about the Rochdale 🤷‍♀️Takes a lot of patience. 

After being delayed a few weeks by supposed water shortage and vandals last year, I was hindered at Rochdale with a fallen tree. 
A man from CRT came to assess that yes it was a tree blocking the canal and they would need the experts in.  
Then a man who represented the experts came and said yes it will need experts. 
And then the experts came and removed the tree. 
All took about 4hrs. Good stuff. Couldnt fault them. So no big problem. 

Sometimes shit just happens.….

but on the Rochdale it always happens. 

Enjoy 

I am finding it a bit worrying as my last long (ish) trip of this year is planned from Huddersfield to Froghall Basin on the Caldon.Going and coming back on the Rochdale.(Barred from Standedge because of fibreglass and petrol powered) planned to be a 3- 4 week trip,but am wondering if I will get back to my mooring in Huddersfield before Christmas!

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I am finding it a bit worrying as my last long (ish) trip of this year is planned from Huddersfield to Froghall Basin on the Caldon.Going and coming back on the Rochdale.(Barred from Standedge because of fibreglass and petrol powered) planned to be a 3- 4 week trip,but am wondering if I will get back to my mooring in Huddersfield before Christmas!

🤷‍♀️

live in hope

👍

10 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

But the winter stoppages kick in after the end of October.

Even if there are no stoppages on your route Hudderfield to the Calden and back in three weeks is really going some, especially as the days are shorter.

26 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

It's just a bit like playing Russian Roulette with a two chamber gun. Check Winter maintenance programme though

Broad lock 7 starts 8/11

Rochdale 1/11 - 12/11 Near lock 19

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

It's just a bit like playing Russian Roulette with a two chamber gun. Check Winter maintenance programme though

Broad lock 7 starts 8/11

Rochdale 1/11 - 12/11 Near lock 19

Thanks gents. Just checked the winter stoppages and looks like I might get a few days away but not too far before the year end.

It's been a really bad year for boating up North hasn't it.

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Even if there are no stoppages on your route Hudderfield to the Calden and back in three weeks is really going some, especially as the days are shorter

?

Hudd basin to Marsden 1 day, Marsden to Droylsden 1 day, Droylsden to Lymm 1 day, Lymm to Middlewich 1 day, Middlewich to Red Bull 1 day, Red Bull to Milton 1 day, Milton to Black Lion at Consall Forge 1 day.

Week at the Black Lion.

Return.

Three week trip, done!

:D

Drat, just spotted the banned from Standedge bit.

That's going to eat into your week at the Black Lion ...

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

?

Hudd basin to Marsden 1 day, Marsden to Droylsden 1 day, Droylsden to Lymm 1 day, Lymm to Middlewich 1 day, Middlewich to Red Bull 1 day, Red Bull to Milton 1 day, Milton to Black Lion at Consall Forge 1 day.

Week at the Black Lion.

Return.

Three week trip, done!

:D

Drat, just spotted the banned from Standedge bit.

That's going to eat into your week at the Black Lion ...

Yes, you've got that wrong in lots of ways, for example Droylsden to Lymm includes the Aston 18 and the Rochdale 9, and then a long flat run on the Bridgewater, too much for one day at this time of the year. The only bit that you have got right is spending a week at the Black Lion.

Note there is almost zero phone or internet at Consall Forge so if you need internet then the only option is the wifi at the Black Lion, they open at about 11am and close late but a whole week of 12 hour pub sessions is quite hard work.