Elsans

Maffi

Featured Posts

Some of you here will be aware that I make a point of removing rubbish from the canal. I'm no hero, no saint, no one special, I just have a lot of time on my hands. I am currently training my Crew Mate to do likewise.

In the 10 years I have been doing this I have removed, among other things, 9 Elsans, all but one full! I lifted one from within 20 yards of the elsan point and rubbish disposal point in Banbury. Why?

Whilst I was away last month  I found another two! One at the bottom of the steps at Bridge 18 on the GU and one on the farmers side of the hedge at at Lock 11 on the Buckby flight.

What is is about some people who replace their cassettes, that they can't be bothered to take the old one to a disposal point rather than just dump it on the towpath/hedge?

Point of Order Lord Oxford.

Elsan produces chemicals, toilet products and other stuff for caravans and boaters. They also produce 2 toilets, the Bristol and the Oxford.

Did you find some toilet cassettes, produced by Thetford, Leesan or someone else??

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Point of Order Lord Oxford.

Elsan produces chemicals, toilet products and other stuff for caravans and boaters. They also produce 2 toilets, the Bristol and the Oxford.

Did you find some toilet cassettes, produced by Thetford, Leesan or someone else??

Do I take it you unfailingly call the thing you clean the floor with a vacuum cleaner rather than as many do a "Hoover"?   Or for that matter you never use a "biro" unless of course you have checked that it is actually a Biro and not a Bic or some other make?

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Do I take it you unfailingly call the thing you clean the floor with a vacuum cleaner rather than as many do a "Hoover"?   Or for that matter you never use a "biro" unless of course you have checked that it is actually a Biro and not a Bic or some other make?

An Elsan is what you empty the crap from a cassette into.

I've never ever heard of a casette from a toilet being called an 'Elsan' in over 35 years.

Your analogy doesn’t work in this intance.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I've never ever heard of a casette from a toilet being called an 'Elsan' in over 35 years.

I have!  Within the last 12 months.

Edit to add:

Elsan
/ˈɛlsan/

noun
TRADEMARKBRITISH

1. a type of transportable chemical toilet.

Edited by Jerra

34 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Some of you here will be aware that I make a point of removing rubbish from the canal. I'm no hero, no saint, no one special, I just have a lot of time on my hands. I am currently training my Crew Mate to do likewise.

In the 10 years I have been doing this I have removed, among other things, 9 Elsans, all but one full! I lifted one from within 20 yards of the elsan point and rubbish disposal point in Banbury. Why?

Whilst I was away last month  I found another two! One at the bottom of the steps at Bridge 18 on the GU and one on the farmers side of the hedge at at Lock 11 on the Buckby flight.

What is is about some people who replace their cassettes, that they can't be bothered to take the old one to a disposal point rather than just dump it on the towpath/hedge?

Well done lad!

You've obviously got a stronger stomach than me. There is a bloke on my mooring who goes on a regular dog poo pickup.I don't mind picking up litter with a litter picking thing,but I am too squeemish for poo!

41 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

>> What is is about some people who replace their cassettes, that they can't be bothered to take the old one to a disposal point rather than just dump it on the towpath/hedge?

Could it just be that they put them down, install the spare, then forget them?

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Jerra said:

See my edit above

Not in common useage it isnt. That merely says its a 'type' of trasnportable toilet.

Elsan make two types, but I still dont think the OP was refering to those two models.

Edit - Laugh you may @Jerra but it hasnt become colloquially synonymous in the same way 'Hoover' has for vacuum cleaners.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

16 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Edit to add:

Elsan
/ˈɛlsan/

noun
TRADEMARKBRITISH

Not only has Lord Oxford found cassettes, he also has a transportable toilet named after him . 

2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PRODUCTS.

And people complain about some of the northern canals.... During my travels in Burnley and Blackburn I recall seeing a dumped bog amongst the copious detritus discarded by the locals but never an elsan/leesan/thetford/etc.  As well as being soft Jessie's looks like you southerners are dirty beggars as well.... 

Seriously I applaud Maffi and anyone who tries to improve their environment and I've spent several Sundays with other volunteers pulling rubbish out of the cut 

Can't compete on the number of bogs but fire extinguishers and patio chairs seemed to be my usual 'treasure' on the L&L in Burnley ??

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Edit to add:

Elsan
/ˈɛlsan/

noun
TRADEMARKBRITISH

The type of toilet I have heard referred to as an "Elsan" was basically a dustbin with a wooden seat on it. Cassettes are relatively high tech.

• Greenie 3

10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not quite. That's an Elsan disposal point.  Hence, it's where you dispose of the waste from your Elsan.

I assume that the name is a throwback to a time when Elsan was a leading brand of chemical toilet - just as most modern vacuum cleaners probably aren't made by Hoover, and I'm not sure that Biro still make pens at all.

I have more often heard such disposal points referred to as "Sani stations".

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not quite. That's an Elsan disposal point.  Hence, it's where you dispose of the waste from your Elsan.

I assume that the name is a throwback to a time when Elsan was a leading brand of chemical toilet - just as most modern vacuum cleaners probably aren't made by Hoover, and I'm not sure that Biro still make pens at all.

I have more often heard such disposal points referred to as "Sani stations".

Elsan, is much more commonly used in my experience. Why use three words and six syllables when one word and two respectively suffices.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Why use three words and six syllables when one word and two respectively suffices.

Depends on how idle you are, I suppose. 

:D

But to use "Elsan" in your sense is like using "remote" to denote a remote control device or, in days gone by, "tape" instead of "tape recorder". it is an abbreviation which does not convey the speaker's full meaning, although other people may understand what it's short for.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Depends on how idle you are, I suppose. 

:D

But to use "Elsan" in your sense is like using "remote" to denote a remote control device or, in days gone by, "tape" instead of "tape recorder". it is an abbreviation which does not convey the speaker's full meaning, although other people may understand what it's short for.

Coming from Yorkshire, as I do I would describe it as 'economical' rather 'idle'.

(Ps as an aside we still use 'tape' when tatlking about recording TV programs on a digital set top box/Sky box).

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Coming from Yorkshire, as I do I would describe it as 'economical' rather 'idle'.

(Ps as an aside we still use 'tape' when talking about recording TV programs on a digital set top box/Sky box).

Brought up in Yorkshire, as I was, I would probably agree, as long as it cost me nowt.

Mrs. Athy, the Controller Of The Remote Device, tells me that we can't "tape" or otherwise record programmes any more, they just float about in great long lists on the screen until she fishes one out for us to view.

And there's another thing: people generally speak of "watching", rather than "viewing", T.V., so why are they called viewers rather than watchers? I could go on, but you'll be pleased to learn that I'm not going to.

Edited by Athy