Hello everyone!

Travels With Martin

Featured Posts

You didn't mention some of the other entrants:

- Team Josher v. Team Hudson.

- Team Thumper v. Team Phartbox.

- Team Rusty v. The Gleam Team.

- Team Licence Displayed v. Team Buggeroffandmindyerownbusiness.

- Team Fenders Up v. Team Fenders Down.

(That last team can't take part as they're still trying to get out of Hurleston lock).

3 hours ago, big d said:

So I work in tv as a cameraman and live on a boat, I normally don’t like to bring work home with me but all this talk of vlogs got me thinking. How about high production value tv show in vlog form that everyone on forum can get teeth into. I was thinking a “we are the champions” style show where teams finally settle the age old arguments through the medium of inflatable races on the cut. Show 1, team cassette, team pump out and team compost. Show 2, team traditional, team semi and team cruiser Show 3, team wood burner, team diesel stove and team espatcher. Then grand final two teams to finally decide. Team stove fan v team no fan it’s a load of tripe. Any early subs will get front row seats, all feedback welcome. Note it’s not a real idea but it’s better than some of the prime time crud I’ve been filming and also I don’t have a channel but thanks to everyone that does contribute as I’m sure a tiny amount of tv licence finds its way into my pocket. Also I’ve never done “great canal journeys “ I won’t be blamed 

you might be joking but add enough banter like gogglebox and drama of '4 in a bed' and I will watch them every week...

7 hours ago, big d said:

I was thinking a “we are the champions” style show where teams finally settle the age old arguments through the medium of inflatable races on the cut. Show 1, team cassette, team pump out and team compost.

Team pump out would start with a major handicap if they have to have a holding tank in the dinghy!

7 hours ago, big d said:

Show 3, team wood burner, team diesel stove and team espatcher.

Team Eberspacher have a rocket engine.  Isn't that cheating?

33 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Team pump out would start with a major handicap if they have to have a holding tank in the dinghy!

This isn't meant to be taken literally Biscuits old boy, otherwise Team Compost would finish a year after everyone else! No, Team Pump Out would simply empty and wash the dinghy a few weeks later whilst Team Compost would pop it in a bin bag and sling it behind the hedge.

Do try to keep up!  ;)

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

On 02/11/2020 at 18:45, dmr said:

:................... 

Its very common now for people taking up boating, or any other hobby/way of life, (and knowing very little)  to do a blog/youtube to teach others. This does appear rather odd to people who do have much knowledge and experience. I suspect people who know even less, like aspiring boaters, might enjoy watching others learn. Also, like reality TV, people do like watching other people making a mess of things. If this is your market then its a crowded one. If you have something good to offer, and 
I think you did mention history, then concentrate on that. Don't worry too much about presentation, if you know your stuff then that will be fine, I would rather listen to an expert than a "presenter".

We get a lot of new posters saying "Ive just the great and novel idea to sell my house and buy a boat and get a mooring in Bristol, has anybody else done this?   and I suppose "Ive just got a boat and had the great idea of doing a youtube channel" does sound a bit the same.

...............Dave

Cruising the Cut is a professional presenter, and has garnered many subscribers, not because of his boating skills, but due to making vlogs which are interesting and pleasant entertainment, he was a professional local news TV presenter for nine years, difficult for anyone to top that level of professionalism. He also started at at time when there were a lot less "I've sold my house, and bought a boat" vlogs.

Minimal List also have media/ film background, so they started off with a major advantage.

I also watch non boating vlogs, presented by enthusiasts, like Martin Zero, he may have some background in media, I don't know, then there was Journey with Jono, he also had a technical BBC background, and made a lot of technical vlogs, Colin Jaques vlogged his fittout, all edited and uploaded by the lovely Tracy, as I recall. Nobody is going to watch stuff that is not unique, interesting / entertaining / informative.

I never get the impression that many vlogs, with  few exceptions are training or instructional vlogs. If  very experienced boaters feel that they want to inform and educate, they will find it very difficult, after all, doing an engine service is never going to be comprehensive, and there will be little to take from starting a Gardner to a Beta 48. Exclusive use of a mobile phone, no matter how expensive, does not make good cinema. Some presenters use the income from Youtube to fund Go Pro and good mikes, they usually point this out.

I believe that Youtube are pretty tight on monetarising videos, so most folks that go in to the job to make money will be disapointed.

Edited by LadyG

On 02/11/2020 at 15:45, haggis said:

More than a little unkind and uncalled for comment, in my opinion.  Been on the sauce again ? ?

He asked admin to delete the thread he started, they won't do that, that is why I quoted his request and responded, curtly yes, rude if you like, but he has already spread confusion, already been advised why he has recieved short shrift, and seems to have chosen not to take part in the community aspects of the forum, if had done so, he would realise the type of responses he would get, so he would not have jumped in with " please subscribe".

Edited by LadyG

16 hours ago, john6767 said:

Interesting continuity towards the end, they launched the boat in St Mary's Marina, but then were shown leaving Fettlers Wharf Marina!

Lol, looks as though your just being picky.

30 minutes ago, LadyG said:

He asked admin to delete the thread he started, they won't do that, that is why I quoted his request and responded, curtly yes, rude if you like, but he has already spread confusion, already been advised why he has recieved short shrift, and seems to have chosen not to take part in the community aspects of the forum, if had done so, he would realise the type of responses he would get, so he would not have jumped in with " please subscribe".

What confusion has he spread?

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't you start your engine like this then 

Yes, everyone's got one book in them, and I appreciate it looks pretty good photography,  it's a tad 'niche', but will be appreciated by enthusiasts. 

'A' for effort, I can't comment on presentation or continuity, though I don't think that was fine, just not much in the way of explanation for the casual viewer. The point is you can't make a create a channel with one engine, it could be part of a series, which would build an audiance, some of whom can become subscribers. 

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Lol, looks as though your just being picky.

With your farming background I'm sure you noticed that in 'All Creatures Great & Small' (Vet series) which was set in the '30's it had Charolais cattle in the fields, and yet the semen (which was smuggled out of France) did not arrive into England until 1959 and the Charolis cattle breed was not recognised until 1962.

Accuracy and detail is important.

59 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Cruising the Cut is a professional presenter, and has garnered many subscribers, not because of his boating skills, but due to making vlogs which are interesting and pleasant entertainment, he was a professional local news TV presenter for nine years, difficult for anyone to top that level of professionalism. He also started at at time when there were a lot less "I've sold my house, and bought a boat" vlogs.

Minimal List also have media/ film background, so they started off with a major advantage.

I also watch non boating vlogs, presented by enthusiasts, like Martin Zero, he may have some background in media, I don't know, then there was Journey with Jono, he also had a technical BBC background, and made a lot of technical vlogs, Colin Jaques vlogged his fittout, all edited and uploaded by the lovely Tracy, as I recall. Nobody is going to watch stuff that is not unique, interesting / entertaining / informative.

I never get the impression that many vlogs, with  few exceptions are training or instructional vlogs. If  very experienced boaters feel that they want to inform and educate, they will find it very difficult, after all, doing an engine service is never going to be comprehensive, and there will be little to take from starting a Gardner to a Beta 48. Exclusive use of a mobile phone, no matter how expensive, does not make good cinema. Some presenters use the income from Youtube to fund Go Pro and good mikes, they usually point this out.

I believe that Youtube are pretty tight on monetarising videos, so most folks that go in to the job to make money will be disapointed.

Being a good presenter does not necessarily mean having good production and editing skills . . .  (but some do) Every activity of any complexity needs a mix of people each with their own contribution to make.

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, everyone's got one book in them, and I appreciate it looks pretty good photography,  it's a tad 'niche', but will be appreciated by enthusiasts. 

'A' for effort, I can't comment on presentation or continuity, though I don't think that was fine, just not much in the way of explanation for the casual viewer. The point is you can't make a create a channel with one engine, it could be part of a series, which would build an audiance, some of whom can become subscribers. 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What confusion has he spread?

I'm not going to read the whole lot again, including the youtube episodes.

If anyone wants to start a channel, they need to have a reason for doing so, it's hard work, if you want it to be worthwhile. There are some vloggers who annoy me, just as they would annoy me face to face, others may like them, and subscribe.

Anyone who wants to build a channel should really spend a bit of time 'looking at the competition', and on this forum, maybe facebook groups, ie, getting a feel for the genre.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I'm not going to read the whole lot again, including the youtube episodes.

If anyone wants to start a channel, they need to have a reason for doing so, it's hard work, if you want it to be worthwhile. There are some vloggers who annoy me, just as they would annoy me face to face, others may like them, and subscribe.

Anyone who wants to build a channel should really spend a bit of time 'looking at the competition', and on this forum, maybe facebook groups, ie, getting a feel for the genre.

But where was the confusion?

I wasn't confused but I am with what you are saying.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With your farming background I'm sure you noticed that in 'All Creatures Great & Small' (Vet series) which was set in the '30's it had Charolais cattle in the fields, and yet the semen (which was smuggled out of France) did not arrive into England until 1959 and the Charolis cattle breed was not recognised until 1962.

Accuracy and detail is important.

I didn't watch it this time around, I knew and used some of the vets, as I lived and worked in Yorkshire in the 1960's, Some of the farms I visited had no mains electricity, the byres up in t'dales were probably much as described in the books, though wooden partitions were all removed when it was realised it was possible to erdicate  TB , for two generations, anyway.

I used to visit all the dairy farms, there were many, mostly mixed farming, family farms and they still sent milk in 10 gallon churns to the Dairies. There was one still milking by hand (eight cows) many were Dairy Shorthorn, the bull calves could be raised for beef, a lot of Ayrshires and Ayshire x Friesian, and that was before Holsteins.

Film-makers would be hard put to it to find a herd of Beef Shorthorn, or even horned Hereford, but of course, Charolais look so much more photogenic!

Edited by LadyG

On 02/11/2020 at 15:45, Tracy D'arth said:

Ooh-er, did I set you off?

T'D

I'm trying to show OP how to hide his posts, , admin won't delete it just 'cos he asks, as he now knows, because I have told him!

It's only week one, and plenty of scrapping, goodness knows how long it will be before the "ghost" threads with lack of continuity keep us guessing as to what comment could possibly have caused Athy to press the button, and there may even be other mods who start logging on if they are furloughed, if that is still available.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I watched all of this series but I liked almost nothing about either his idiosyncratic fitout or his whimsical presentation. His skill and invention kept me watching despite myself.