Photos of your boat.

DHutch

Featured Posts

Admiral in the post above really does look stunning.

Anyway, at long last mine is now officially complete, surveyed, manual written, CE marked, the lot, so here she is:

Picture056.jpg

The white blob in the foreground is the dog asleep. (Pippa the kipper)

Internal view:

Picture052.jpg

ETA. I told a lie really. A boat is never finnished.

Steelwork by Dave Harris

Fit out by DH and myself

External paint by John Sanderson

Edited by andywatson

• 4 weeks later...

Picture of Muddy Waters, taken in Braunston on 10/2/08

boat1024.jpg

Credit for this picture goes to my friend, Jonno. It's by far my favourite picture of my boat!

Picture of Muddy Waters, taken in Braunston on 10/2/08

boat1024.jpg

Credit for this picture goes to my friend, Jonno. It's by far my favourite picture of my boat!

Awesome, such an atmospheric pic, sums it all up. I know this is a very old thread but we are just starting out on our adventure/dream and these images just make all the hard work and head scratching and soul searching worth it!! We won't show you ours just yet, she's just a shell with a very fat bottom lol :-)

Awesome, such an atmospheric pic, sums it all up. I know this is a very old thread but we are just starting out on our adventure/dream and these images just make all the hard work and head scratching and soul searching worth it!! We won't show you ours just yet, she's just a shell with a very fat bottom lol :-)

We are fitting out ourselves. Wall panels fitted, ducting for cables in, that's as far as we've got. Bought a wood burner but need to get wc etc etc, am worried about getting a pump out after reading a lot of bad press about them on here... Lots of decisions to make with so little time...

Ps it's new, we only completed the purchase just before Xmas.

Very true Martyn, we are so lucky to have this opportunity and are very excited about it, just want to do a good job of it and time is not on our side - but we will get there eventually! There are a lot of very helpful people around and this forum is excellent and very amusing too at times :-)

We are fitting out ourselves. Wall panels fitted, ducting for cables in, that's as far as we've got. Bought a wood burner but need to get wc etc etc, am worried about getting a pump out after reading a lot of bad press about them on here... Lots of decisions to make with so little time...

Ps it's new, we only completed the purchase just before Xmas.

My take on a pumpout without all the eliteism that seems to surround the toilet debate. (I am new to boating as of October 2013, got my 1st ever boat 2nd hand & now live on it in a marina)

In theory it sounds like a great idea, only having to empty once a month instead of every 4 days. The downside to this is if you are stuck (eg iced in) & your toilet is full, then you are kind of stuffed.

I wanted a pumpout, it was a deal breaker, actually I wanted 2 toilets pumpout & cassette, but if only getting 1 it had to be pumpout.

What I have found in reality, first of all I didnt check the size of the black tank, & it seems my pumpout has a miniature tank (the previous owners wanted more storage space) as a result I struggle to get 3 weeks out of it.

Every other pumpout machine I came accross when I wanted to empty my bog WASNT WORKING.

In my marina (which is only 2 years old & a very good marina) every other time I wanted to empty my bog the pumpout machine WASNT WORKING

You have to pay when you want to empty your bog, luckily only £10 in my marina, but prices varied between £15-£20 when I was out on the cut. Not so bad if you have plenty of money, the trick is finding a pumpout machine that works.

The trouble with a pumpout is when it's full you are stuffed, you cannot use your toilet until you find a working pumpout machine. Sure if you're a bloke you can pee in the hedge (or the shower if it's daylight & people are about) but no good if you want a number 2.

At least with a cassette toilet you can empty it, even if it's somewhere you're not supposed to empty it (not a good idea, but when you wanna poo I know what my priorities would be).

So if I had my time again, knowing what I now know, I would opt for a cassette toilet, it would be a deal breaker.

A minor annoyance about my pumpout toilet, the seat is so damned high, I have to have a step in front of the toilet, I've got used to that.

When I get enough money I will be fitting a thetford cassete toilet to my boat as well, I have the room.

I do have a porta potti for emergencies, I havent used it, but it looks bloody awful, & it's so low to the ground I'm not convinced I could get down that low & be able to poo.

Edited by Ssscrudddy

My take on a pumpout without all the eliteism that seems to surround the toilet debate. (I am new to boating as of October 2013, got my 1st ever boat 2nd hand & now live on it in a marina)

In theory it sounds like a great idea, only having to empty once a month instead of every 4 days. The downside to this is if you are stuck (eg iced in) & your toilet is full, then you are kind of stuffed.

I wanted a pumpout, it was a deal breaker, actually I wanted 2 toilets pumpout & cassette, but if only getting 1 it had to be pumpout.

What I have found in reality, first of all I didnt check the size of the black tank, & it seems my pumpout has a miniature tank (the previous owners wanted more storage space) as a result I struggle to get 3 weeks out of it.

Every other pumpout machine I came accross when I wanted to empty my bog WASNT WORKING.

In my marina (which is only 2 years old & a very good marina) every other time I wanted to empty my bog the pumpout machine WASNT WORKING

You have to pay when you want to empty your bog, luckily only £10 in my marina, but prices varied between £15-£20 when I was out on the cut. Not so bad if you have plenty of money, the trick is finding a pumpout machine that works.

The trouble with a pumpout is when it's full you are stuffed, you cannot use your toilet until you find a working pumpout machine. Sure if you're a bloke you can pee in the hedge (or the shower if it's daylight & people are about) but no good if you want a number 2.

At least with a cassette toilet you can empty it, even if it's somewhere you're not supposed to empty it (not a good idea, but when you wanna poo I know what my priorities would be).

So if I had my time again, knowing what I now know, I would opt for a cassette toilet, it would be a deal breaker.

A minor annoyance about my pumpout toilet, the seat is so damned high, I have to have a step in front of the toilet, I've got used to that.

When I get enough money I will be fitting a thetford cassete toilet to my boat as well, I have the room.

I do have a porta potti for emergencies, I havent used it, but it looks bloody awful, & it's so low to the ground I'm not convinced I could get down that low & be able to poo.

I seem to be able to get about a month out of my cassette toilet before I need to empty it. I achieve this by making use of EVERY available public/supermarket toilet I pass ;-)

Thank you for your thoughts & comments, we are seriously considering not going for pump out and going cassette route instead. My issue with cassettes is what they look like! Can you get one that looks more like a normal loo anyone?

Yes. You can get one with a ceramic bowl.

Without going into undue detail (it is breakfast time after all) it's not such an unpleasant task as you might think and you soon get used to it. It does help if the sanitary station is in good clean order of course.

This is a casset toilet in our boat. you can see it looks exactly like a home bog.

Pathfinder20007_zpsc277da1a.jpg

And it's ceramic.

Suggest you research vacuum cassete type toilets. When you flush the toilet sends the payload to a remote suitcase type cassete. <Athy help me out with spelling here!>

This way you can get a normal looking toilet.

Good luck!

Edited by mark99

That is impressive Mark99! Going to research this type as think could cope with that! What size is the holding tank and if you don't mind me asking how often do you tend to need to empty?

Thanks for your help on this :-)

I'd say empty as often as possible and preferably before it was full.

The toilet above is about 20 litre holding cassette. It's made by Sealand Dometic and called a Vaccuflush. I don't think they make this exact model anymore but they do others.

http://www.dometicsanitation.com/International/PG-6985-VacuFlush-Toilet-Systems

As regards empying, with two of us we get a week between emptying so we carry two spare cassettes - plus the one in situ. It really helps if you keep ahem liquid waste to a minimum.

Edited by mark99

• 1 month later...