C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Councils make no fuss about providing numerous and widespread dog waste bins where raw excrement is deposited, so it can't be that difficult or expensive.

They put it in landfill. They do it in order to keep down complaints and try to train owners to be responsible. It is included in your council tax.

It would be impossible to compost, it's full of plastic bag, just like double bagged faeces.

If dog owners lift the poop but don't find a bin, they leave it in a field, down a drain, hang on trees, or drop it on the towpath.

Some  owners must take it home, but many don't bother, some let dog poop when and where it likes.

I see examples every day on my four mile walk, it's not uncommon.

Edited by LadyG

8 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

When I visited the Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales in 1976, the gents toilet was home to one of their exhibits, a gents urinal consisting of a bale of straw stood on end with a funnel pushed in the top. Visitors were invited to use it instead of the conventional urinals that were also provided!  When it had been in use for long enough, the urine-soaked straw would be used as fertiliser. It was suggested installing your own in a quiet corner of your garden.

This sounds great, the perfect solution. CCers could pair a bale of straw for weeing into with their composting toilet. Just put it in a quiet unused corner in their narrow boat and after a few months, use it to fertilise the cannabis plants and get a new straw bale.

I suppose it work work even better in a widebeam.  :)

17 hours ago, IanD said:
17 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Councils make no fuss about providing numerous and widespread dog waste bins where raw excrement is deposited, so it can't be that difficult or expensive.

And it benefits millions of dog owners, and everyone else who doesn't want to tread in dogsh!t...

If your point that dog waste bins are worthwhile and economic because their cost is divided between millions of users, plus they protect the environment, then perhaps councils should allow boaters to use them, increasing the number of users still further and protecting the hedgerow from illegal dumping? 

Even more people benefit and even more of the environment is protected!

Only users of composting toilets will know how much more pleasant partially dessicated human waste is than dog poo.

I have seen dog poo bins being emptied and the operative doesn't touch the contents of the bin and of course at the processing plant the plastic bags are ripped off mechanically.

Canal-side bins could be larger, but even several weeks of human 'deposits', having dried out and shrunk as they do, amounts to a tiny volume that needs binning.

It could be that those unlucky enough to not have composting facilities of their own are already do this.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

If your point that dog waste bins are worthwhile and economic because their cost is divided between millions of users, plus they protect the environment, then perhaps councils should allow boaters to use them, increasing the number of users still further and protecting the hedgerow from illegal dumping? 

Even more people benefit and even more of the environment is protected!

Only users of composting toilets will know how much more pleasant partially dessicated human waste is than dog poo.

I have seen dog poo bins being emptied and the operative doesn't touch the contents of the bin and of course at the processing plant the plastic bags are ripped off mechanically.

Canal-side bins could be larger, but even several weeks of human 'deposits', having dried out and shrunk as they do, amounts to a tiny volume that needs binning.

It could be that those unlucky enough to not have composting facilities of their own are already do this.

I don't know what makes you think there is some sort of special treatment unit for dog poo, ie de bagging, then composting, presumably the contaminated bags go to landfill.This does not happen, it all goes in the lorry which picks up litter.  Round here the small litter bins have notices accepting dog litter and general litter and are emptied frequently. 

if the dog poo bins overfill the owners just leave bags on the ground for some poor sod to deal with.

Edited by LadyG

This is lifted from Fareham borough council's web site. 

"The Council, in line with many other local authorities is gradually replacing 'dog bins' with regular litter bins.  This is because street litter and dog waste can now be placed in any litter bin other than those located inside a play area.  Separate bins for dog waste were provided originally because it was felt that this material should be incinerated rather than sent to a landfill site.  Nowadays all street waste is sent to the Energy Recovery Facility where it's incinerated, so now there is no need to provide two different types of litter bin."

So if someone were to put small deposits of semi dessicated human waste, bagged of course, into council litter bins alongside the dog poo, then all would be used to generate energy, which maybe a good thing?
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

So if someone were to put small deposits of semi dessicated human waste, bagged of course, into council litter bins alongside the dog poo, then all would be used to generate energy, which maybe a good thing?

I suspect the 'street waste' incineration process is a massive user of energy, not a producer.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MtB said:

I suspect the 'street waste' incineration process is a massive user of energy, not a producer.

Evidence? Burning carbon compounds produces heat, as any competent heat related repair man would know. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Evidence? Burning carbon compounds produces heat, as any competent heat related repair man would know. 

I think much depends upon the composition of "street waste". If all from litter bins then you are probably correct but if it includes street sweepings I am not so sure that there will not be a preponderance of grit and dust so may not produce much heat.

Seeing how different waste collecting practice is across England I am not sure what one council or contractor has published can be used as representative of the whole country.

Edited by Tony Brooks

3 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

If councils are replacing poo bins with multi-use poo friendly street bins that are usually considerably larger, then then this might work to the advantage of boaters.

Especially if they are open-topped bins not covered ones ... ;)

All you'd need is a lifering as a seat and a roll of paper in your pocket.

• Haha 4
  • Horror 1

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Especially if they are open-topped bins not covered ones

Covered or otherwise, if they are designed for sloppy, fresh dog poo in the thinnest of bags, then partially dessicated humanure in a bin liner or even double bagged should pose less of an threat.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Especially if they are open-topped bins not covered ones ... ;)

All you'd need is a lifering as a seat and a roll of paper in your pocket.

We need to campaign for more accessible bins, they are far too high, it's discriminating and non inclusive. I demand my rights!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Covered or otherwise, if they are designed for sloppy, fresh dog poo in the thinnest of bags, then partially dessicated humanure in a bin liner or even double bagged should pose less of an threat.

So, are you suggesting that boaters should walk (potentially miles) to the nearest town to dispose of the sloppy-stuff (as if that'd happen !) or that councils should place bins for sloppy-stuff along the towpaths  (as if that'd happen !)

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So, are you suggesting that boaters should walk (potentially miles) to the nearest town to dispose of the sloppy-stuff (as if that'd happen !) or that councils should place bins for sloppy-stuff along the towpaths  (as if that'd happen !)

The discussion was, that if councils are happy for raw excrement to be bagged and placed into street litter bins, the contents of which are then used to generate energy, might that be a solution for boaters with separating toilets.

Litter bins are not uncommon alongside or near to canals, and there is nothing sloppy about the product from a separating loo.

The contents of separating toilets build up very slowly, because it is constantly drying out and breaking down, so one could cruise for weeks looking for a suitable bin without accumulating too much humanure.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

McDonalds outlets don't use a water flush on their urinals.

Urinals with zero water flush have been around for years. At one particular pub I managed from 1997 a complete refurb was done. New toilets were fitted and it was explained to me how they worked, it was the ecological way!! I said that they would stink and was assured that wasnt the case. So in went the water free urinals, guess what..............they stank to high heaven after a while, even doing the stuff we had to do. I went to the same pub 3 or 4 years ago and grinned to myself when I went for a wee, and saw the water coming down the urinals.

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Do I need evidence to hold the suspicion I stated?

What I do know is that "incineration" of rubbish is a process different from 'setting fire to it'. 

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's kind of what I was saying above.  It's bad to tip urine in the cut because it's an excellent fertiliser.

The ones who do tip it in also tend to be the ones who complain most about CRT not clearing the weeds too!

I would be fascinated by a copy of the data supporting this profound finding. The researchers methodology would prove interesting reading too.

9 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

There is no problem dumping wee in the hedge, it gets used up by the plants. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/22/study-gives-green-light-to-use-of-urine-as-crop-fertiliser

I don't know about human pee but we get circles of accelerated grass growth on our back lawn where the dog pees...it definitely has an effect.

Dumping wee in the hedge is fine as hardly anyone does it as @Slow and Steady says. If we all did it, the tow paths would constantly smell rancid.........the one thing I took away from composting toilet ownership, is that a couple of days worth of raw urine in a jug always smells rancid. Worse than handling a cassette as far as I was concerned.  

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use there loos when I need to stop while driving home. The only thing I buy is a coffee and a chicken wrap. Never been for Sunday Lunch

I like the coffee and them skinny chips. 
Won’t have any other stuff.
But it’s been such a long time since I last went in one, that when I did I didn’t understand all the screens and couldn’t be arsed to work out the ordering system, so left.