The Infamous Mr Finch

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I thought that people with boats in the Braunston area may be interested to learn that Mr Finch is out of prison and is up to his old tricks again. There are posters up in Braunston asking people to report any sightings of him to Crime Stoppers and the following article has been posted on the Braunston Village Canal News page.

"BUT now, February 2007, he has been released from prison -- so watch out!!

Yes indeed, on 10th October 2007 there is news that boats at Ventnor Farm Marina, here at Braunston and also near Nether Heyford have been broken into and all the signs point to Mr Finch. The Police say "Please circulate this information as widely as possible, even if your contacts do not have a canal running at the bottom of their garden - Mr FINCH (and other criminals) are known to take detours to avoid capture." Contact CRIMESTOPPERS on 0800 555 1110 if you think you spot him."

Details about Mr Finch, including a photo of him can be found here:-

http://home.freeuk.net/braunston/Braunston/Finch/Finch1.htm

Edited by David Schweizer

I find the obsession with Finch, round here, a little strange.

By far the worst damage caused to boats, around Braunston is done by the bored, local youths looking to finance their next 10bag.

If you want to find the real criminals in the area, have a look down the sewer road, below the aqueduct where you'll see the mopeds and 'pimped' 1 litre fiestas congregating to chase a dragon or two.

I thought that people with boats in the Braunston area may be interested to learn that Mr Finch is out of prison and is up to his old tricks again. There are posters up in Braunston asking people to report any sightings of him to Crime Stoppers and the following article has been posted on the Braunston Village Canal News page.

"BUT now, February 2007, he has been released from prison -- so watch out!!

Yes indeed, on 10th October 2007 there is news that boats at Ventnor Farm Marina, here at Braunston and also near Nether Heyford have been broken into and all the signs point to Mr Finch. The Police say "Please circulate this information as widely as possible, even if your contacts do not have a canal running at the bottom of their garden - Mr FINCH (and other criminals) are known to take detours to avoid capture." Contact CRIMESTOPPERS on 0800 555 1110 if you think you spot him."

Details about Mr Finch, including a photo of him can be found here:-

http://home.freeuk.net/braunston/Braunston/Finch/Finch1.htm

Quite apart from the lumpen prose style, are you sure this is the way forward or even strictly legal.

Edited by tomsk

Quite apart from the lumpen prose style, are you sure this is the way forward or even strictly legal.

Who cares? He's poor, so has no access to the libel system. The 'novella' that Tim Cochlan wrote about him (why??) would certainly be deemed libellous if it was a 'factionalised' account about a rich tax dodger, especially if you published a photograph of the subject, on the front cover.

The anti-Finch campaign is more about the blatant self-promotion of a prominent member of the Braunston community, wanting to be seen as some sort of latter-day philanthropist, than reducing the crime rate in the area.

• Greenie 1

Who cares? He's poor, so has no access to the libel system. The 'novella' that Tim Cochlan wrote about him (why??) would certainly be deemed libellous if it was a 'factionalised' account about a rich tax dodger, especially if you published a photograph of the subject, on the front cover.

The anti-Finch campaign is more about the blatant self-promotion of a prominent member of the Braunston community, wanting to be seen as some sort of latter-day philanthropist, than reducing the crime rate in the area.

I think you may be right.... Booo.. Down with this sort of thing... (Down also with breaking in to boats as well though)

Is he a real person?

The tramp who breaks into boats, steals food, clothes and sometimes sleeps over, is indeed a real person and really needs to be dealt with more effectively by the authorities (and yes, he has been on my boat and had food, beer and a couple of jumpers).

The spawn of Satan who ranks alongside Hitler and Pol Pot for his evil deeds is a figment of somebody's imagination.

• Greenie 1

Whoever it is who wrote a book about this sad character is OUT OF ORDER.

That would be Tim Coghlan, proprietor, Braunston marina.

Edited to say: You've got to be quicker on the 'edit finger' than that, Magman!

Edited by carlt

From that article I could agree with you.

However there are several people I know, who have had their boats done by Finch on more than one occasion, who are more vocal than TC about Finch.

One is/was the editor of the Northampton IWA mag hence Finch's apperance in there and she organised the poster campain.

Finch is an oddity he is ex military and in his 50s could easily out run just about anyone across fields, my ex local copper failed to catch him and he was only in his 30s and reasonably fit.

Another piece of finch history, a landowner spotted a light moving on a boat, knowing the boat was unoccupied he grabbed his shotgun loaded it with "salt" cartidges and went to investigate. as he went in one end, finch came out the other and legged it. Finch receicved both barrels, fell in the cut swam across climbed out and ran off across the fields.

Well thats as it was told to me.

Julian

That would be Tim Coghlan, proprietor, Braunston marina.

Edited to say: You've got to be quicker on the 'edit finger' than that, Magman!

Perhaps someone should put pen to paper detailing the persecution of the homeless and unbalanced by this fat-cat capitalist, wouldn't that be an amusing jape chaps?

From that article I could agree with you.

However there are several people I know, who have had their boats done by Finch on more than one occasion, who are more vocal than TC about Finch.

One is/was the editor of the Northampton IWA mag hence Finch's apperance in there and she organised the poster campain.

Previous poster runs have been printed on the marina copier. I was once asked to pin some up. I declined, pointing out that one of the characters working for the marina was a notorious boat thief and they should get their own house in order before promoting campaigns against others.

Previous poster runs have been printed on the marina copier. I was once asked to pin some up. I declined, pointing out that one of the characters working for the marina was a notorious boat thief and they should get their own house in order before promoting campaigns against others.

Thats what you get when you run a brokerage !!!!

The tramp who breaks into boats, steals food, clothes and sometimes sleeps over, is indeed a real person and really needs to be dealt with more effectively by the authorities

Carl, I think this is getting to the crux of the matter. Around our moorings it's a feeling of 'here we go again'. There's a kind of benign resignation that moorers will have to be on their guard for a while until the inevitable happens and both Mr Finch, the 'authorities' and we all go round the loop once more....

Now I've heard it all :)

well i was told that he is the only surviving member of the russian royal family that were all shot dead

by lennin, stalin and some bloke with a big moustache and a glass eye

he came to this country dressed as a lollipop lady and after years of hard work made it to london where he worked in the city selling derivatives

all was going well until black monday then the arse dropped out of his world

and this is how you now find him

reduced to pikkeing on boats

so lets not pre judge him he has a tale to tell

oh by the way if i ever catch him on my boat i will reunite him with his russian ancestors

Whatever has happened to the folk of this country? Is everyone a politically correct do- gooder who pities this sort of person that the courts are lenient with?

Whatever happened to the good old British Spirit of wrapping a pick axe handle around his head?

Ooops condoning violence here we go again ............... :)

So maybe his actions are a comment on the tendency for people to leave boats unattended on online moorings? Maybe keep a close eye on your boats or get a marina mooring? Pickaxe handle? Why not the iron bit?

He broke into my boat in Braunston Marina, and did a fair amount of damage in the process. Bless him :)