Novel Stoppage Excuses

David Mack

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

so if you need internet then the only option is the wifi at the Black Lion, they open at about 11am and close late but a whole week of 12 hour pub sessions is quite hard work.

I'm impressed that you know this.....

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Canal plan reckons it's better to go via the Peak Forest and the Macclesfield from the Rochdale - 8 days each way so you'll still get most of a week at the Black Lion ...

There is not much in it but I thought the the Rochdale 9/Bridgewater/Cheshire locks was marginally quicker??? we probably have slightly different CanalPlan settings. The Bridgewater is a fast canal whilst the Mac can be quite slow.

We are doing the Macclesfield/Peak Forest/Ashton route right now and its certainly the more pleasant route.

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

We managed it.  

Remember how it rained and rained and rained. 

No, I cant really remember the weather 😀. I do remember doing Harecastle with a bit of a hangover and forgetting to take one of the chimneys down.

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is not much in it but I thought the the Rochdale 9/Bridgewater/Cheshire locks was marginally quicker??? we probably have slightly different CanalPlan settings. The Bridgewater is a fast canal whilst the Mac can be quite slow.

We are doing the Macclesfield/Peak Forest/Ashton route right now and its certainly the more pleasant route.

No, I cant really remember the weather 😀. I do remember doing Harecastle with a bit of a hangover and forgetting to take one of the chimneys down.

Well it rained a lot 

I took me sewing to the pub. 

We had a quick trip through the little tunnel

We did a fair bit of boozing in the pub. 

And it would have been the Badger’s Arse that gave you the hangover.  

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Well it rained a lot 

I took me sewing to the pub. 

We had a quick trip through the little tunnel

We did a fair bit of boozing in the pub. 

And it would have been the Badger’s Arse that gave you the hangover.  

That was a good bit of boating. On leaving the Caldon we stopped for an afternoon session in the 'inadequate then did the run to the tunnel at dusk, and the decaying industry of Stoke was quite magical in the late evening fading light, then the cider sat on a bench at Harecastle south portal (after a bit of weedhatch stuff). Etruria to Harecastle is a much under-rated bit of canal.

I tried to recreate this trip last week but stayed too long in the pub so we spent the night in Stoke and did the tunnel the next morning. 

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, IanD said:

So it's x days in the 'inadequate and (7-x) days in the Black Lion... 😉

The Caldon has a very good pub at both ends, one has real steam trains, the other only has a picture of a steam train, but a better beer selection.

In addition the upper Peak Forest is only 6 miles long so it would be wrong to do the Marple locks without a detour to Bugsworth and the Navigation. CanalPlan just doesn't account for all this stuff.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

The Caldon has a very good pub at both ends, one has real steam trains, the other only has a picture of a steam train, but a better beer selection.

In addition the upper Peak Forest is only 6 miles long so it would be wrong to do the Marple locks without a detour to Bugsworth and the Navigation. CanalPlan just doesn't account for all this stuff.

Sorry, I made an error -- x days in the 'inadequate, y days in the Blue Bell, and (7-x-y) days in the Black Lion... 😉

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

Have you had a walk down to the Shepard’s Arms?

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Have you had a walk down to the Shepard’s Arms?

Where is that? Still trying to drink less and keep out of pubs, but failing.

Walked into Disley (Peak Forest) a couple of days ago to find a shop, for a little village it has a lot of pubs, a project for next year. 

Shepard’s Arms is in Whaley Bridge. Down past the CoOp up on the left. 
Dog friendly with decent beers and ciders. I think you might like it.

Friendly locals.

There’s a bar opened a year or two ago you might like too, if you ain’t found it.

If I remember it’s up the road where the butcher is? Opposite the co op. 

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Shepard’s Arms is in Whaley Bridge. Down past the CoOp up on the left. 
Dog friendly with decent beers and ciders. I think you might like it.

Friendly locals.

There’s a bar opened a year or two ago you might like too, if you ain’t found it.

If I remember it’s up the road where the butcher is? Opposite the co op. 

The Goyt Inn is a good locals pub too, maybe better than the Shepherd's Arms. YMMV...

Edited by IanD

8 hours ago, dmr said:

No but if you know about it you can always put it in your plan. Like stopping at Wheelock and heading into Sandbach to visit the pubs there. assuming you ever get past The Cheshire Cheese/

• Greenie 1

Just 7 hours from Islington marina, 4 visits down the weed hatch, 1 hour grounded below lock 76 (The lads forgot to refill the pound after yesterday's scheduled stoppage), 1/2 hour flushing a wheelie bin out of lock 69. All in all nothing unexpected. I bet that lot isn't on the CRT website. Spare a thought for the hire boat crew who followed us up  it's not like this on the Llangollen. One bright note 3 cheers for Nathan at the Red Bull office who rang me several times to check we were okay. A CRT officer who cares? Sack Parry and give Nathan the job.

Edited by Midnight

12 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Just 7 hours from Islington marina, 4 visits down the weed hatch, 1 hour grounded below lock 76 (The lads forgot to refill the pound after yesterday's scheduled stoppage), 1/2 hour flushing a wheelie bin out of lock 69. All in all nothing unexpected. I bet that lot isn't on the CRT website. Spare a thought for the hire boat crew who followed us up  it's not like this on the Llangollen. One bright note 3 cheers for Nathan at the Red Bull office who rang me several times to check we were okay. A CRT officer who cares? Sack Parry and give Nathan the job.

Is that up to the Rose?  7 hours is bad, we are doing it next Thursday and I am half hoping to get up to the top of Slattocks in a single day. Hopefully you have picked up all the rubbish on your prop. Was the water ok except for lock 76? and was it a rather nice "narrow dutch barge" that you were traveling with?

10 hours ago, IanD said:

The Goyt Inn is a good locals pub too, maybe better than the Shepherd's Arms. YMMV...

Had a walk round Whaley Bridge today but managed to keep out of the pubs. There are a lot of pubs for a little town, maybe we need organise a pub crawl next time we meet Goliath in Bugsworth?.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

....oh dear..

😎😉🍺

Support your local and all that..

T'was an early afternoon walk, the sun was way above the Yardarm and the mission was to walk the dog and have a look at Toddbrook reservoir, but I have already done more than most to support canalside pubs.

We are currently not drinking in pubs due to Covid but even so have made exceptions at:

Ship on the Rochdale (top of Slattocks)

Boat and Horses, on the Rochdale,

Navigation at Bugsworth (twice)

Swan at Stone

Brasenose at Cropredy

A posh pub by a bridge on the upper Thames

A slightly posh pub in Lechlade

That posh pub by the bridge again

The Wharf at Fenny

Pub with canalside mooring at Atherstone

Red Lion in Little Heywood

Borehole in Stone

Hopeless Inadequate in Stoke

Sutton Hall on the Mac

Navigation Bugsworth (again)

My biggest concern is that since covid I am paying by card rather than cash so the bank has all this written down.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, dmr said:

T'was an early afternoon walk, the sun was way above the Yardarm and the mission was to walk the dog and have a look at Toddbrook reservoir, but I have already done more than most to support canalside pubs.

We are currently not drinking in pubs due to Covid b........

It is good that Covid is helping you reduce your awful need to sin and consume awful ales.

We too have stopped drinking, breathing, farting, living and even crapping in case the composting lobby have a go at us for pumping out. 

I'm not sure when our Government will give us the release to go back to nomal,  perhaps the new normal will allow us to use voles and newts for fuel purposes,....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Is that up to the Rose?  7 hours is bad, we are doing it next Thursday and I am half hoping to get up to the top of Slattocks in a single day. Hopefully you have picked up all the rubbish on your prop. Was the water ok except for lock 76? and was it a rather nice "narrow dutch barge" that you were traveling with?

No 7 hours to Failsworth top lock 65. Nearly 9 hours to the Rose 
Plenty of rubbish left for you we are not greedy

Water was very low from 77 to 72 I had to keep cycling up to a few locks to let water down to get the boats across the long pound below 76. A lockie did arrive and said he would go up to 65 and let water down. I think CRT Nathan sorted that for us. The by-washes started running after lock 70

Yes Simon on narrow dutch barge was behind us travelling with the hire boat. I lifted a paddle for them when we exited the lock but they had weed hatch issues too so were about an hour behind us at The Rose. Ah the Rose, J W Lees never tasted so good.

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

I had fun trying to get on the Llangollen a few weeks ago, two pounds on Hurleston so low couldn't get out of the locks over the cill.

Phew! Made it over Summit 1/2 hour before the stoppage. Summit pound down almost 3ft. Plenty water below apart from the viaduct pound at Tod which was empty - paddles left up on the lock. Four Rochdale stoppages since Monday does it get like this anywhere else?

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Phew! Made it over Summit 1/2 hour before the stoppage. Summit pound down almost 3ft. Plenty water below apart from the viaduct pound at Tod which was empty - paddles left up on the lock. Four Rochdale stoppages since Monday does it get like this anywhere else?

How on earth did you get through in a foot of water -- is your boat a punt?

13 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Is that the viaduct pound or the one jut above? Its very short and often empty. The lock below is signed as "leave empty" which many (myself included) interpret as leaving a bottom paddle up but this does appear to empty the pound even though there is no obvious leakage from the top gates.

I was moored two pounds down from the summit for the second lockdown and there were a fair few summit problems, I fixed several of them. The offside bottom paddle on Longlees lock appears to raise itself by a few inches from time to time. I know this isn't a boater, and its not really "vandalism" as such but I do suspect there might be a naughty local child. I have told CRT about this (not sure they believed me) and as they have remote monitoring of the summit level they should be able to detect this and send somebody out before its get 3 feet down (if they could be bothered).

2 hours ago, IanD said:

How on earth did you get through in a foot of water -- is your boat a punt?

I was thinking the same! 

Down here in the industrial south, I was grounding along the bottom of some of the locks in the Napton flight going uphill and the pounds didn't even seem that low. In a boat drawing about 2ft 10in, or so I estimate.