Jump to content

Guidance for visitors to the Fenland Waterways


Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Marvelous piece of work!

But I didn't understand:

  • If you drop your phone in the water, you can check the current status of the river by calling the Floodline numbers (details below).

 

 

Surely you don't need to call them, you can check the current status by watching how quickly your phone drifts off downstream

  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

Surely you don't need to call them, you can check the current status by watching how quickly your phone drifts off downstream

And there are still some payphones... I have an old fashioned phone as a spare on board...

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Are the EA maps for the Nene and Gt Ouse still available could be worth a mention if they are. 

I think so - I bought some at Northampton a couple of years ago.  Thanks, I will add something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

You don't say where to get the 'Anglian Pass'  or the price for boats under 10 metres (as mine is).

The Pass will be made up of 4 bands, currently based on vessel length; Up to 5m, over 5m to 10m, over 10m to 15m and over 15m. - The cost of the Pass for each band will be a fixed annual charge for each band of; £25, £50, £75 and £100 respectively

 

This pass can be bought via the EA’s National Customer Call Centre. 0800  506506

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do EA not also control the New Bedford River between Denver and Earith?

Might be worth inserting the word "paddles" in brackets after the first reference to "slackers".

Might also be worth pointing out that the maximum depth at Stanground Sluice is found at the bottom end of the lock, and so deep drafted narrow boats locking down may need to pass through the lock backwards. Full length boats will then need to reverse for 1 mile before being able to turn; shorter boats can turn below the lock.

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The Pass will be made up of 4 bands, currently based on vessel length; Up to 5m, over 5m to 10m, over 10m to 15m and over 15m. - The cost of the Pass for each band will be a fixed annual charge for each band of; £25, £50, £75 and £100 respectively

 

This pass can be bought via the EA’s National Customer Call Centre. 0800  506506

Correct me if I am wrong but as I read that doc if I have a Cart licence and pay £100 I get access to Nene, ML and Gt Ouse

If I have an EA licence I  have to pay £100 just to access the ML 

Doesn't seem equitable to me.

Or us it not finalised yet.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Loddon said:

Correct me if I am wrong but as I read that doc if I have a Cart licence and pay £100 I get access to Nene, ML and Gt Ouse

If I have an EA licence I  have to pay £100 just to access the ML 

Doesn't seem equitable to me.

Or us it not finalised yet.

 

That's not my understanding, and I did show my text in draft to someone who is on the new Middle Level  Advisory Committee.

Basically, you need to have a valid "normal" licence for one of the three waterways (EA, MLC or Camcon), and the Anglian pass then gives you access to the other two.  The simplest way to do this is a Gold licence. Then a short term EA licence, or an annual EA licence. A CRT licence on its own is not enough. 

 

I hope some more details will be published, but as of now I am confident the text is correct. Time will tell!    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My deduction wasn't from your text but from the ML document.

It still means £100 to cross the middle Level twice. It might be good if MLC could be persuaded to introduce a transit permit similar to the Thames transit permit from Teddington to the River Wey which  costs £10 and is valid for "one" day.

Edited by Loddon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Loddon said:

My deduction wasn't from your text but from the ML document.

It still means £100 to cross the middle Level twice. It might be good if MLC could be persuaded to introduce a transit permit similar to the Thames transit permit from Teddington to the River Wey which  costs £10 and is valid for "one" day.

Ive been watching the latest updates to this and assume the final details to be announced soon. The latest statement on EA site does say -

'The Pass does not replace the existing short-term/visitor registrations/ licences available with the EA and MLC, which will remain as an alternative option, but as now a maximum of 3 months visitor registrations will be allowed.'

 I assumed you would be able to get one if say you was passing through and not likely to return. 

Edited by PaulJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I already have an EA Anglian licence, as we are based on the Nene and will not be going back to cart's  ditches in the foreseeable so have no need of a gold licence. As the licence covers us for both rivers it would seem to me that a transit permit rather than a visitor permit should be the way forward for EA licence holders.

I can see myself going from the Nene to the Gt Ouse via the Wash ?

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

 it would seem to me that a transit permit rather than a visitor permit should be the way forward for EA licence holders.

 

This is what I actually meant albeit written badly!

I have two coming through in April, both will have EA licences and I would be amazed if either came back again let alone in the same year.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I already have an EA Anglian licence, as we are based on the Nene and will not be going back to cart's  ditches in the foreseeable so have no need of a gold licence. As the licence covers us for both rivers it would seem to me that a transit permit rather than a visitor permit should be the way forward for EA licence holders.

I can see myself going from the Nene to the Gt Ouse via the Wash ?

 


I would suspect that all three navigation authorities will want to see how the new arrangements work for a year or two before changing them, and maybe introducing a transit permit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the comments above, which I have taken on board.  I have resisted the temptation to call it version 1.0.1 

 

I have also corrected the reference to advance booking at Stanground, which is 24 hours not 48. I seem to recall it being 48 when I first did the Nene in 2011....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having had a word with Kevin at the MIddle Level. The Anglian Pass allows unlimited access to the other Navgations waters

for a year as was the case with the Cam add-on to the EA licence. The three month limit refers to  short-term/visitor

registrations not the Anglian Pass.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Guys, I'm sort of keen to explore these very quiet waterways, when the pubs open.

Can anyone give me a Boat Map, I think I'll be starting on the Witham, is it critical when my CRT licence runs out, as obviously I'm not made of money,

Tx

Jo

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Having had a word with Kevin at the MIddle Level. The Anglian Pass allows unlimited access to the other Navgations waters

for a year as was the case with the Cam add-on to the EA licence. The three month limit refers to  short-term/visitor

registrations not the Anglian Pass.

Yes, that's my understanding too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Having had a word with Kevin at the MIddle Level. The Anglian Pass allows unlimited access to the other Navgations waters

for a year as was the case with the Cam add-on to the EA licence. The three month limit refers to  short-term/visitor

registrations not the Anglian Pass.

Excellent- I emailed them last night and am awaiting a reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Hi Guys, I'm sort of keen to explore these very quiete waterways, when the pubs open.

Can anyone give me a Boat Map, I think I'll be starting on the Witham, is it critical when my CRT licence runs out, as obviously I'm not made of money,

Tx

Jo

This should do the business. Written by a very knowledgeable boater familiar with the area: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fenland-Waterways-River-Middle-alternatives/dp/178679148X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

This should do the business. Written by a very knowledgeable boater familiar with the area: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fenland-Waterways-River-Middle-alternatives/dp/178679148X

Tx,I saw this mentioned on the IWA broadcast via zoom, I'll get one in my next order, but what I meant, is there a best value time to arrive and depart, MY CRT Licence runs out end of July. 

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Tx,I saw this mentioned on the IWA broadcast via zoom, I'll get one in my next order, but what I meant, is there a best value time to arrive and depart, MY CRT Licence runs out end of July. 

If you need a yearly licence they start in April and only April.

There is a 50% discount if you arrive after October.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found the whole thing utterly baffling.

 

What's the difference between an EA licence and an Anglian Pass?  If I have a licence, then what's the pass supposed to be for?

 

I have a CRT licence.  If I wanted to spend a couple of months exploring the fens on a 16m boat, would I really have to pay 2 x £272.90 plus £100 - total £645.80?

 

Or would it just be £100?

 

Or something else?

 

If it's £645.80 there's zero chance of me bothering.

 

Oh and then I can pay an annual membership of Friends of the Nene but it's not clear what happens if I don't.  Am I excluded from water points, visitor moorings etc?

 

Why not try and simplify it all a bit?

 

By comparison, a month on the Warwickshire Avon is a simple £70 for any powered boat.  Easy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.