C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Yup, :)

My point is valid though, fertilizers are wonderful in the right place, in the wrong place can have devastating impacts (seriously) and I get twitchy when I see it used as a casual justification for disposal of urine or any organic matter in fact, use it at home on your veggies where it will be really useful 

As I have said I use it watered down on my Veggies it does work especially as its mixed with rainwater rather than tap water 

Peter, I think you may be missing a trick: a gallon of wee won't go that far when just watered onto your veg plot, but if poured into a waterway it will make duckweed grow for miles. That volume of duckweed when scooped out and stacked with some dry fibrous material would make tonnes of excellent compost😁

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

On 23/05/2022 at 20:25, Alan de Enfield said:

These 'bucket & chuckit' zealots cannot accept that they are just 'WRONG'.

We shouldnt have  'bucket & chuckit' zealots in this day and age.

• Greenie 2

On 19/05/2022 at 08:33, MtB said:

I suspect the 'street waste' incineration process is a massive user of energy, not a producer.

Interestingly I have just been talking to a chap with involvement in this in Suffolk so I asked him. The one in Suffolk uses oil and gas to start up and come to temperature, less than half an hour, after that the refuse is the fuel, its self maintaining.
His involvement in this was the incinerator has been shut down for maintenance and he has spent 9 days at 12 hours a day bailing all the black bag waste to store it until the incinerator is fully back on line.

I mentioned backing poo and he didn't seem that impressed. By the way he has to un bail and break all this stuff up before it can go to the incinerator 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interestingly I have just been talking to a chap with involvement in this in Suffolk so I asked him. The one in Suffolk uses oil and gas to start up and come to temperature, less than half an hour, after that the refuse is the fuel, its self maintaining.

That's very good to know. 

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Amen to that.

Unfortunately  that is exactly what we have with a large majority of the, laughingly called,  "composting toilet owners". In a Facebook survey 75% owned up to not composting properly and just 'chucking' the bucket contents into bins or elsewhere.

They are the ones claiming that they are 'green' and saving the planet.

Lets just say deluded (at best)

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I mentioned backing poo and he didn't seem that impressed. By the way he has to un bail and break all this stuff up before it can go to the incinerator 

Understandable...

Councils seem either to send the contents of dog poo bins/street waste bins and domestic non-recyclable bins, any of which may contain dog poo or human waste/nappies etc to either landfill or for incineration/energy reclamation, but I didn't know the following:

"Is it OK to flush dog poo down the toilet UK?

Don’t flush animal mess down the loo

You should not flush animal poo down the toilet. The wastewater treatment process is only designed to treat human waste and animal poo has much higher levels of bacteria, as well as a higher nitrate content."

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In a Facebook survey 75% owned up to not composting properly and just 'chucking' the bucket contents into bins or elsewhere

Binning partly dried out human waste should of course be discouraged, but at least it is reported to be less harmful to people and the environment than dog poo, the dumping of which in bins is encouraged.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Binning partly dried out human waste should of course be discouraged, but at least it is reported to be less harmful to people and the environment than dog poo, the dumping of which in bins is encouraged.

Its one better than leaving it on the pavement which use to be the case when I was a kid, remember the campaign "Kerb your dog" to try to get it to crap in the gutter and not on the pavement.

• Greenie 2

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its one better than leaving it on the pavement which use to be the case when I was a kid, remember the campaign "Kerb your dog" to try to get it to crap in the gutter and not on the pavement.

With 9,000,000 dogs in the UK producing an estimated 3,000 tonnes of waste per day that is considerably more dangerous than partially dried out humanure, it certainly puts the problem of a few hundred separating loos on boats into some perspective.

• Unimpressed 1

Your decimal point is in the wrong place. 

Average per animal 340g. 

Approx 9m animals. 

9 million times 0.34 to get just over 3 million kilos. Divide by a thousand. 

Approx 3000 tonnes per day. 

It's probably less than this but it will be in the thousands of tonnes per day. 

Even just 1000 tonnes of dog waste would be a shite to behold. 

Perhaps if people used the DOG WASTE bins to dispose of used or unwanted dogs it would reduce the problem but they would need to be larger bins or they would only accommodate chiwawas and butterfly dogs. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 36national said:

With 9,000,000 dogs in the UK producing an estimated 3,000 tonnes of waste per day

WOW novel stats where did y make that up from?  do you seriously believe that your average dog produces 3 kilogrammes of shit per day or are you just very bad at maths. You might produce 3 kilos of shit per day but most of it aint coming out o your arse.

Perhaps you should check your maths before insulting others; feel silly now?

The figures were lifted from 'The Guardian ' online.

IMG_20220530_074558.jpg

• Greenie 2

There is no way on earth that our dog dumps 3kg per day.

He only weighs just under 12kg and given I pick it up I am confident it doesnt weigh a quater of his body weight.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To correct atrocious spooling

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There is no way on earth that our dog dumps 3kg per day.

He only weighs just under 12kg and given I pick it up I am confident it doesnt weigh a quater of his body weight.

So is a quater a unit of measurement in Yorkshire, a recognised unit with a bit shaved off to save money?

11 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

IMG_20220530_074558.jpg

Interesting but my doggie doo bags do biodegrade as I am sure thousands, if not millions, of others, do as well. So if they got that wrong maybe they have other stuff wrong too!

2 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

If you read the article properly, it says  340g per day, not 3,000g. 

I didnt read it.

I was responding to the suggestion that a dog does dump that much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2022 at 07:50, Bargebuilder said:

IMG_20220530_074558.jpg

Cant speak for everyone but my bags bio-degrade

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

How can we possibly know they stick around in the environment for centuries?

I was just countering the blatant virtue-signalling.

How can we possibly know they don't?