NBW???

Midnight

Featured Posts

After reading the Narrowboatworld article "Northern canals suffer in flood"
https://www.narrowboatworld.com/12851-northern-canals-suffer-in-flood
I was left with some confusion. I was on flood monitoring duties on 21st and can report to the my knowledge the River Calder didn't reach critical levels. I rang around various people in the area but nobody has seen or heard of damage to locks or Elland bridge or even any sunken boats.  My colleague Big Jimmy is currently locked down in Todmorden and he reports same - no major issues.

Does anyone here know of such catastrophe or did 'Victor' just regurgitate old news from 2015?

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

This sounds odd

“While the focus now is on planning our longer term response I’d like to pay tribute to our teams who were out over the holidays responding to issues, and also to recognise the many offers of support we’ve had from the waterways community. The response in very difficult conditions has been fantastic and our staff, contractors and volunteers have already been out cleaning towpaths and helping to restore access where possible.

So I think it's an old article just rehashed to get them some clicks.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have never looked in at Narrowboat world is it a forum like Thunderclap or a paper of sorts?

The proprietor likes to think of it as a newspaper (I believe he was once a print journalist) However, if the grown-up media really do what is annoying Google at the moment in Australia (if it works there others will soon follow) then NBW will have a hard time! (ie charging for lifting other news items)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have never looked in at Narrowboat world is it a forum like Thunderclap or a paper of sorts?

It is a bit like Thunderclap in so much as it's unbelievable some of the stuff that they write. I'm off to the naughty step now hoping to avoid a "Calling Arthur Marshal (sic)" type of response over there. 
PS At least we can spell his name right here.
"INCOMING!"

• Horror 1

8 minutes ago, Midnight said:

It is a bit like Thunderclap in so much as it's unbelievable some of the stuff that they write. I'm off to the naughty step now hoping to avoid a "Calling Arthur Marshal (sic)" type of response over there. 
PS At least we can spell his name right here.
"INCOMING!"

Did they spell my name wrong? Many do. I haven't been to look - I like Tony, so I do keep an eye on the threads he's involved in, but not much else. I reiterate - I think they are perfectly within their rights to comment on anything I've ever said, and I'm sure they are doing so constructively and in the spirit of comradeship we all share as boaters. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Did they spell my name wrong? Many do. I haven't been to look - I like Tony, so I do keep an eye on the threads he's involved in, but not much else. I reiterate - I think they are perfectly within their rights to comment on anything I've ever said, and I'm sure they are doing so constructively and in the spirit of comradeship we all share as boaters. 

I'm sure they are doing their best.

1 minute ago, sueb said:

I've not taken them seriously since they mentioned me and got my sex wrong

Now I don't blame him
'Cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that my daddy ever did

Was before he left he wanted to
Name me Sue
He musta thought

That it was quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from lots a folks
Seems I had to fight my whole life through

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Reminds me of '81, my niece & her hubby were visiting from South Africa and we were watching the TV news of troubles in SA, her hubby started laughing at the' latest' videos, he said they were several months old. 

I had exactly the reverse of that.

Early '80s I was working in South Africa and watching TV the 'news' was showing the IRA  UK bombings from about 10 years previously and presenting them as news.

12 hours ago, StephenA said:

They seem to have an entire subsection dedicated to being nasty about people on here 

Remarkably pathetic.

True, but then there are so many opportunities! ?

At least it is well organised, such stuff is confined to a subsection whereas on here the nastiness about TB is spread throughout and peddled mostly by people who looked at it once 4 years ago when there was a concerted effort by CWDF stalwarts to join and demolish.

Edited by nicknorman