Photos of your boat.

DHutch

Featured Posts

No such option appears on my screen: for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pictures, when I press the link I just get a full-sized completely black screen, with no controls of any kind.

I viewed them on my IPad and it seems that you either get more or less options when using these magical devices. I may add, that it wasn't due to any technical ability by himself, as I am a complete plonker where computers are concerned! :-(

No such option appears on my screen: for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pictures, when I press the link I just get a full-sized completely black screen, with no controls of any kind.

That's strange, I get the 'view all sizes' at the very top right hand corner adjoining another saying 'close X' and clicking view all sizes works OK for the three last links.

Roger

That's strange, I get the 'view all sizes' at the very top right hand corner adjoining another saying 'close X' and clicking view all sizes works OK for the three last links.

Roger

Nope, my computer gives me no such options.

Martin, I don't mind you using any of the old pictures. I'm really pleased that folk think Albion is a good looking boat. I always thought she was a pretty thing. If I'd had the money I would probably had her built a little longer from the start.

Steve

I was having a conversation this very morning with someone about how pretty she was in the original form. If I had the money to buy another boat to live on, I'd keep Albion and convert her back to original format.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just come across these pics.

Agreed, it's a lovely looking boat.

Is the bottom pic the bottom of the Rochdale Nine, looking across to Castlefield?

Thanks, I'm not 100% sure as that's the boat in its original state with the original owner, but it sounds plausible as that was old stomping ground. I'm sure he told me that the boat worked clearing rubbish from the Rochdale Canal.

I'd like to ID the location and know if it exists/what it looks like now, as I plan to cruise the boat up to Manchester next summer and would love to try and get a photo of the boat now in the same location.

Here's virtually the same photo from 1971, by Ken Davis @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdphotos/4278821818/

The building on the left is the Merchant's Warehouse, now restored with very expensive apartments.

4278821818_fdd8279564_o.jpg

...and here's a much newer photo from the campaign to protect Castlefield from 2007:

castelfield-campaign2.jpg

Edited by Québec

I'm pretty sure it's Castlefield.

Have a look at this http://canalplan.eu/cgi-bin/gazetteer.cgi?where=Castlefield%20Junction The fifth photo.

Looks like it was taken from more or less from the same location as your pic.

Changing the subject, a Happy New Year to y'all and have you been to see a doctor yet?

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Here's virtually the same photo from 1971, by Ken Davis @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdphotos/4278821818/

The building on the left is the Merchant's Warehouse, now restored with very expensive

4278821818_fdd8279564_o.jpg

...and here's a much newer photo from the campaign to protect Castlefield from 2007:

castelfield-campaign2.jpg

Thanks very much, good to know I should be able to get the boat into pretty much the same position.

The Albion picture was taken in 1981 as I was setting off up the Nine locks on the monthly rubbish collection run. In the ten years between this picture and the Ken Davis shot, the Merchants Warehouse burnt down and the horse bridge in the background was removed. The 1981 picture is the first of a set of taken of the rubbish run that day and show the Rochdale Canal before a lot of the new building work took place along the line of the canal. Castlefield had a very different vibe in those days, no fancy bars, apartments and nice neat moorings, just scrap yards and dereliction.

Martin, when you get up to Manchester I'll get the guy who took the picture to take another in the same spot.

Steve

Lovely picture, thank you.

I don't know about any one else but I find colour pictures of retired working boats a little "odd". Not having seen them in their working days I am so used to seeing them in black and white. Having been born in 1950 history to me is monochrome, in my mind.

To me it is a bit like getting used to metric after living most of my life in imperial.

Not saying I don't like colour pictures because I do and is lovely to see them in their glory now restored.

Just my ramblings.

I don't know about any one else but I find colour pictures of retired working boats a little "odd". Not having seen them in their working days I am so used to seeing them in black and white. Having been born in 1950 history to me is monochrome, in my mind.

To me it is a bit like getting used to metric after living most of my life in imperial.

Not saying I don't like colour pictures because I do and is lovely to see them in their glory now restored.

Just my ramblings.

Allow me.. (hope Admiral doesn't mind) Stunning boat BTW.

TQd7cya.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Just my ramblings.

Try being born in the 80's, so yes I know what you mean.

I grew up on a heritage railway and was surrounded by people who 'used to see there going past the bottom of my garden'. Used to drive me mad!