Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

A couple of articles on Narrowboatworld suggesting the IWA has lost its mojo and NABO as a credible alternative.
https://www.narrowboatworld.com/12726-what-s-happened-to-the-iwa
https://www.narrowboatworld.com/12727-there-is-always-nabo

I believe us boaters desperately need an independent organisation who will vigorously take CaRT to task over its abysmal record on closures and management. I don't know much about NABO they don't seem to attract very much publicity for their activities unlike the NBTA . Does anyone know what they have done recently that makes them worth considering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Midnight said:

A couple of articles on Narrowboatworld suggesting the IWA has lost its mojo and NABO as a credible alternative.
https://www.narrowboatworld.com/12726-what-s-happened-to-the-iwa
https://www.narrowboatworld.com/12727-there-is-always-nabo

I believe us boaters desperately need an independent organisation who will vigorously take CaRT to task over its abysmal record on closures and management. I don't know much about NABO they don't seem to attract very much publicity for their activities unlike the NBTA . Does anyone know what they have done recently that makes them worth considering?

 

They are active but don't make a big 'song and dance' about it.

They were particular active in compaling in a written respons to C&RT when they introduced their new T&Cs.

 

1) can board your boat without giving notice (illegal)

2) all boaters with a home mooring must follow CC rules (illegal)

 

etc etc.

 

and, their response to C&RTs latest plans to change the T&Cs

 

Urgent: CRT licence terms and conditions (nabo.org.uk)

 

Have a look for your self 

 

NABO Home

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, wandering snail said:
I've responded to the Narrowboatworld post as follows but it is just as relevant here: NABO certainly is an extremely active campaigning group that works extraordinarily hard as CRT's 'critical friend' to keep boaters' concerns to the fore. It’s perhaps a valid point that outside our membership we don’t publicise ourselves as much as we should. At the moment for example, NABO is working on a thorough response to the proposed new Terms and Conditions. It's not a very 'sexy' subject but these changes could have a negative impact for all the licence holders who will be required to sign up to them. Our concerns will be publicised shortly and I will make sure we send a copy to Narrowboatworld as well as the other Waterways press.  Please help us to keep holding CRT to account by joining NABO and adding your voice. 

Are you only anti CRT or all navigation authorities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Are you only anti CRT or all navigation authorities?

If it helps NABO have objected to the recent award by the EA  of a contract to the management of its visitor moorings to a car parking company who are wanting  a lien of your boat in the event of non payment of a penalty ticket.

Edited by Tuscan
  • Greenie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Are you only anti CRT or all navigation authorities?

Do other navigation authorities T&Cs over rule the Law ?

Do other navigation authorities stand up in court and say that "an internal memo supercedes the 1995 BW Act as it post dates it" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Are you only anti CRT or all navigation authorities?

I dont see NABO as anti CRT at all, maybe trying to hold them to account or reminding them that without boaters, the canals would be a barren ditch.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The IWA, of which I was a member for a year or so a while back, "lost it's mojo" a long time ago. I know nothing about NABO or the NBTA but if they are doing anything, as said, they are very quiet about it. As for galvanising the rest of the boating fraternity to do anything with one voice or even be concerned about the possible demise of the canal system, um only when pigs fly.

 

I no longer have a boat of my own although I do have a half share in a narrowboat. I got disillusioned with BW and then CRT a good while back even though I am an educational volunteer for CRT. I and my colleagues talk to children about water safety and canal history. It was. and still is, my hope that talking to kids about the inland waterway system would make, at least some of them, interested in taking responsibility for the canals when us lot of curmudgeonlies pop our clogs, as we inevitably will. This was something the IWA used to do when I joined them but the IWA's involvement in a lot of things canal seems to have waned dramatically in the last few years.   My take on the subject is that the CRT would love to get rid of boaters but they cannot just kick everybody off the canals because there are thousands living on the waterways. I get the impression that boaters generally are a pain to deal with from the CRT point of view.

 

I do hope I am wrong but that is the way I see it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do other navigation authorities T&Cs over rule the Law ?

Do other navigation authorities stand up in court and say that "an internal memo supercedes the 1995 BW Act as it post dates it" ?

Why would The Envirnment agency quote a BW act

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the IWA has "lost its mojo", but I feel that it is still the most respected and influential of the various waterways user organisations. 

Edited by Athy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Are you only anti CRT or all navigation authorities?

I don't see Mrs. Snail as being either. Perhaps you didn't notice her use of the phrase "critical friend", which I think is a very good one, and which I'm sure sums up her stance.

48 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I don't know if the IWA has "lost it's mojo",

I wish it would lose it's apostrophe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Are you only anti CRT or all navigation authorities?

I don't think he's anti anything - just pointing out NABO is pro boaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athy said:

 

I wish it would lose it's apostrophe.

How the heck did that happen?! I'm suitably mortified and it's too late to edit. Perhaps you could oblige sir? Thank you in anticipation. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well so far nothing to excite me into joining NABO. I don't see how changed terms and conditions or Thames signage make my life anywhere near as the hell on earth caused by the stoppages we suffer here in Yorkshire. I'm not anti-CaRT just anti letting the system decline due to financial mismanagement and policies inconsistent with a navigation authority - which I thought they are supposed to be.

.

Edited by Midnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rebotco said:

I don't think he's anti anything - just pointing out NABO is pro boaters.

I don't think he's a he.

42 minutes ago, rgreg said:

How the heck did that happen?! I'm suitably mortified and it's too late to edit. Perhaps you could oblige sir? Thank you in anticipation. 

Done!

I thought perhaps you were Reg the Greengrocer. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Athy said:

 

Done!

I thought perhaps you were Reg the Greengrocer. :D

It's still there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Well so far nothing to excite me into joining NABO. I don't see how changed terms and conditions or Thames signage make my life anywhere near as the hell on earth caused by the stoppages we suffer here in Yorkshire. I'm not anti-CaRT just anti letting the system decline due to financial mismanagement and policies inconsistent with a navigation authority - which I thought they are supposed to be.

.

You ARE anti CaRT then!..👍:P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

 

Some of the CaRT ground staff are brilliant, some volunteers are friendly and helpful, some admin and regional mangers try their best to sort out issues so I'm not totally anti-CaRT it's just the general direction of flow is disadvantaging navigation. Anyone in this area who cannot fit the gauge for the Standedge tunnel has been trapped in West Yorkshire since August 28 and the maintenance of the Rochdale, Huddersfield & Calder Navigation is poor to say the least. Mr Parry said it's too expensive to retain bank staff but how much does it cost (not just in terms of money) to employ inexperienced contractors and hire tools when needed.  So who is calling CaRT to task over those matters?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Some of the CaRT ground staff are brilliant, some volunteers are friendly and helpful, some admin and regional mangers try their best to sort out issues so I'm not totally anti-CaRT it's just the general direction of flow is disadvantaging navigation. Anyone in this area who cannot fit the gauge for the Standedge tunnel has been trapped in West Yorkshire since August 28 and the maintenance of the Rochdale, Huddersfield & Calder Navigation is poor to say the least. Mr Parry said it's too expensive to retain bank staff but how much does it cost (not just in terms of money) to employ inexperienced contractors and hire tools when needed.  So who is calling CaRT to task over those matters?

I think I know the answer to your query. I think you do too?

 

From my very limited experience, I would say that materials used are not always fit for purpose, I am thinking footbridges over bywashes and lock gates, obviously rotting, most likely due to using untreated wood. Doing repairs it make sense to use good materials as labour is so expensive. If they are done by contractors the contract should specify the requirements, and not be signed off 'til work completed to standard.

Even Health and safety is a huge issue, cold deep water, slippery locks, where could one start... :

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Some of the CaRT ground staff are brilliant, some volunteers are friendly and helpful, some admin and regional mangers try their best to sort out issues so I'm not totally anti-CaRT it's just the general direction of flow is disadvantaging navigation. Anyone in this area who cannot fit the gauge for the Standedge tunnel has been trapped in West Yorkshire since August 28 and the maintenance of the Rochdale, Huddersfield & Calder Navigation is poor to say the least. Mr Parry said it's too expensive to retain bank staff but how much does it cost (not just in terms of money) to employ inexperienced contractors and hire tools when needed.  So who is calling CaRT to task over those matters?

I am in total agreement with you,there are some fine people within crt and the volunteer brigade👍...lions led by donkeys comes to mind!!..From my experience,crt are systematically alienating boaters,whom I consider to be the waterways greatest asset.Most of us are here because of our love of the waterways.

Unfortunately,whilst the present leadership prevails,I cannot bring myself to volunteer.

It seems parry has bought the know-how of running a 3rd rate rail service to the waterways...Paying customers treated like 4th class citizens and just ignored,and the system is falling apart!!😐 Whilst those at the top fill their pockets.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I have yet to see any significant evidence to support the description 'financial mismanagement' (be careful regarding libel!) which is not a conclusion justified simply because you disagree with their priorities and budgets. 

mismanagement - the process of managing something badly or wrongly.

Toddbrook, logos, signage, cycling, covid, maintenance, tools, pubs, Punchbowl bridge,

Edited by Midnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Athy said:

(snip)

I wish it would lose it's apostrophe.

:D:unsure::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Midnight said:

Well so far nothing to excite me into joining NABO. I don't see how changed terms and conditions or Thames signage make my life anywhere near as the hell on earth caused by the stoppages we suffer here in Yorkshire. I'm not anti-CaRT just anti letting the system decline due to financial mismanagement and policies inconsistent with a navigation authority - which I thought they are supposed to be.

.

To be honest joining clubs isnt at all what I want, be it NABO or any other. In my 31 years living aboard be it BW or CART I find provided you are willing to take some crap in the fact that the system is well over 200 years old then its a good system. I will be cruising again next year and probably will find much of the system is open and useable.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.