The Infamous Mr Finch

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I understand the sentiments being expressed by some people, but it is hard to feel very generous towards someone who broke into your boat causing £500 worth of damage, stole your (no longer available in full length) Berghaus Cagoule and (apparently for the batteries) your SLR camera, along with some tinned food.

Perhaps those people who feel we should be sympathetic towards Mr Finch would also feel some sympathy towards one of his victims and start a fund to reimburse the £100 excess I had to pay on the insurance claim.

Let's cut all the "carp" about taking into account the homeless versus the capitalists and whether or not it's libelous to write about proven facts. That is nothing more than muddying the waters with personal agenda.

I am not going to leap to the defence of an individual who blatantly rejects the basics of laws that provide us with the shaky society that we support, and in return (we hope supports us!!).

God alone knows it's fragile enough as it is without challenging the benefts to one disfunctional individual as oppossed to the losses and distress to thousands perhaps tens of thousands of law abiding individuals.

We don't need to ask the bleedin' hearts how would you feel if it were you, as we've just heard from a few of the victims, and as someone whom over the past 37 years has enjoyed 3 break ins ( to my knowledge none that could be attributed to Finch esq.) it is damn distressing. So far as I am concerned the acid test is : -

Suppose we all did that?

Never mind just one person dipping into other people's property as and when, suppose it was common practice?

The system is inept ........... we all pay horrendous taxes to provide a system that is two bubbles above sinking, and the likes of Finch capitalise on it.

He has reverted to looking after number one, that is his priority. He is a living example of Maslow and his hierachy of needs. Well at the moment my hierachy of needs is to protect mine and my own.

He has been offerred help and subsistance and rejected it again and again, he has chosen his route in life and history indicates that what you sow is what you reap. I fear that one day he'll cross swords with the wrong person and that will be that. The blame will lie with those who have had so many opprtunities to ensure his future well being and he himself for not having taken them.

packs up soap box and opens another packet of crisps

In the mean time don't go near my boat for it is booby trapped, thou shalt bleed it will hurt and I shall sue for the cost of cleaning (there is a notice on the door advising such)

zenataomm

I would point out that I haven't defended anyone's criminal actions and have clearly stated that the authorities need to deal with the problem more effectively.

Nobody puts pictures of the thug who likes cutting mooring lines (son of a BW employee) on telegraph poles, Nobody writes factional garbage about the bagheads that vandalise moorings and threaten the locals with violence, if they are challenged.

Finch is a pathetic individual who survives by stealing from boats and yes, if I'd caught him when he was on my boat he'd have got a kicking. If you catch him on your boat he'll run, be thankful he isn't the smacked up teenager who'll turn and face you with a Stanley knife.

• Greenie 1

Begs the question however, is he is so now well known, why the heck doesn't he just ask? I'd give him a tin of beans, a jumper and a tin opener and spoon if he wanted it and asked nicely.

Why break in? He's well known, so take advantage of the fame. Most of you who have had the pleasure of him break in, would you rather he asked, and if he did, would you give?

Or, in our dramatic world, where a lot of us thrive on controversy and scadal, would that just be boring?

Someone I know after haveing been broken into twice used to leave a "finch" package under the cratch cover all the things he needs food cloths and batteries.

Never got a thank you but their boat was left alone after that.

Another used to leave the side hatch unlocked, as that was his way in, and the food/batteries on the side, again no damage after that.

Julian

I can hear the typewriters of canalboat world now

not only does this forum seem to condone licence evasion etc

but also burglary

some people really do know how to fuck things up

Yes it is strange how many people struggle with the english language. No'one on this thread, or anywhere on the forum, to my knowledge, has condoned burglary, or licence evasion or any other criminal activity.

If someone expresses distaste at someone elses reaction to these crimes, it doesn't mean they support the criminal. It means they find the rabid demonisation of a petty criminal rather pathetic too.

........ oops sorry, I understand now ...... what we're doing is not condoning a criminal's actions, actually we're drawing a distinct line between three groups of individuals.

Those we don't know, or have enough evidence to identify and to boot is the son of a BWB employee or perhaps a glue sniffing smack head.

An old man who has a record as long as you like and no intention of stopping his one man crime wave but can be bought off by having presents left around.

And worst of all of course their is the unforgiveable fat cat capitalist who invested his time and money into breathing new life into our number one historical boat yard and on top of all the risks that brought has to reassure his moorers that mooring with him is a wise move. This he does by highlighting the necessary info that we the victims don't know. What the crim looks like, what he does and how and when he does it.

I agree with you, how dare he write such blatant, useful, information that may help someone avoid the cost of having their doorframes rebuilt.

I'm off out now to put together a goody bag for Mr Finch, I thought perhaps some Bourbon creams and a Chateau Lafite 47, I'll pop into ALDIS as well as I believe they sell cheap crowbars, perhaps he'd benefit from one of those too.

Perhaps we can meet up later and start ripping down the unfair posters before marching on the marina and having a go at the demon we really don't like eh?

He has reverted to looking after number one, that is his priority. He is a living example of Maslow and his hierachy of needs. .....
Well yes, insofar as he only seeks to meet the very basics to survive, but given his background surely Durkheim's theory of Anomie is more appropriate.
Nobody puts pictures of the thug who likes cutting mooring lines (son of a BW employee) on telegraph poles, Nobody writes factional garbage about the bagheads that vandalise moorings and threaten the locals with violence, if they are challenged.
Your comments tell us more about your opinion of T.C. than your opinion of Mr Finch, Carl.

Well yes, insofar as he only seeks to meet the very basics to survive, but given his background surely Durkheim's theory of Anomie is more appropriate.Your comments tell us more about your opinion of T.C. than your opinion of Mr Finch, Carl.

I get on fine with TC. I disagree with him on some matters and we've had healthy conversations about such things.

I have the greatest respect for what he did with a bankrupt, derelict boatyard, turning it into a thriving business, whilst retaining much of the history and heritage on the site.

My comments are consistent with my discussions about other matters on this forum, with people I've never met and have no opinion either way about their personalities.

If my criticism was purely reserved for him your comments might have substance.

you wont see him ....he moves in shadows

I have seen Mr Finch three times, two occassions were when I was moving on my boat, once on the towpath at Thrupp where he could not make himself invisible, and once emerging from a boat yard near Rugby where he was staggering along the towpath with blood streaming from his head from an injury. But the first ocassion was when he was trying to break into a boat at Braunston Boats, on that occassion we chased him but he literally disapeared into the undergrowth.

I have seen Mr Finch three times, two occassions were when I was moving on my boat, once on the towpath at Thrupp where he could not make himself invisible, and once emerging from a boat yard near Rugby where he was staggering along the towpath with blood streaming from his head from an injury. But the first ocassion was when he was trying to break into a boat at Braunston Boats, on that occassion we chased him but he literally disapeared into the undergrowth.

Is he in heaven? is he in hell? that dammed elusive pimpernel :)

I find the obsession with Finch, round here, a little strange.

By far the worst damage caused to boats, around Braunston is done by the bored, local youths looking to finance their next 10bag.

If you want to find the real criminals in the area, have a look down the sewer road, below the aqueduct where you'll see the mopeds and 'pimped' 1 litre fiestas congregating to chase a dragon or two.

sorry whats a ten bag??

Sorry if I have given the impression that I condone Mr Finches behaviour, this is emphatically not the case. The most offensive aspect of this thread is the truly awful, derivitive and 'Morseian' nonsense composed in his 'honour', leave the enforcement of the law to the Babylonians and the bewigged dress wearers amongst us. (however inept\operationally hamstrung and disinterested they may or may not be)

Edited by tomsk

Sorry if I have given the impression that I condone Mr Finches behaviour, this is emphatically not the case. The most offensive aspect of this thread is the truly awful, derivitive and 'Morseian' nonsense composed in his 'honour', leave the enforcement of the law to the Babylonians and the bewigged dress wearers amongst us. (however inept\operationally hamstrung and disinterested they may or may not be)

Not quite sure what you are trying to say in the second part of that comment, but It is my undersatnding that the Police have asked the boating community to report any sightings of Mr Finch to Crime Stoppers.

Edited by David Schweizer

Did spot a Robin skulking in the hedgerow today. Could have been the finch in a disguise as I wasnt fooled by the red breast. Did give chase but once again he eluded capture. Could this thread possibly get any sillier? I do hope so :smiley_offtopic:

?????????? Not aware of any case law that would back this up!
We could always start one if you'd like me to give you a whack with it :blink::blink::lol: Edited by Maverick