The Infamous Mr Finch

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Will he take and drink a bottle of whisky which 'has not got its seal intact'?.

He might give it a cautious sniff first, to detect whether or not somebody's done what I assume you're thinking of (replacing the whisky with another amber liquid).

How does Mr Finch usually gain entrance into the boats he chooses?

He broke in by breaking one of our windows a few years ago, almost certainly was him as he has a specific way of breaking them. he will get no sympathy from me when I catch him. Apparently he is fond of wine and batteries but there were none of these on ours when he broke in.

He also breaks in through hatches as well and has been known to target boats again and again, he also likes to get caught around christmas time as it gets cold and he gets a nice warm bed over winter.

How does Mr Finch usually gain entrance into the boats he chooses?
Touch wood and all that i have never been broken into but i know of one boat near to me he has broken in to at least 3 times, each time he has forced the side door hatch, it seems once he knows how to enter a boat he will return to it time and time again.
touchngo but as i said owner is sure it wasnt the finch.
He trying to sell that boat i believe poor bloke would n't wish it on any one, you coming up to stow hill again this winter?

Not quite sure what you are trying to say in the second part of that comment, but It is my undersatnding that the Police have asked the boating community to report any sightings of Mr Finch to Crime Stoppers.

Not sure what you mean by the first part of your post, but I can clarify mine thusly;

1)Let the coppers do their job to the best of their ability.

2) Anyone who gets banged on the head trying to be a hero is a wally of Clarksonian proportions.

3) The piss-poor attempt at creative writing that formed part of the first post is just that.

I trust this is clear.

Addenda; Would those of a legal bent care to proffer an opinion re. the legality of said 'worthy tome' or is that tooo whiskey?

Edited by tomsk

Strikes me that a picture of the felon should be 'pinned' on as many 'information sharing sites' (like CW) as possible so people will recognise him and be able to report him if he is seen.

I don't think 'being seen' constitutes a criminal offence in itself, but may be mistaken.

A lot of people on here clearly know very little about Mr Finch and the way he operates. He will happily break into boats throughout the year leaving as little evidence as possible, but when the evenings start to draw in, he will sleep overnight on the boat, make himself breakfast (from your Stock cupboard) do the washing up and leave it on the draining board, before he leaves your boat. As the winter approaches he will make himself more visible, in the hope that he will be caught and arreseted. When caught he will be polite and co-operative with the Police and will offer numerous other cases of breaking into boats for consideration by the Courts. He will be held in either probation hostel or a Police cell until his case comes up, and he will spend the winter in Jail. He will be a model prisoner whilst in Jail and when released, will make his way down to the canal where he will start the cycle all over again.

This insight to Mr Finch's lifestyle is nothing to do with the published article, but comes directly from the Oxford Policemen who dealt with the break in on my boat, and who know Mr Finch very well.

A lot of people on here clearly know very little about Mr Finch and the way he operates. He will happily break into boats throughout the year leaving as little evidence as possible, but when the evenings start to draw in, he will sleep overnight on the boat, make himself breakfast (from your Stock cupboard) do the washing up and leave it on the draining board, before he leaves your boat. As the winter approaches he will make himself more visible, in the hope that he will be caught and arreseted. When caught he will be polite and co-operative with the Police and will offer numerous other cases of breaking into boats for consideration by the Courts. He will be held in either probation hostel or a Police cell until his case comes up, and he will spend the winter in Jail. He will be a model prisoner whilst in Jail and when released, will make his way down to the canal where he will start the cycle all over again.

This insight to Mr Finch's lifestyle is nothing to do with the published article, but comes directly from the Oxford Policemen who dealt with the break in on my boat, and who know Mr Finch very well.

Has he been operating in Berkhamsted? Its just that Blake was broken into in this way.

Nick

Y'know, I'm a liberal and I don't like jerky knees or hang 'em and flog 'em, but isn't it about time for the mob to storm the castle with flaming torches and pitchforks? Honestly, this guy is a thief and a parasite and presumably his own moral code accepts this. Carl mentioned a while ago that he found him passed out in a ditch. If anyone else finds themselves in that position, cut the clothes off him and pour a bucket of water over him, in the morning the problem will be solved. At the very least, waste no oppertunity to rob him of anything he has, and if he is "out of it" enough, stamp on his face!

Right, frothing at the mouth over. I can go back to being a lucid human being again.

Y'know, I'm a liberal and I don't like jerky knees or hang 'em and flog 'em, but isn't it about time for the mob to storm the castle with flaming torches and pitchforks? Honestly, this guy is a thief and a parasite and presumably his own moral code accepts this. Carl mentioned a while ago that he found him passed out in a ditch. If anyone else finds themselves in that position, cut the clothes off him and pour a bucket of water over him, in the morning the problem will be solved. At the very least, waste no oppertunity to rob him of anything he has, and if he is "out of it" enough, stamp on his face!

Right, frothing at the mouth over. I can go back to being a lucid human being again.

When my friend rang me to tell me my boat was on fire my first thought was that it could be Finch, trying to light a fire, and killing himself in the process. It came as a great relief that it was probably just the mindless idiots I mentioned earlier in this thread. I am also glad they weren't killed or injured in the fire.

If Finch had decided to spend the winter on my boat it would probably be afloat now, and a lot less singed.

There are worse people in the Braunston area than Finch. He belongs in jail (preferably through the summer when it would be a real punishment), not dead.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

It makes me wonder what has happened to him in his life to want to live like this.

Choosing to live in prison is no joke never mind an option.

He is clearly just barely existing and sounds like he has some kind of mental health problem.

A light punch in the mouth when caught and sending him on his way is one thing but stamping on his face would certainly not make me feel happy about myself as a person.

This is the problem we are putting people in prison but we are not helping them by giving them an easy ride while in there.

Perhaps hard labour would make some think twice.

It makes me wonder what has happened to him in his life to want to live like this.

Choosing to live in prison is no joke never mind an option.

He is clearly just barely existing and sounds like he has some kind of mental health problem.

A light punch in the mouth when caught and sending him on his way is one thing but stamping on his face would certainly not make me feel happy about myself as a person.

This is the problem we are putting people in prison but we are not helping them by giving them an easy ride while in there.

Perhaps hard labour would make some think twice.

The majority of homeless, adult, men in London are ex-forces, dumped on leaving, having been institutionalised, incapable of dealing with the real world.

I'd rather have Finch's lifestyle than sleeping in a shop doorway, drinking and drugging myself to death.

(though I hasten to add, I wouldn't swap the one I have now, ta)

I am well aware of Mr Finchs' methods, my point was that unless the authorities find a way to deal with him in a more effective manner there is really not a lot to be done except keep your boat a secure as possible.

Anyone taking summary action on this hapless individual will doubtless end up with a criminal record and possibly a short prison sentence, it's up to you.

It is very hard to deal with an homeless individual who has no objection to 3no. square meals and a roof over his head in prison if caught.

I think stamping on the head-piece of any parrafin sleeping in a ditch canot be advocated, if you find him sleeping in your boat/property then by all means cave his head in.

The majority of homeless, adult, men in London are ex-forces, dumped on leaving, having been institutionalised, incapable of dealing with the real world.

As is Finch, I have been told thet his final service was the foreign legion. Hence his abilty to dissappear and travel cross country faster than one would believe possible.

Julian

First I've heard / read about Finch not being from the areas involved. It does seem to me from the way people are talking, that in 30 - 50 years folk will tell tales of "that charachter Finch" who terrorised the canal years ago.

Hope you are big and strong as Finch is ex services lives rough and washes under the cold tap while the frost is still on the ground.

He has been through some of the moorings at Yelvertoft last year.