C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Do you mean they fall apart into microplastics that stick around in the environment for centuries? 

No mine are actually Biodegradable!

The bags you are talking about were made from materials which have been in the environment for millions of years. When the sun absorbs the earth such materials will just melt into one big blob! 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

I was just countering the blatant virtue-signalling.

How can we possibly know they don't?

We cant possibly know that they dont, but it is only an educated guess that they do!

20 minutes ago, Maffi said:

Biodegradable

Which means what, exactly, in term of plastics?

I'll accept that many things ARE biodegradable unless the material it's made from isn't plant based. Otherwise we just have to decide whether we believe the manufacturer, many of whom will say anything if they think it will help them gain a sale.

41 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Which means what, exactly, in terms of plastics?

I'll accept that many things ARE biodegradable unless the material it's made from isn't plant-based. Otherwise, we just have to decide whether we believe the manufacturer, many of whom will say anything if they think it will help them gain a sale.

Erm!  Technically plastics are plant-based.

5 hours ago, Maffi said:

No mine are actually Biodegradable!

The bags you are talking about were made from materials which have been in the environment for millions of years. When the sun absorbs the earth such materials will just melt into one big blob! 

We cant possibly know that they dont, but it is only an educated guess that they do!

But do you know into what they degrade? They may break down into something much smaller but are you sure that it is then benign?

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2022 at 14:54, haggis said:

Ok, we hear that composted human waste is not unpleasant to deal with but what about the period from production till it gets to that stage? 

From memory, the ea guidelines are that the first three months need to be closely monitored to ensure the right heat is maintained (I think it might have been 60 degrees c), then it's another chunk of months before it's usable as a safe fertilizer. 

Honestly though, having dealt with pump ours and cassettes, you'd be amazed how much less the stink of dry waste mixed with sawdust is. But I'm not going to pretend you'd want to bottle the aroma, obviously

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MtB said:

Given that composting shyte is so great, I wonder why we don't have composting dog shyte bins put in by the local councils. 

I understand that councils advise against the composting of either dog or cat poo; apparently it contains more pathogens harmful to humans than does the poo of a healthy person.

General household waste bins, not recycling of course, are recommended by councils for pet's and human waste, provided it is double bagged.

When specific dog poo bins are unavailable, councils seem to be recommending the use of street litter bins instead, presumably because it all ends up in the same place.

Partially dessicated/pre-composted human poo to my knowledge has never been mentioned specifically by any council, just adult's and children's soiled incontinence pads nappies etc, which may be somewhat less pleasant. I suppose once double bagged, it's all similarly disgusting.  

I have no idea if councils are happy for incontinence pads etc to be deposited in dog poo bins or street bins if the former is unavailable, or what happens to it once emptied, but once double bagged, nothing is going to compost aerobically.